World War One Centennial Exhibit in N.C.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For anyone within striking distance of Raleigh, N.C., I'd recommend the current exhibit at the North Carolina Museum of History observing the centennial of the end of World War One, with a comprehensive display of uniforms, weapons, helmets, artillery shells, trench simulations, trench periscopes, gas masks, photographs, old movie footage, video re-enactments, battlefield relics, and so on. This is done with studious attention to historical correctness but also to engaging and entertaining kids and the public. Undergirding the exhibit is the appalling grimness of the war in which the U.S. alone lost 116K (hope I have the number) among the millions of other nations. This was particularly poignant for my wife and me because her father was a teenage Army cook in the trenches; he was born in 1898. He suffered his whole life from the aftereffects of mustard gas, though he was a happy upbeat guy otherwise, in V.A. hospitals and out. This is a fully researched and authenticated exhibit with weapons and uniforms from all sides. We happened to intercept a docent who gave a lively presentation on life in the trenches and who passed around a gas mask, a trenching tool, uniform items, and other items. I can say this was fun, exactly, but it is well done and historically correct. You won't regret taking the time to visit this if you can.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
That sounds interesting. I'm always fascinated by any war film, historical display and simulations. Sounds like it could be a very interesting trip indeed! If I wasn't already going to be out of town this weekend, that could have been something to do. Do you have any idea how long it will be on exhibit?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
carolina', I'm sorry, I meant to mention ... it will be at the museum until January, not sure exactly what date. Probably better in November than December, for holiday crowds, and people who will put it off until the last few days. It's good enough, I'd say, don't miss it. For people a little further away, I'd say, if I didn't live in town, I'd still think it was worth an overnight, if necessary.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I believe closing day is January 6, 2019, a Sunday. Admission is free. So far I think this is the most-attended temporary exhibit in museum history, so that tells you something. Yes, Pipes by George is not far away.

Status
Not open for further replies.