PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I will be starting a part time position in a local B&M that has a large cigar humidor and a great selection of pipes and tobaccos. I'll finally be able to smoke at work! I'm hoping to learn much about the tobacco trade and it promises to be fun if nothing else. Now I just have to be careful not to hand all my earnings back over to the boss due to PAD and TAD! The owner and I have been freinds for years and I'm looking forward to helping him out. I've been a tradesman all my life and became diabled in 2011 enough that I can no longer do that type of work and it's really exciting for me to get back to doing something useful outside the house and also to be working in an environment that contains so much of what I love.
I'm going to need a bigger pipe rack!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
What a lucky break for your boss's customers. So few pipe shop sales people have any knowledge or

much interest in pipes, although most try. You likely know most of the shapes, many of the brands,

and a good deal about tobacco, and learn a little more every time you go online. Let 'em browse their

brains out. Give them good information. Admit when you don't know something. I bet you'll sell a

truck load.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I had a similar problem when I worked in a giant antiquarian bookstore years ago in the summer between classes. I kept spending all the money I made buying books!

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Settersbrace
Good luck in this new endeavor. It sounds perfect for you, getting out of the house to work enjoying yourself while being productive
Congrats and good luck

Dec 24, 2012
Good for you. Sounds like a fantastic gig. Is this place like LJ Peretti where you can just dip your pipe in and fill up a bowl any time you want?

Aug 14, 2012
I worked in the NYC Peterson's when I was in high school. Great job even if a lot of my time was spent selling cigarettes. Have fun.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Good for you. Sounds like a fantastic gig. Is this place like LJ Peretti where you can just dip your pipe in and fill up a bowl any time you want?
Peck, yes it is and cigar sampling is also encouraged.
There's a smallish pipe club gathering there each month and I'm aquainted with a couple of the members. If I'm able to bolster the pipe side of the business in any way, I'll certainly do my best. The shop has been around a good while, has a great location and even in the worst of economic times it has done well. I'd credit that to the fact that they go out of their way to make the customer feel important to them and I know there are several that travel farther than I'd go on a Saturday just to hang out and smoke all day. There are several cigar events and occasionally a pipe maker will be on hand for a day here and there. I met Louis Viparti there a few years back and I've rolled my own cigars on more than one occasion. I'm pretty happy to have the opportunity and thanks for the well wishes!

philthy

Lurker
Jun 11, 2010
I worked Saturdays at my local B&M shop. I was the only real pipe smoker and after a while the pipe business noticeably picked up. I loved every minute of it. Eventually I had to give it up because weekends were the only time I really got to spend with my sons. Maybe someday that opportunity will come back around . I hope it works well for you.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Congratulations! I enjoyed the years I worked part-time at a mall-based pipe/tobacco shop. Heck, I even relished the rush that came with working mall retail on Black Friday! Hope you have a wonderful time at the shop.
Bob

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
settersbrace, this job will likely generate some great stories. I'm not sure you can come back and recount

most of these on Forums, since customers might read them and complain. The most priceless, you might

disguise enough to pass along. It's a great opportunity to observe human nature. Best advice is not to push

people. The guy who strides out without buying anything may be back the next day with cash in hand.

How people decide and choose is a study in itself. I think a good closing line, if a sale hasn't happened, is

to just say, "Well, think about it. You might decide it's what you want." Leave the door open. I've seen

salespeople skunk a sale themselves, when there was no need to do so.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
For those that may be close to the are it's located just a few miles north of Pgh, PA and the shop is named Allegheny Smokeworks. So if your on here and have or can stop in, please do. I am not sure what kind of schedule I'll be working but I'll have that ironed out tomorrow.

kanaka95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 2, 2014
Good deal bro.But i suspect that the boss will have no problem paying you as i think he knows he will be getting most of it back.And that's not a bad thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.