PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwpiperman

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2018
Hey All,
This evening, relaxing and having a wonderful smoke....and doing a comparison since I'm very new to pipe smoking. My first bowl this evening was Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired, smoked in my Savinelli Venere 670KS. I very much enjoyed the smooth, dark flavor.
The next was a unique experience...My first Churchwarden (Savinelli Quandale Smooth 315KS). The tobacco was Dunhill Nightcap (and still is, as I'm smoking it right now). I found that drying the tobacco somewhat under an incandescent bulb for a short time really helped with keeping the tobacco lit, and smoothening out the smoke.

An amazing flavor, I find I'm quite partial to English blends (the latakia calls to me....). The ChurchWarden is quite amazing....very open draw even with balsa filter, lots of flavorful smoke, cool and tasty, and I feel a bit like Gandalf....LOL
In any case, I can tell that the nicotine level is a bit higher in the Nightcap, and my cadence (breath smoking) has been deliberately slower because of that. All in all, I'm loving the comparing of the two tobaccos, I really like both for different reasons (there's almost a "bread" quality to the Old Dark Fired that is very soothing and appealing), and I'm really noticing an almost incense like quality to the Nightcap (and yes, I did eat before the Nightcap).
This hobby is going to be quite a ride!
CW

whiteburleydude

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 4, 2017
Nice. Nightcap nicotine never really bothered me. Old Dark Fired in a KS though, that would perk me up a good one.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Happy to see that you took Harris' (cigrmaster) recommendation on Old Dark Fired.

He has also posted an excellent list of Virginia flakes that will guide you through that genre when you're ready.

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/for-all-the-new-folkscigrmasters-list-of-flakes

Status
Not open for further replies.