Women overtake men in IQ tests for the first time in 100 years...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
...(but is it all down to multitasking?)
'The complexity of the modern world is making our brains adapt and raising our IQ. The full effect of modernity on women is only just emerging.'
One theory is women's ability to multitask as they juggle raising a family and going to work,
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2173808/Women-overtake-men-IQ-tests-time-100-years-multitasking.html#ixzz20ikgK1tC

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
As a self confessed mono-tasker, I hereby bow to modernity and the fairer sex, and respectfully withdraw from competition.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
This does not really surprise me much, women, in my opinion, are generally a pretty intelligent bunch. It amazes me how some women can keep a house, raise kids and work full time as well; especially if doing it alone for whatever reason (divorce, etc.).

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
As George Carlin said in his routine on religion and the poor results we have in the world, " and I say this guy, cause no woman could or would f#*k things up this bad"

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I just score lower now, because I know if I score higher, they'll make me do more work. I'm not dumber, I'm just smarter at slacking.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Haha. Yeah, it's true. When you work for yourself you still nearly kill yourself working, but at least the payoff is yours when it happens! It all just boils down to who you want to kill yourself and be poor for, you or some other guy. I'm hoping to take that risk, myself, soon, but I have a couple debts to the man left to pay first.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Whoops.. I thought this was about tobacco.. you know... that Lane Limited blend. Oh well :puffpipe:

mrmccarthy

Might Stick Around
May 29, 2012
I took a AP Psychology class in high school and we talked about IQ scores a lot. Turns out, they are a horrible yardstick to measure intelligence with seeing as how there are many different type of intelligence while IQ tests measure only one kind.
Here is an interesting forum about what im talking about.
http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/threads/240955-Are-IQ-tests-a-TRUE-measure-of-quot-intelligence-quot

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I took a AP Psychology class in high school and we talked about IQ scores a lot. Turns out, they are a horrible yardstick to measure intelligence with seeing as how there are many different type of intelligence while IQ tests measure only one kind.
I essentially agree. This is an over-simplification, but basically there is IQ (left brain) EQ (right brain, emotional intelligence) and SQ (spiritual intelligence...which, imo, could be described as the integration and transcendence of IQ & EQ). A great book on SQ, imo, is: SQ: Connecting With Our Spiritual Intelligence:
http://www.amazon.com/SQ-Connecting-Our-Spiritual-Intelligence/dp/1582341311/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1342478508&sr=1-1&keywords=sq
EDIT: I would also add that I question the conventional notion that you are born with a set IQ that can't be changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.