PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

frennchy11

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 28, 2011
I got all four wisdom teeth taken out 5 days ago now and have been really wanting to smoke. My question for you guys is, has it been long enough to smoke? I hear a lot of different answers but im not sure. The only pain really is that my bottom molars are moving around a bit but nothing major.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
I think it depends on how old you are frennchy. I waited until I was 30 to have mine out. I've been told that

the older you are the longer it'll take to heal, and the worse it'll affect you.

(Just some info.... not gonna say if it's been long enough or not... that's a thing for the Doc I think).

grizzly86

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2012
I had all 4 of mine cut out when I was in high school. Back then I was smoking nails, and had no problem lighting up the next day. That being said, I had a friend who had his cut out later that year and ended up in quite a bit of pain.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
+1 Old Cajun.
You will likely regret it. Smoking will dry out the mouth, making it harder to heal, and may cause other problems for you as well. This is a time to be patient. If you give it enough time, you'll be able to light up soon enough with no complications.

kabong30

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2012
I have heard a number of horror stories about "Dry Socket". You don't want it. Stay away from straws as well.

ohiopuffer

Can't Leave
May 18, 2012
If you can ask your dentist when it would be safe.You do not want a dry socket I had a buddy who smoked after his were pulled and he was in agony from dry socket.My advice would be wait as long as you can.When I had mine pulled I used the opportunity to get off cigs and I have never looked back.Also kabong is right from what I have heard any kind of suction can cause a dry socket.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I would give it at least a week for sure. I was smoking nails back when I had mine done. I only gave it 3 days and it really messed with my healing time.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
I didn't know a thing about dry socket ... and here I was about to say "go ahead and puff if you can stand the sting!"
Yeah, better safe than sorry, just wait until the "socket" is healed close and you should be fine.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
I was 19 or 20 when I had all four removed. Healed up quick and was back in action smoking nails. That was 20 years ago so I can't remember how long I waited. Oral tissue is one of the quickest to heal but personally I'd give it another week just to be safe. I had friends get the dreaded dry socket and it wasn't pleasant for them.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
zanthal, dry socket is when the clot breaks from the removal of the tooth and is incredibly painful. Were talking shooting pain down your jaw, like an ice pick being rammed down. They pack it with gauze which hurts like the mother when they put it in. Then it is replaced every other day. This is why they say you should not drink out of a straw or smoke as creates a vacuum which can destroy the clot. My gauze was also soaked in liquid dilauted so after the intial pain, everything was nice and mellow.
Give it more time, frenchy, or until your dentist says you are out of the woods for that to happen.

erdnase

Might Stick Around
Aug 16, 2012
Greetings,
A friend of mine got dry socket. It's no joke! He said it was the worst pain ever.
Onward...

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
I would wait until it heals, you dont want to "suck" out the blod clot that is forming where the teeth were...5 days...I would give it another week to 10 days and just think the longer you wait the better the smoke will be...

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
your not suppose to even suck through a straw from what I've heard. It is the sucking part of the pipe that gives you dry socket I believe. I've been doing research as I have to get mine out in January.

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
Got 1 of my wisdom pulled 16 years ago. I was smoking that night. UMMMM well it wasn't tobacco. Didn't have a problem from smoking though. I have to get 2 wisdom teeth yanked this month and I'm giving it a week before i smoke.. If you need some vitamin n try nasal snuff.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I had a jaw tooth extracted last year, and I didn't smoke or drink for quite awhile to allow it to heal. You are better safe than sorry - smoke and suction are nothing but irritants... You shouldn't smoke with sores in your mouth unless you want to make things worse.
Luckily, however, I was born without wisdom teeth as proven by dental xrays taken last year, so I can't know what you are going through!

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
shawn make them take all of them out. My dentist told me to have that done even though only one is bothering me. It is cheaper and less of a hastle for you in the long run and it doesn't make more money for the surgeon then he or she needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.