Winter Is Coming!! Can't smoke as much....

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

beerandbaccy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 22, 2015
UK
As winter is well and truly on its way I can't smoke my pipe as much. I am in rented housing and can only smoke out on the patio.... not as much fun in the cold and rain! How do you all smoke in the winter and do you miss your pipe if you have to curtail your hobby in the winter?
I don't like chewing tobacco but I keep a MM cob on my coffee table and often have it sticking out of my mouth while watching TV or working on the laptop. Even though it's unlit I find it helps! I am also trying to kick cigarettes which I started smoking again after 12 years of not. The pipe helped keep the cravings at bay but now I'm struggling.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Winter is coming and for the desert southwest It's time to smoke even more. I'm sure its tough to smoke when its cold outside, but try smoking (your pipe) when its 117 degrees outside. You're more likely to combust than your baccy.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Winter is coming and for the desert southwest It's time to smoke even more.
I look forward to West Texas winters, we get plenty of snow/ice storms, but for the most part it's good weather to sit on the porch or in the garage and enjoy a smoke.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I'm in the exact same situation as Ashdigger. In southern Arizona, winter is when you go out and enjoy the weather; summer is when you hibernate, indoors and away from the heat.

akfilm

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2016
I thankfully have a garage that I can smoke in, routinely smoke in my car, and have a window during the day that I can smoke in my home office (up to 2 hours before the wife gets home from work). The biggest thing now as the weather cools and winter fast approaching, is my lunting is pretty much a no-go. If I wish to smoke while walking the dog, we are getting to cigar season. I have found a couple pipes that can handle the colder weather a little better which elongates my season outside, but I have to smoke smart.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
@Coyote- I'd ask you to list all the other advantages of moving from Long Island, but I don't think we have the bandwidth to support it! A few of my faves, though: No shoveling snow, no busting your ass slipping on ice, and no buying a new car twice a month because of road-salt rust!

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
I can't smoke inside either. Though the lady and I can sit on the covered porch and smoke. Northern Indiana east of Lake Michigan is blizzard country, though sometimes the lake can warm us a bit, if it's not frozen over. My solution? I wear a coat. Sometimes gloves. A hood if it's really coming down. According to some on this site, if you pack your pipe well, you can smoke it upside down in the rain and snow. I might try it this winter. Stay warm! :)

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
@Mayfair- There's just something wrooooong about depending on Lake Michigan to actually warm you up! Makes me shiver just thinking about it.

Mar 1, 2014
Winter means I get to smoke my pipe again!
I only smoke my pipes in the barn (clean cement floor) but during the summer months there are thousands of mosquitos occupying that space.

I've used a temporary shelter before, but this summer I just wasn't up for it after I spilled my drink while trying to swat one of the mosquitos that got in, at which point I just decided to wait until they're all dead.

(I'm also on an extremely limited smoking schedule because of undergoing orthodontic work.)
Spring and fall are really the ideal times, Butane is still gaseous above freezing temperatures and you don't have to worry about the bugs.

The best time I've ever had with a pipe was lounging in the sun on a March afternoon when the warm winds just start to come in.

After your body acclimatizes to 20 degrees below freezing, just a few degrees above puts you in the mood to sit around in shorts and a T-shirt.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
@Coyote- Firm pack, got it! :)
@Frozenchurchwarden- Agree, Spring and Fall are my favorite smoking seasons. We haven't seen 20 below in a LONG while. You truly put the FROZEN in Frozenchurchwarden!!
@Voorhees- :clap:

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Vorhees, I smoke in my home office, but nothing beats sitting on the patio with a drink and just letting the day slip away or get going.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I have a heated shop, so smoking the during the winter time is not an issue for me. It only takes a few minutes for it to heat up, and I'm good to go. Its actually worse in the summer time as the sun shines directly on the shop, so in the evenings the shop will be hotter than outside on the hot days.

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
I'm in upstate NY and I use my garage and a space heater right by my chair. Only when it gets sub zero is it unbearable as the garage starts to get below 20. I usually layer and throw on my carhart jacket. I've been known to shovel snow with a cob hanging out of my mouth, though not very quickly, it's usually during the evening when I want to make sure I don't have too much to go through with the blower in the morning. I have flip up wool mittens that are great for it too. They have nice leather grips and if I need to feel what I'm doing I can slip a few fingers out. I guess it's all in what you like. When I hunt muzzle loader season which is the first two weeks of December I will smoke a pipe in the stand because I don't really care if I shoot a deer then it's just an excuse to be in the woods!

indianafrank

Oct 15, 2014
Here in NY my pipe smoking slows down to about a bowl a week starting around December. I can't smoke indoors. I'm good smoking in the garage until December when it begins to get cold, but when the temperature gets to -20 the garage which is not heated is no fun to sit in even with a pipe.

ltstone

Dec 30, 2015
My wife and I are separated and I'm renting a basement apt. I would just go for a car ride and smoke my pipe but she took the Vehicle too and I just have my motorbike which isn't much good to me in Canada during the winter :(

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
South Louisiana winters, are the best, low Humidity,East porch when the North winds are not strong, South Porch when they are whistling .Little Piperoom when it gets too cold. Our old Feed store closed, we would meet up early in the morning, smoke, talk politics, Believe it or not I was the youngester in the group. I would always take the contrary view and Boy would the Cajun French fly. They always tried to stump me by bringing an obscure farm tool and asking me what that was, HeHe, my OldGerman Grandfather was a Blacksmih on the side and I had seen about all . Good coffee, smoke filled store and good conversation, boy do I miss that place.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I bought a kick ass air filter. I don't find it as pleasant as outside.....but outside in Chicago, in January is not an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.