Not open for further replies.
Oct 12, 2014
20141213_105328_zpssquxf0bc.jpg
[/url][/img]
Potted N. Rustica

Oct 12, 2014
20141213_105227_zpsmf4smzpx.jpg
[/url][/img]
4 Burley & 6 Va. If the frost stays away this should work out. I am concerned about the daylight time & strength of sun. We'll see! I will be putting in a real crop in Feb/March probably 50 or so plants when I know the sun will be stronger and no chance of frost. This was just a little experiment for fun.
I live in S. Florida in USDA zone 10a but we still get occasional frost. I will attempt to cover them should this come to be. There wasn't any last year so fingers crossed :)

Oct 12, 2014
This is one of the best times of the year for tomatoes...much too hot in summer
20141213_114420_zpsbo2y9ke3.jpg
[/url][/img]
20141213_114755_zpsogv1usek.jpg
[/url][/img]
Also have Dwarf Meyer lemon, mysore raspberry, dwarf Persian lime, blueberries, and Barbados Cherry going. Pickling cucumbers, mint,cilantro,parsley, dill, green bell pepper etc

Oct 12, 2014
Those tomatoes are very cramped in my box but it's easier to grow them on the lanai then the yard for bugs/soil reasons! Oct - March is best planting times

Oct 12, 2014
As you may guess if they issue a frost watch/warning panic ensues :)
'I'm in southern Louisiana. I've thought about trying my hand at growing something just haven't pulled the trigger' --- give it a go when your weather is right..if I'm not mistaken I do believe there is a certain tobacco that's quite famous from your parts :)

Amazing! I am jealous. My area is usually great for some citrus, so I babied several keylimes and an orange tree, and last year in the freak winter weather lost them all, along with a peach tree, which usually has no issues here growing at all. I've tried growing tomatoes year round in the greenhouse, but we get just enough hot snaps to make that a challenge also. I could keep tomatoes growing, but not producing fruits.

Oct 12, 2014
'. I could keep tomatoes growing, but not producing fruits'
This is what they will do in the summer here too. I've kept the plants alive just fine but they will not set fruit. Sorry about your winter loss that sucks. I'm surprised by the peach tree dying, that's a pretty tough tree, doesn't it need yearly frost/freeze as part of its cycle to grow/fruit? We can't plant those down here they won't produce anything. Much to hot.

Oct 12, 2014
It is awesome to be able to grow in the winter. It is a total shite show when there is a frost warning. Lots of ag in this area. Tomato, citrus, strawberry, blueberry, lettuce, cucumber all grown fall through spring. If we have a chance of going low 30's the news will cover it live with reporters stationed all over the area. Farmers will hire helicopters to spray water on crops all night so they don't freeze. Everybody with a garden or tropicals is panicking, covering or bringing in plants. It sucks..Thankfully it's pretty rare. I'm close to the ocean so that helps.
It's been craptastically cold this week with highs barely hitting 70 and lows in the upper 40's. Warming for upcoming week yay :) I'm a total cold baby.

Oct 12, 2014
An update:
The tobacco did indeed grow, to about less then half the size it should have! Its mini me tobacco! Its been a fun little experiment seeing that while it will indeed grow here in the winter, it requires a much stronger sun. I didnt bother topping all the plants so the bottom picture is a flowering Golden VA. My main crop will go in sometime in Mar and will be much larger and certainly more productive :)
20150121_151845_zpsw4om2vjd.jpg
[/url][/img]
20150121_151907_zps7xzjwqsq.jpg
[/url][/img]

Oct 12, 2014
No need. You've grown before you know the seeds are tiny and those 2 plants will produce more seeds then I could ever use.
I dont mind buying a stamp for the envelope. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.