Winter Beards and Pipe Smoke

(43 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by blueeyedogre
  • Latest reply from kashmir
  1. blueeyedogre

blueeyedogre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I sport a beard in the winter to help fend off the cold and even in its early stages of growth the fiance has started commenting on picking up on the whatever flavor I might be smoking that day (she likes Mac Baren Vanilla Cream). Anyone else notice smoking with a beard and holding on to certain "flavors" afterwards?

"Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong." - Corinthians 16:13
    "Let us be English or let us be French . . . and above all let us be Canadians." – Sir John A MacDonald
    "The world was to me a secret which I desired to divine." - Frankenstein, Mary Shelley
    Posted 5 years ago #
  2. brdavidson

brdavidson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I believe the term you are looking for is the "stache" note of the tobacco! I've had a goatee for years, just grew in a full beard (in relative terms anyways) for the first time. The stache note is one of the hidden pleasures of pipe smoking!

Posted 5 years ago #
  3. voorhees

voorhees

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't grow a very good mustache, so the chin beard is it.

Jason
    Posted 5 years ago #
  4. brdavidson

brdavidson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I hear you Vorhees, my goatee grew in quickly when I grew it 15 years ago, my beard however took 2 months before it looked like something more than my cat rubbing up against my face. Frankly, it was a bit embarrassing.

Posted 5 years ago #
  5. philip

Philip

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I wear the same beard year round.
    The pipe tobacco may help a little, but it usually smells like chlorine from the local swimming pool.

Posted 5 years ago #
  6. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Okay, I'm rooting for the Cards (in the World Series) but I think the Boston Red Sox beards are not good publicity for beards.
    If the team were out hunting elk or Grizzly, or mining iron ore, they'd look about right. But out on the diamond, they just
    look unkempt. A few guys insist on grooming their beards, and they look great (except I don't like to see them score). But
    some of those man-of-the-mountain numbers just look corny. Stand by for the Boston Red Sox fans.

Posted 5 years ago #
  7. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I didn't like my beard at first, but it grew on me

Posted 5 years ago #
  8. brdavidson

brdavidson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

wow Peck! Lol.

Posted 5 years ago #
  9. bluesmk

bluesmk

Login to Send PM

Oh yeah! I sport one 1/2 of the year, Oct. to Easter.

Dan
    Gabrieli Pipes
    PS: Problem is Herself usually notices after a good Diesel or JdN cigar....and it ain't good! LOL!

Posted 5 years ago #
  10. pylorns

pylorns

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Basically if I don't shave for 2 weeks I have a pretty hefty stuble/beard going - which is what I do to start a beard in the late fall. Where I'm at in Texas we have a late start generally to the cold snap - so once that happens I start to let the beard grow - and then get rid of the whole thing soon as spring hits or the cold weather quits - which sometimes can be February.

Posted 5 years ago #
  11. voorhees

voorhees

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

brdavidson, I have been growing this facial hair for about 2 years with very little trimming(except to keep it neat)and its just where it is.
    Phillip, you sir have an epic beard.

Posted 5 years ago #
  12. chaplainmike

chaplainmike

Login to Send PM

I started growing mine back in June and trimmed it in September. I am trying for the Santa Claus look for the children in the hospital that I work at. I cannot have any oders on my person because of the sick children, so the only time I get some residual is on the weekends. My wife smells it more so than I because she is a non-smoker.

Posted 5 years ago #
  13. foggymountain

foggymountain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I must disagree with mso189. I like the Red Sox beards, even if they are overtrimmed.

Posted 5 years ago #
  14. swampmouth

swampmouth

Login to Send PM

Ah yes, as long as you like it, an added benefit. I'll bring the whole thing up for a whaff just as a reminder.

Posted 5 years ago #
  15. smeigs

smeigs

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

that is one awesome beard foggy! I have a pretty thick mustache goin these days.. I am not allowed to grow a beard due to my job but when I retire I hope my beard is half as awesome as that one!

“A pipe in the mouth makes it clear that there has been no mistake–you are undoubtedly a man.”
    Posted 5 years ago #
  16. dragonslayer

dragonslayer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

During my business years (1980-2004) I wore a tight trimmed fag beard (no offense) because I have a "baby face" and found it added a few years to my credibility appearance. You think it doesn't matter but I shaved it off once in Hawaii and all of a sudden the Japanese corporation heads all asked me my age and had "that look". I grew it back immediately. For some reason a good proportion of my clients were gay... and no I'm not gay , married 29 years, 3 kids and would have come out of the closet by now and my diamond earing is in the left ear. During those years I was a Hemingway smoker and the aroma defiantly would hang in there. Now I'm old and shave when I go out or tanning, trying to be the kid that never grew up. Though when I'm in hermit mode which is during the winter it does come in (gray on a blonde doesn't work) and I enjoy a little Haddo's Delight or SJF for a few hours after a bowl.

I can't imagine how long it would take to grow a froggy beard lols. A decade maybe...

Craig

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.” Patrick Henry
    Posted 5 years ago #
  17. petes03

petes03

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yes, I do notice the "stache" note! I can grow a stellar stache, but I struggle with the beard. I'm trying like hell to grow one though! It's aggravating, my Dad can grow a "Grizzly Adams" in a few weeks, whereas me and my brother are stuck with the patchy beards from my Mom's side of the family. I started back at the beginning of the month, I'm gonna let it go through November and see how it looks. If it's any kind of decent I'm gonna keep it! Wether the wife likes it or not!

Awesome beard Foggy, BTW! I see you're smoking your southern fried Tennessee made pipe as well!

Posted 5 years ago #
  18. bullbriar

bullbriar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My annual beard came a bit early this year...in time for the Red Sox Postseason!!!!! GO SOX!!!!!!

If you could kick the person in the pants most responsible for your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month.

Theodore Roosevelt.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  19. piperl12

piperl12

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just shaved my beard it was looking a little too much Duck Dynasty. I find if I have to go somewhere in a suit and wear a tie that a large beard just doesn't work. But we were working on a cottage on the lake today and man do I miss the insulation quality. Usually I keep my beard until after moose season and then shave it down to a Goatee for the Christmas party season. Then the whole process starts again for another year.

Posted 5 years ago #
  20. slownumbers39

slownumbers39

Login to Send PM

I am truly in awe of foggymountain's beard, well done!

I usually sport a goatee, but for Movember I have decide to grow a full beard, likely for the winter months.

Posted 5 years ago #
  21. slownumbers39

slownumbers39

Login to Send PM

Double post.............my bad.

Posted 5 years ago #
  22. User has not uploaded an avatar

instymp

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Foggy, you look great, but should live down here in the mountains in western NC!
    Blueeye... its gonna smell like whatever you smoked or wherever it was!

Posted 5 years ago #
  23. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

@Foggymountain, I always thought your avatar was a pic of Alexander Solzhenitsyn. Now I know better.

@instymp, where are you located? I'm also in Western NC.

Posted 5 years ago #
  24. jeepnewbie

jeepnewbie

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I would love to grow a beard, but am unable to due to my job. I grow a stache instead but even it isn't like what I really want (center is a bit thin, and looks like I shave the center off). I would like to grow a full beard but the sides of my mouth don't connect to the rest of it growing on the jaw line. So when I did grow one I just grew a long goatee and some huge sideburns. I miss having that facial hair.

Foggy, sir you have the beard I dream of having!

"Keep it Classy"
    Posted 5 years ago #
  25. mortonbriar

mortonbriar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

i wear my beard on the inside, since my baby cheeks just refuse to push anything out...

I don't really care if the cup is half full or half empty, I just want something to sip on.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  26. piperl12

piperl12

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@jeepnewbie what job do you do that doesn't allow a beard? I always wondered with all the laws about what they can't tell you that you can't do ie tattoos how they can dictate facial hair.

Posted 5 years ago #
  27. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've had a goat (Van Dyke) since I was 16, but I've been letting it grow out to a full beard since this August. I figured this would be the time, before it all goes completely white, as a redhead it's taking on more of a paprika look now, LOL.

I did shave it all off once about 15 years ago, but I didn't recognize myself in the mirror. I will NEVER do that again.

I smell like whatever I smoked regardless. But, I like an aromatic for the drive in to work. It suits me better than some tooty fruity cologne.

Michael
    Posted 5 years ago #
  28. blueeyedogre

blueeyedogre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Damn Foggy, your wife is far more understanding then mine. Mine has threatened to cut mine off in my sleep if I let it go too far...... I replied "What is TOO FAR?!?"

Posted 5 years ago #
  29. petergunn

petergunn

Login to Send PM

Anyone else notice smoking with a beard and holding on to certain "flavors" afterwards?

Nope I only store food in my beard.

Posted 5 years ago #
  30. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Sigh...got nothing better to do so I smoke a pipe and grow beards.

Posted 5 years ago #
  31. undecagon

undecagon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I keep a beard year round. Have done so for the past decade.

However, in winter, the beard gets a bit longer, and the hair gets a lot longer.

"I said NO camels, that's FIVE camels...can't you count?!"
    AJHvibes.com
    Posted 5 years ago #
  32. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love this...

Posted 5 years ago #
  33. User has not uploaded an avatar

instymp

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

phonomet, Weaverville

Posted 5 years ago #
  34. blueeyedogre

blueeyedogre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ha ha ha That's awesome!!

Posted 5 years ago #
  35. undecagon

undecagon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Posted 5 years ago #
  36. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ha ha, love it!! Yeh, I grow my beard to get those senior discounts at restaurants.

Posted 5 years ago #
  37. jeepnewbie

jeepnewbie

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@Piper - I'm in the military

This makes me laugh every time I see it.

Posted 5 years ago #
  38. bludgeoningdeath

bludgeoningdeath

Login to Send PM

I've only trimmed the sides of my beard once in two years. Otherwise no cutting at all. My gal says my beard is bigger than her head lol. I started noticing the stache note as well and my gal surely does. Not a bad thing but she doesn't care much for Latakia.

Posted 5 years ago #
  39. av8scuba

av8scuba

Login to Send PM

@instymp - ahh the fond memories of stashe note from high school and college...before I started smoking pipes (and after).

Posted 5 years ago #
  40. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just began growing my winter beard. Mine turns pretty white so it does add 10 plus years to my look. If I am dating I never grow it out as the chicks don't dig it.

Harris
    Posted 5 years ago #
  41. piperl12

piperl12

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@cigarmaster geeze you need to see the above post with the cool Nordic looking guy smoking a pipe in a wool sweater. He made me feel guilty about shaving my beard off for wearing a suit. LOL Some chicks dig it! My wife likes it.

Posted 5 years ago #
  42. alex87

alex87

Login to Send PM

My wife loves a beard on me, hates a moustache. I'm mo-vembering it up right now so the wifey isn't pleased. Work prohibits me from growing a beard so I have to wait until xmas leave and my parental leave next year. I miss my beard....

Posted 5 years ago #
  43. kashmir

kashmir

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The pipe eases you into the present moment - savor your pipe & you'll savor this moment.
    Posted 5 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   hawky454, jeremychoate, 5star, mellobeing, brooklynpiper, haparnold, jjarrett88, papipeguy, mau1, ashdigger