PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

colcolt

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
I thought maybe you fellows would get a kick out of this pipe I bought in Williamsburg, VA back in 1980. I had forgotten I had it until today. It rest over the mantle along with a 58 caliber Zouave and is made of clay with a tiny hole in the stem, about 1/16th inch an bowl diameter sort of oblong shaped at 5/8". I think I tried smoking it once but it was a chore. I suppose it was sold more for a keepsake than a smoker.
_DEF4460.jpg

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Is that one of those pipes they sold smoking time back in the day, maybe at a bar, and you would break off a piece when your done and pass it on to the next person?

colcolt

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Don't have a clue on that. By the time it got to ol' Ben it was probably as long as Devil Anse's pipe. It reminds me of some of the Churchwarden pipes but longer...much longer.

coreyr

Lurker
Feb 4, 2013
Virginia
I just purchased on yesterday, at the Williamsburg Pottery. I am travelling, for work, at the moment but shall try a bowl in it when I get home tomorrow evening.

It cost $9.98 and came very well packaged. I did get a kick out of the period reprints on the box, "For that best Virginia Weed." LOL I think I shall be sticking with legal "Virginia Weed" for the time being. :puffy:

coreyr

Lurker
Feb 4, 2013
Virginia
http://mail.aol.com/37488-111/aol-6/en-us/mail/get-attachment.aspx?uid=28013083&folder=Inbox&partId=3
HEre is a pic. I hope

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Funny, I bought one of those pipes back in the 70s in Williamsburg too (I can only imagine how many of those they sold). I always wondered if they were truly smokable, good to know.

seanlamb63

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 20, 2013
Bethlehem
That is what commonly would be known as a Tavern Pipe. They would have been seen in the pub, once an individual was finished smoking it the next fellow would break of the used end. Hence the length of the stem itself. It was a very common practice in the 18th century and they were still used and seen up until the Mid-19th century as well.

rockvillepete

Might Stick Around
Feb 21, 2013
photoman13:
Is that one of those pipes they sold smoking time back in the day, maybe at a bar, and you would break off a piece when your done and pass it on to the next person?

Yep! That's exactly what it is. They were known as tavern pipes. I've got two of them hanging from a wall mount in the den.

nobail

Might Stick Around
Dec 26, 2011
Oregon
For anyone that buys a clay tavern pipe and it has a tough draw, mine had a nearly closed draw. I used a length of narrow cable (used for fishing downriggers) and used it to remove a small obstruction. The wire ends made just enough of a rough bit to enable me to carefully clear the draw. It also helps to put a bit of wax on the end so the dry clay will not adhere to the lip. I used a careful flame to heat the bit and applied some carnuba. It make the smoking much more pleasant.

Status
Not open for further replies.