PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevepmc

Lurker
Jul 23, 2013
Here's an interesting piece, a bit different from the current thrust.
http://pipedia.org/wiki/Willmer

stevepmc

Lurker
Jul 23, 2013
i have a Willard straightgrain AAA that I traded for at Tinder Box Santa Monica. Beautiful piece, great smoker. Clearly not a low end pipe by any criterion.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
"Willard pipes"
Welcome aboard, Sir. Interestingly the link is to the "Willmer" page at pipedia.org. Willard and Willmer are two different brands.
Regardless, I own a Willmer Bel Air billiard (their take on the Merchant Service Special billiard which was favored by the late Mr. Bing Crosby), and the quality of the briar and their craftsmanship is superb. Further, it is a good smoker. Look carefully and long and you will occasionally find estate Willmer pipes offered for sale on the Web and in brick-and-mortar shops.

stevepmc

Lurker
Jul 23, 2013
Oooops - thanks for the sharp eye. Fumble-fingered it. Meant Willmer straight grain AAA. Never heard of "Willard".

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
stevepmc:
Willard was a brand produced by Sparta Industries of Dr. Grabow fame, and one which in my opinion would lie at the complete opposite end of the spectrum from Willmer. If you have not tried a Willmer pipe, then allow me to recommend them, as I believe that you will find your search to be well rewarded.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Steve:
Inadvertently, you sucker punched several of us with this thread title. Willard pipes were giveaways during WWII and Korea courtesy of the Sparta Company and were very inexpensively available at PX's during that dust-up in French Indo-China.
But, Willmer burners? Man, that's a brand new ballgame.
Fnord

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Interesting this just came up - Mike msandoval just gave me a Willmer in the Dorset line (and an Elba and pounds of tobacco). It looks great and smokes like a champ, I'd never heard of Willmer before, but it's nice to have a second English pipe :)
031_zpsd435bd57.jpg

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
1C7B910C-1807-4E94-9C09-B0F0DC00C3CD-80181-000066786A8289B6_zpsf81ef908.jpg
. This Willmer was bought from one of Dave's Detective friend, AKA Shaintiques, it was a 1970s pipe and went on many cases, so I have a real Sherlock pipe. I also have 7 other Willmers, older and good smokes all of em. You won't go wrong with a Willmer.

Status
Not open for further replies.