PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
Will Ferrell just did an AMA ("Ask Me Anything") on Reddit and posted this photo as a proof that it's really him:
WO2sLvA.jpg

Apparently it's this older photo on the background:
wClNp8z.png

Actors use pipes often as props, but sometimes I wonder if they smoke a pipe privately, as well.

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
Haven't seen it yet, but judging from the trailer it looks like a soap spoof with high production value and A-list actors. I'm intrigued!
Someone took a screenshot of him:
ReFqfEv.png

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
The pipe looks well loved. His head looks oversized to me. Maybe it's photoshopped?

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
that is awesome!! Im a huge will ferrell fan... I would expect nothing less

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
More photos of Mr. Ferrell with a pipe:
As Ron Burgundy (I think):

ATDi8zz.jpg

From a GQ photo shoot:

sO7Qqwq.jpg

The scene above, with him and the meer, is the character he does at the beginning and end of the Spoils of Babylon, where he plays a pretentious writer/director. He wrote the whole series, and he has a scene where two army officers have to tell the family that a character is dead, and the two officers spend the whole obscure scene fiddling, tamping and lighting their pipes over and over. Very odd. He also used to have a bunch of hilarious youtube videos that he made at home, where he has a pipe also. Maybe pipes make people funnier?

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
That scene in Land of the Lost when Ferrell is getting interviewed by Matt Lauer is one of my favorites. Right there on the GMA couch he whips out a big pipe and when he tries to light it Lauer comes at him ready to fight. Hilarious!

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
I actually just started watching the series because of that reddit post. It's sorta funny - but awkward. I like the take on what they are doing though - poking fun at some of those mini-series from the late 70's and 80s. IE - like Winds of War and War and Remembrance - which are pretty damn good series - but from what I understood the author behind those was a bit of a windbag - so this spoof that they are doing is "appropriate" in some cases.

I've also noticed that they've been breaking absolutely every rule of cinematography. It's also high-brow comedy, in that you have to sort of know some of the ways in which they're breaking rules. But, he's also being very deliberate. The best part is that he is making us aware that he is making fun of his own comedic genius. I'm pretty sure he's a Va/VaPer smoker. :puffy:
edit- I just made all of that up. I figured that if I didn't understand the humor, then he has to be a genius.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
LMAO!
I love "Spoils of Babylon" and it seems to me that Will Ferrel's characterization is based squarely on the caricature that became Orson Welles.
The entire production is hammy, over the top and geared towards those wretched mini-series some of us endured during the late 70's and 80's.
Tim Robbins ripped the ass out of the first few episodes - the compass exchange was an instant classic - and his death scene had me rolling on the floor.
I'm enjoying the hell out of it.
Fnord

yorkshirepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2012
Will Ferrell is very funny as Ron Burgundy and there's a scene with him in the first Anchorman with a pipe too, glad he's public about it!

Status
Not open for further replies.