numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Just rec'd it - love it! 'nuf said. ;)
[sorry if this is the wrong forum for this type of "review"]

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Sorry about that, I should have placed it in another forum. I wrote that while sitting on the deck, MacBook on my lap. Was tricky to type, so I kept it short and sweet.
I am too new to tobaccos to give an informative review. I've only tried 4-5 blends so far, but this is by far my fav. Room note is nice, but not nice enough for my wife.
Burns smooth, not hot. No trouble lighting it and stayed lit. Super impressed—tasted fantastic. It's made right here in VT, but is (to my knowledge) an original blend from an old, well known tobacco shop in NYC, dating back to the 1800s.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
For a newbie like myself, what excites me about this blend is that I now have a reference point for a really great tobacco (and I am looking forward to having it again tonight).

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
I just had a bowl from a long forgotten mason jar that somehow got to the bottom of my cellar. Still absolutely fantastic stuff, gives me total flashbacks to what grandpas cottage smelled like in the 70s and 80s.

boudreaux

Apr 7, 2013
+1 for Pipeworks & Wilke. Originally saw comments on #191 by Six and called her. Rumcake is my favorite ( :D Yeah, I know - beating the drum - but she does have some of the best blends I've tried.) Carole's very helpful and patient.

drrock

Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
While you might be new to pipe tobaccos, you certainly were fortunate in finding one of the terrific small pipe tobacco blenders and one fine blend.

Aromatics from a place like vtpipes.com are wonderful examples of what treasures these blenders are.

Try any of their blends that sound interesting. You won't be disappointed.

petergunn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 3, 2013
Wilke tobacco is all I smoke and she broke my heart when Bohemian mix was discontinued. But there's still 191, Mettowee and Bleeker street and maybe I'll even be bold and try Rumcake :)

buckeyepaddler

Might Stick Around
Jun 1, 2013
Ohio
Smoking a bowl of Bleeker St. as I write this ... I ordered a sampler of all aros from her a couple months back, but I'm looking to order up some of her English offerings here soon. I agree, #191 is good stuff, six!!!!

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Carole does make the best aros IMHO. Most of her blends are from age-old recipes that are tried and true. 191 and rumcake are my favs, but they're all good in my book.

hfearly

Oct 11, 2012
Canada
Funny enough, I think that her English blends are what truly sets VTPipes apart from the rest of the world, and not the aromatics. No. 10 is Carole's take on Dunhill London Mixture, and blows it out of the water. High Hat is her take on My Mixture 965 I believe and way better. And then, there is 524 ... The absolute best herbal English / Oriental I've had the pleasure to smoke so far and I smoke pretty much everything Oriental. Her new No 5 is veeeery interesting too, with a super intense taste of pine needles, raisin, and some sweet incense. Time for me to put out an order again.

bullbriar

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2013
I ordered a pound of Rumcake recently, and with a bit of aging it was great. I also received a sample of 191...it will be my next order!

Aug 14, 2012
Six: You heard of mis-spent youths in pool halls. Mine was mis-spent in the Wilke pipe shop on Madison Ave in the 1950's. The better pipes were great. Never tried the tobacco.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Mine was mis-spent in the Wilke pipe shop on Madison Ave in the 1950's. The better pipes were great. Never tried the tobacco.
Ha! That's awesome foggy. I am surprised you've never tried their tobacco—some of their blends are downright famous. Unfortunately Wilke is now in VT so the taxes are just too high (the new owner/blender, Carole, is not too far from me actually). Wish I could tho - love Rumcake and 191. Best aros on the market IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.