PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 14, 2012
Bradley: Great to hear from you. I had the whole bathroom tiled that way. Going down close to zero the next few nights. We have oil heat but are burning a lot of wood too. Hope you are having a good winter.Just saw a great film "The Straight Story" from 1999. True story about a WWII veteran who went several hundred miles on a riding lawnmower to visit his sick brother. You are bound to enjoy it. Richard Farnsworth, Harry Dean Stanton, Sissy Spacek.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Foggy, nothing like having your own "pipe babe" to keep you company! Congrats! My wife and I have been smoking pipes on and off since the early 1980's. She gets kinda of possessive about some of her pipes, which is fine, but mostly we pretty much share all that we have.

We saw the "Straight Story" not long after it came out. Really a great film, starring the old "Grey Fox" himself, Richard Farnsworth. I think it was his last film as he died shortly thereafter. But it did inspire me to buy a John Deere lawnmower! :D

oldredbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2012
Very lucky indeed, fantastic Foggy. I also love the tile work, and that fire looks so cozy.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Just saw an article about how pipe smokers are calmer than other people. A pipe by the fireplace - heaven!
My wife is still flirting with the idea, she now has 3 pipes (unsmoked). She's more of a collector than a doer.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
It's great to have a wife who appreciates your hobby enough to indulge herself! And what a great picture--it's 2 degrees where I live in Michigan, and the photo reminds me of what warmth is.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's a winsome look. Here's another pipe idea for her. I recently ordered a Group 2 churchwarden from

Iwan Ries, an EWA pipe in green stain. When it came, I lit it up and it smoked well. I kept trying to read

the stamp, but couldn't quite make it out. And I finally was able to see it. It says "EWA, LADY'S." What

a hoot -- the inadvertent cross dresser. At my time of life, it "don't make no never mind," a pipe stamp

isn't going to help nor hinder my gender. But this is a good little pipe, for only $35.60, and she'd probably

like the light weight and long, but not too-long stem. Beautiful tile work, foggy. A woodstove in Manhattan,

cool! The term "lady" really infuriates some women, the putting on a pedestal thing, but pipe smoking is

a bit retro to some, so it might be okay.

oldmannk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 11, 2014
Nice warming picture. She's a keeper. You are one lucky guy!!! Does she have any friends or sisters that like pipe smoking?

Aug 14, 2012
Don't know of anyone in Manhattan with a woodstove. We are in Woodstock NY. No neighbors close enough to complain about the pipesmoking. Strangely the current snowstorm went around us--just a smidgeon of the glitter fell here. About the Straight film, I am in the same situation as he was. No driver's license, I live in a small town and don't walk much better than he did. Considering my options for getting around, a lawnmower is a possibility. Wouldn't have to pay someone to do the lawn.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
foggy, sorry about my geographical misplacement of you; you were commenting on some NYC restaurant

in one post, and I didn't realize that you were traveling. Woodstock is beautiful country, and of course, not

where Woodstock, the concert occurred, though I think the concert was planned there but ended up elsewhere.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I wish my wife would smoke with me. That would mean that she was healed of her asthma and severe allergies.
Winton

johnnyiii

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2013
hertford nc
I would be happy if mine just let me smoke. Nice catch sir!!!
I will not be rude to suggest the pipe babes page, but would if you did not seem like such a nice couple.

brassonly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 3, 2012
Thats great that you can share a nice bowl with your better half.The fire place looks pretty inviting & cozy to me right now cause were having extreme cold temps over here lately. It was -46C when I got up for work here this morning.....too cold brrrrrrr. Put some more wood in the stove & enjoy yourselves. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Status
Not open for further replies.