PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

profpar

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2011
Buford, Georgia
Just curious. Going from a regular to a larger bowl pipe is it better to have a pipe that is of the same diameter but a deeper bowl, or a pipe that has the same depth as a regular sized pipe but a larger diameter? Why? :?:

skylonrow

Might Stick Around
Feb 23, 2011
Great Britain
Wider bowls make the baccy burn unevenly, so for me its all about deep bowled pipes.
Tobacco burns in an upside down pyramid, and when the bowl gets wider a lot of the tobacco on the outside rim doesn't burn.

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
It depends on what you're smoking. If you have an aro that is more wet or goopy then you need a shallow, wide bowl for maximum smoking enjoyment. Deeper works better with straight blends that burn well and hold a cherry.
To me, smoking an aro in a deep bowl eventually turns into mud and smoking a straight tobacco blend burns too fast in a broad, shallow bowl.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
Agreed Cyndi. My break pipe is a narrow bowl that is about as big around as my pinky, but as deep as half the length of my tamper and only really dry stuff burns right. I still have no cake in the bottom and I have been smoking it for almost a year. the bottom is always just goopy.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I had a pot shaped pipe with a wide bowl.The tobacco seemed to burn down the center and leave the outside unburned.It required a lot of tamping.I prefer deeper bowls rather than wider.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
I agree with cyndi, but if i had to choose one i would go with a deeper bowl, although i have a couple that increase evenly, where it gets deeper AND wider, its proportional, those work the best for me

Reactions: john19

gwynclan

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2012
Deeper for me as well. I love my churchwarden Savanelli rustic. Nice long cool smoke. :puffy:

sherlock

Can't Leave
Aug 21, 2011
I think Cyndi is right. I smoke a lot of flake tobacco so I tend to like deeper bowels over wide ones, but again it just depends in the baccy.

classicgeek

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 8, 2010
Deeper bowls like the one on my Stanwell HCA churchwarden intimidated me at first. I wondered how on earth I would relight near the end of the bowl. Turns out it wasn't a big deal, but I still like an easygoing blend that burns well in it, as compared to one that requires lots of relights. I leave the shallow, wide bowls to blends that require my attention and a fair bit of flame.
Simon

lagavulin92

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 20, 2010
Deeper bowls may reveal a baccy's secrets but you should know what you are smoking before you stuff it in a deep bowl: if you don't get to the bottom, you don't get to the bottom, and you want to get to the bottom, even if it means blowing a bit into the bowl. If possible, use break-in rules for deep bowls. A bit of extra cake at the bottom will help you through the most challenging part!

Status
Not open for further replies.