Status
Not open for further replies.

sirsmokesalot

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2012
North Carolina
So I bought this new Nording Free hand and I decided that before I

smoked this one, I would do a salt and alcohol treatment on it to

remove some of the Impurities from it before smoking it.

The photo shown here is 30 minutes into the treatment!

I have actually added another NEW pipe cleaner to the Shank because

as you can see....The first one is just NASTY with stain!

Could this be Why our news Pipes Taste so Bad and take so Long to

break in? I'll let you decide...
100_1765.jpg

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
Thats a smart idea. I know I picked up a hand made from my B&M and packed it right there in the store and it tasted like crap. You may be on to something there.

juvat270

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 1, 2011
Could this be Why our news Pipes Taste so Bad and take so Long to

break in?
I don't know. I've never had a new pipe that I thought tasted bad except for a Dr. Grabow, but that was the mouth piece, not the smoke.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Never had a new pipe taste bad, but that is a pretty shocking amount of stain to be left in the shank. I would almost send Erik a note to let him know. If I made pipes or had people making pipes for me that were to be sold to the public for smoking enjoyment, I would want to know about something like this.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
I had trouble with a new pipe awhile back but thought it was a precarb bowl problem. I think it was actually stain on the bowl too.

smokenscotch

Nov 23, 2011
That is a beautiful pipe and you may be on to something. I haven't had a bad tasting pipe but your treatment to start could speed up the break in perhaps..

bogie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2010
I had a horrible experience with my first Nording freehand. It tasted awful! But after a while of smoking and cleaning its top notch now...i have another brand new nording I was just fixing to light up, however there was a stinch in this one as well.
I ran a pipe cleaner through the stem of the new nording and a new churchwarden as well and both came out nasty just from the stem.
So ima scrubing the inside of the stem with some everclear hoping i get a better experience this time around lol

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I have almost always done an alcohol prep before the first smoke of a new pipe, but I don't recall ever finding so much gunk in the stem. I do remember a few pipes smoking bad until a cake formed though. Always thought it was oils left in the briar. I don't remember my Nording from the mid 80's having any issues. Good luck with your pipe, my friend.

sirsmokesalot

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2012
North Carolina
OK Guys...So here we are with the same Brand new Never smoked Nording Pipe

a few hours later. Check out the Inside of the bowl. The pipe cleaner from

the inside of the shank is getting a little Better.

This is Everclear and Kosher salt I am using by the way.
100_1766.jpg

sirsmokesalot

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2012
North Carolina
I just want to say One thing here.....I am in no way bad mouthing any Nording pipes! I love them!

I have done this same thing with similar results in many other Brands of pipes.

As a matter of fact....There is a Youtube Video of a guy I know who did this very same thing I

am doing now with a Very Expensive Becker Pipe!

My main complaint is that I wish Pipe Makers in general would stop Dipping the entire pipe in stain and

just do the outside of the pipe. I know some do...But I hope the others will some day.

batdemon

Dec 20, 2011
I agree with you on that! There is no reason for the inside of the bowl or shank to have that much stain. I can see a little gettin in there but not as much as what you are getting. If they are going to dip the pipe to stain it at least make sure the bowl and shank are plugged. Just my .02. :puffy:

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
I'm just learning about pipe making, from you guys, I do know a little about gun making, because I've referbed a few, but there are several gun manufacturers that use a dipped finish, kinda same method I would think that pipe makers would take a lesson from them and PLUG THE OPENINGS. Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.