Tags:   

Why smoke a pipe?

(42 posts)
  • Started 6 days ago by gatorlope
  • Latest reply from The Pipe Monk
  1. gatorlope

gatorlope

Login to Send PM

For me, I have a literary bent and what comes to mind is Frost’s “The Road Less Taken” and Twain’s comment that “A pipe gives an intelligent man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth!”
    I detest cigarettes, never cared to try snuff and have only bought an occasional cigar when it was the last one in a box that had craftsmanship that I wished to add to my collection.
    My only experience with chewing tobacco was when a friend and I were on a farm (14 years old) and one of the old farmhands offered us each a “chaw” and suggested that we see who could chew it the longest. I finally spit it out after my friend turned green and spewed! It was truly awful!
    Over the next 50+ years I remained a non smoker (a technicality - I’d smoke 3 or 4 pipefuls in a year), but started to collect hand carved meerschaum pipes, starting with some eBeklers that I picked up when a pipe shop went out of business.
    Now that I’ve retired I’ve taken more of an interest in tobacco and have been experimenting with different blends to see what appeals to me.

Posted 6 days ago #
  2. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For me, I like the process of drying, packing, and lighting. I like how pipe smoking forces you to slow down.

I only have maybe 1 or 2 bowls a month probably, so it's a special treat to be able to sit down with a pipe.

Posted 5 days ago #
  3. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

A pipe, and everything involved in using it, is amusing.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 5 days ago #
  4. gatorlope

gatorlope

Login to Send PM

It relaxes me allowing me time for introspection and quiet consideration of the day’s events and the world at large.

Posted 5 days ago #
  5. newbroom

newbroom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For the nicotine. The added values of flavor and interesting implements, along with identifying as a minority, also, too.

Posted 5 days ago #
  6. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In the beginning I tried just holding the tobacco in my hand to smoke it, but it gets hot fast, and it's harder to keep lit. Getting into pipes has helped me maintain the use of my hands... which has improved my love life.

Michael
    Posted 5 days ago #
  7. chasingembers

chasingembers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

A pipe gives an intelligent man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth!

Considering the ever rising cost of smoking, you may want to reconsider that quote.

I use most forms of tobacco and just for the nicotine.

I like coffee exceedingly.
    - H. P. Lovecraft
    Posted 5 days ago #
  8. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Considering the ever rising cost of smoking,

Compared to cigars and cigarettes, pipe tobacco is still wildly less expensive. Even if prices doubled, it would be the cheapest form of smoking, if you compare the amount of time smoking a pipe to the various other forms.

Posted 5 days ago #
  9. carver

carver

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Personnaly, I find there is something magical about it, that I haven't really grasped yet. It feels liks the great minds that smoked reached, while smoking, an ether that us commoners that don't puff can't touch. Sherlock Holmes solving puzzles counting time in bowls, Einstein referring to it ... It also feels like a quest, In Search of the Pipe Dream ... the Perfect Smoke like they say. Feels like a closed club, an aquired taste, a learning experience.
    I love the discovery part of it, so many tobaccoes, so many pipes, so much to collect as well... so much money to waste, that's just great!

Also it's really cool to get the chicks ...

Posted 5 days ago #
  10. chasingembers

chasingembers

Login to Send PM

Compared to cigars and cigarettes, pipe tobacco is still wildly less expensive.

You can get a pound bag of RYO tobacco and a 200 count box of tubes here for under $20.

Also it's really cool to get the chicks ...

Posted 5 days ago #
  11. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When I smoked cigarettes, I would smoke a carton in 5 days, maybe 7 on a slow week. An oz or two at about $7, maybe $10 at a B&M, will last me a tad longer. As for doubling the price... if one is rolling their own, from RYO pipe tobacco, then if the price doubles, so does the RYO pipe tobacco.

Posted 5 days ago #
  12. chasingembers

chasingembers

Login to Send PM

A pack lasts me 4-5 days and I have an antique trunk full of pound bags of RYO. I'm loaded for bear on all fronts.

Posted 5 days ago #
  13. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well, comparative to pipes... if someone only smokes a bowl a day, that would equal about 10 cigarettes timewise. I have enough tobacco to last me longer than I will live, but the OP was about why smoke a pipe. I threw cost out there as one reason. I still don't think that cigarettes are anywhere near as cheap as pipes, and I live where I could still buy a pack for under $5, usually $3 and some change for a pack... and pipes are still cheaper, IMO.

Posted 5 days ago #
  14. chasingembers

chasingembers

Login to Send PM

Posted 5 days ago #
  15. drydock

drydock

Login to Send PM

For me, I like the process of drying, packing, and lighting. I like how pipe smoking forces you to slow down.

I only have maybe 1 or 2 bowls a month probably, so it's a special treat to be able to sit down with a pipe.

Agreed. And also, I find such beauty in pipes--the history of shapes. I'm fascinated by what shapes strike a chord with certain people. (For me, it's primarily zulus and smaller bowled pipes).

The current wizardry with tobacco blends is also alluring--although I've now cellared more tobacco than I can reasonably get though, and I need to seriously look at thinning that herd. Excitement outstripped reason for several years--as did a rash of old-school blenders going out of business and the creeping spectre of tobacco becoming increasingly difficult to purchase.

I also realized I'm smoking more cobs and by default, collecting more briars.

“Difficulties are what makes it honorable and interesting to be alive.” Florida Scott-Maxwell
    Posted 5 days ago #
  16. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I looked at the title and thought he'd answered the question in the body of his post. I didn't think OP was expecting replies, just stating his observations.

Cosmic has it right though, holding the blend loose in one's hand as it smolders away and sniffing the pile .... A pipe is simply the best available tool for delivering nicotine and, most pipes are reusable.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 5 days ago #
  17. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Also, taste. Folks that smoke cigarettes tend to be hooked on brands, so they never really explore flavors. Or, that was my experience. Plus, it's hard to taste cigarettes, because your mostly getting the paper and filter.
    Cigars tend to be made with some mythic Cuban perfection in mind, so flavor ranges are very narrow... except for a few that may explore fire cured profiles or some infused flavors (blech).

But, with the pipe, you can explore all flavors and tastes that tobacco has to offer, plus some fruity tooty or even English soaps to boot.

Posted 5 days ago #
  18. p40warhawk

p40warhawk

Login to Send PM

Soooooo many different reasons!
    I enjoy the taste, that rare time taken, of course Vitamin "N" and trying the different tobacco's. Mostly, I love the craftsmanship of the pipes themselves...

Dan

But I have promises to Keep and Miles to go before I Sleep, and Miles to go before I sleep..
    Robert Frost
    Posted 5 days ago #
  19. lawdawg

lawdawg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm with Cosmic - I like variety. I smoke cigars and pipes, and I drink bourbon and scotch, all of which I probably mention constantly in my various posts As much as I like bourbon and cigars, they are one trick ponies in my book. All bourbons and all cigars are basically variations on the same overall flavor profile. Like pipe tobacco, scotch can vary so much from one bottle to the next that it might as well be an entirely different liquor. I'm confident that if someone who didn't know better sampled a Speyside and an Islay scotch next to each other, they would think that they are completely different types of drinks. Same goes for the various styles of pipe tobacco.

Posted 5 days ago #
  20. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Probably at least partly by family tradition, my dad and his dad and an uncle. Not for the nicotine. My dad smoked all the time from age 15 to 65, then quit. My mom loved cigarettes, but only for the drama, the gesturing; she never bought a pack that didn't go stale mostly unsmoked. I think I inherited her nicotine receptors. I can stop and start the nic supply without much reaction or craving. I can enjoy the nic buzz, but never pick out a blend for a dose.

Posted 5 days ago #
  21. gatorlope

gatorlope

Login to Send PM

LawDawg, have you ever tried Bookers.? Smooth sippin’ whiskey... at about 130 proof, I don’t think you want to just toss down shots! (Proof varies from batch to batch)
    I buy one bottle a year and it’ll last me all year.

Posted 5 days ago #
  22. redglow

redglow

Login to Send PM

I like the relaxing aspects as well as the history of pipes and tobacco. The interesting characters that have been pipe smokers throughout history.

The connection to history and family members that pipes and tobacco remind me of.

I also like the flavors and styles of tobacco as well as the interesting brand names and the thoughts that they bring to mind.

Posted 5 days ago #
  23. gatorlope

gatorlope

Login to Send PM

Anything like Prohibition and Bootlegged blends? I’ve been smoking both lately!

Posted 5 days ago #
  24. verporchting

verporchting

Login to Send PM

For whatever value it has to whomever might read this: my answer is the same for this type of question, almost regardless of the topic and it has two parts - because I want to and I can. Period.

There could be any number of personal or subjective responses, and they could be fascinating and worthy of a thread for each. But really, I suspect that at the root of each response there would be an element of my response in each.

Because I want to. And I can.

There's a certain Zen to that, I think. Or not. You decide.

Posted 5 days ago #
  25. jttnk

jttnk

Login to Send PM

I think Redglow came pretty close to sentiments. There’s so much to read about history of the brands and carvers, artisans, businessmen, and enthusiasts. I like the fun of finding a cool pipe, hunting shops in travels for hard to find tobacco. And of course quiet time in a hectic world.

Posted 5 days ago #
  26. peregrinus

peregrinus

Login to Send PM

I started pipes 30 years ago while backing away from cigarettes, cigars and an annoying nicotine dependency.
    I still smoke a pipe because it is a peaceful and contemplative comfort in a bat sh*t crazy world.

Posted 5 days ago #
  27. lawdawg

lawdawg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

LawDawg, have you ever tried Bookers.? Smooth sippin’ whiskey... at about 130 proof, I don’t think you want to just toss down shots! (Proof varies from batch to batch)
    I buy one bottle a year and it’ll last me all year.

Yes, Bookers is a good one. I bought a bottle of Bookers earlier this year as a gift for a good friend when he found out that his wife was pregnant with their first kid. Personally, after trying pretty much all the readily-available bourbons in different price ranges, as well as some not-so-readily-available bourbons, I usually keep my bourbon purchases to about $30.00 a bottle. Generally, all my more expensive purchases are scotch

Posted 4 days ago #
  28. kylef

kylef

Login to Send PM

As redglow said:

I like the relaxing aspects as well as the history of pipes and tobacco. The interesting characters that have been pipe smokers throughout history.

The connection to history and family members that pipes and tobacco remind me of.

I also like the flavors and styles of tobacco as well as the interesting brand names and the thoughts that they bring to mind.

...pretty much same for me. One other big factor, too: if pipe tobacco was something that went bad after a month and had to be thrown out, I probably would not have stuck with it.

But the fact that you can try an ounce or two of some really interesting, unique tobacco (for not much money) and then put it in a jar where it will last for years on end--that's a really cool aspect to pipe smoking for me.

Posted 4 days ago #
  29. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I was dragged kicking and screaming to the pipe by my good buddy Mark aka Hoosierpipeguy. He just wouldn't let up day after day week after week. We both were big time cigar smokers and I had no interest in pipes. My good buddy Mike owns Regency Cigar in R.I and he showed me what pipe I should buy and how to load it and smoke it. I picked it up pretty quickly as I was in his shop 7 hours a day 5 days a week. My learning curve was not too bad.

I am forever grateful to Mark as I definitely prefer my pipes over the cigars. I used to smoke 6 cigars a day now I smoke one every few years. For my tastes pipe tobacco is superior in flavor to cigars,

Harris
    Posted 4 days ago #
  30. User has not uploaded an avatar

anotherbob

Login to Send PM

Good God for so many reasons. One I am an addict and need nicotine. Though I use snuff to keep that itch from getting too bad. And honestly pipes get you high. Though it's not just a drug high from the nicotine. It's also the high of focus on something to a meditative degree and also enjoying the gormet aspects too. Those things all come together and mean that while I am smoking a pipe I feel very serene and focused. I also love how much chicks dig it. I am only slightly kidding. I like that my hobby gives others pleasure including being able to enjoy the scent. And finally it gives me a great excuse to talk to pipe smokers and the only thing I've seen they seem to share in common is their all weirdos who are interesting to talk with, seriously pipe smokers have the best stories, well tell the best stories.

Posted 4 days ago #
  31. gatorlope

gatorlope

Login to Send PM

Hooray for Mark!

Earlier this year I took a wide selection of pipes and tobaccos to my sister’s In an unsuccessful attempt to get her to switch from those awful cigarettes that she spends more than $100/week on! I don’t care if she smokes a corncob pipe and looks like Mammy Yokum (the 6’ tall version) so long as she can make the change!

She enjoyed my smoking, especially the W. O. Larsen Old Fashioned blend, but no go.

Posted 4 days ago #
  32. 5star

5star

Login to Send PM

I was a cigar smoker who had to quit them for 10 years because of allergies. On a lark, I stopped into a cigar lounge and tried a cigar with a pint of a local brew.
    I was extremely happy to find that I no longer had the allergy/sinus problems that forced me to give up cigars.
    I tried a pipe to have something to smoke while my cigars were resting in my humidor. (I give them a minimum of 4-6 months.)
    While I enjoy both pipes & cigars, I find that I actually prefer the pipe nowadays. This was quite an unexpected surprise when I first tried a pipe.

"You are remembered for the rules you break." - General Douglas MacArthur
    Posted 4 days ago #
  33. burleyboy

burleyboy

Login to Send PM

I have always enjoyed reading , mainly fiction, but in the last years I was often too distracted (e.g. by the smartphone or the internet) to sit down with a book in the evening for at least an hour or so. I was looking for a way to come to rest in the evening without being distracted. So I picked up the pipe as a means to force me sitting down with a book. Quickly I began to enjoy smoking and now the evening read accompanied by one or two bowls is a ritual, which gives me a lot of energy for my everyday life.

Reasons, why I chose the pipe over cigars are, that beautiful, nearly everlasting commodities eversince had fascinated me (like fountain pens or wrist watches) and that long-term, even if you buy expensive pipes, run cheaper than smoking high grade cigars.

Kind regards
    Julius
    Posted 4 days ago #
  34. gatorlope

gatorlope

Login to Send PM

And, of course, you don’t have to find a place to dump your ash until you’re finished with your smoke!

Posted 4 days ago #
  35. burleyboy

burleyboy

Login to Send PM

Right! Thats an important aspect regarding distraction... But on the other hand you hav the relights, that a cigar does not require.

I've just come up with another reason. I like the idea of collecting things, but only if they are in regular use. So for me personally, there is no reason to collect wrist watches. One sporty, and one elegant watch are enough for me, because I have no rational reason for collecting. The same applies to fountain pens etc. But concerning pipes, I can build up a decent collection, of which all of the pipes have their special purpose and get used regularly. Pipe collecting to a certain degree makes sense for me in a rational way.

Posted 4 days ago #
  36. chasingembers

chasingembers

Login to Send PM

But on the other hand you hav the relights

Careful, you're showing your newness.

Posted 4 days ago #
  37. trouttimes

trouttimes

Login to Send PM

Simple...it gives me time to think up answers while I puff and it makes me look smart!

“The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began.
    Now far ahead the Road has gone, I must follow if I can
    Posted 4 days ago #
  38. burleyboy

burleyboy

Login to Send PM

Careful, you're showing your newness.

Got caught...and I can not talk myself out of this

Posted 4 days ago #
  39. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

I like nicotine. I like the act of smoking. It gives me a reason to go outside. I enjoy the accessories, and the whole packing lighting puffing. I enjoy keeping pipes around that I've had for many years and having good memories with. Unlike cigs, you throw them away. I enjoy the flavors of pipe tobacco.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    Posted 4 days ago #
  40. chasingembers

chasingembers

Login to Send PM

Got caught...and I can not talk myself out of this

Posted 4 days ago #
  41. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

I enjoy the whole business of puttering around with my pipes, prepping packing and smoking, cleaning. What first drew me to the pipe was the aroma, and what keeps me drawn to it are the flavors. There is no other form of smoking that offers the sheer variety of flavors available to the pipe smoker. I'm not much for nicotine and most of what I smoke is pretty mild in that department, Nicotine and flavors are not the same thing.
    Add to that the beauty of a finely made pipe and the sense of partaking in a long tradition.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 4 days ago #
  42. disinformatique

The Pipe Monk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pipe smoking helped me break my addiction to cigarettes. In 5 years I have gone from 10-30 cigarettes a day to 1-2 bowls a week. My lungs thank me very day, and because of pipe smoking I might not develop COPD in my later years.

I have made more friends, interacted with more people AFTER I took up pipe smoking at the age of 35 than I ever had before in my life. Pipe smokers are a unique community. I may not meet all of my friends from the pipe community in but they are just a message away. I have received gifts and advise from people wise beyond my years. I don't think there's any country where we do not have a pipe smoking friend we can message or ask for recommendation on their favorite pipe or blend, their hobbies, their native culture and what not.

It might be a clunky system on pipesmagazine, but my inbox usually has a message or two to brighten my day. I have had help in my down days by reading those messages.

So yes, why not smoke a pipe?

Cheers,
    Chris

Albert Einstein was once quoted as saying, “I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” One of the reasons behind this statement is that pipe smoking is meant to be a slow leisurely activity. It takes patience to smoke a pipe. Unlike cigarettes and cigars, there is a certain amount of technique to smoking a pipe. Where cigars and cigarettes can just be picked up, lit and puffed on, pipes require the development of a technique in order to get the best smoking experience.
    Posted 1 day ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   jaytex969, admin, oldtoby