PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have a strong preference for having a complete display of numbers on a watch face. I do own one blank watch face with red hands on black background which I like a lot. But for daily use, give me Arabic numbers and an analog watch. I ask myself, why? Am I so simple minded that I must be reminded, like a pre-schooler, what the arrangement of numbers is? Here's my rationale. If I mostly or only wore a watch during the waking hours when I am alert and composed, and the watch is on my wrist, right side up at all times, it hardly matters. It probably reads a fraction of a second quicker in my brain for having a complete set of numbers, but it's an academic point. But I sometimes wear my watch to bed, or have it at the bedside, and may wake up in the middle of the night, or very early, need to know what time it is. Is it first light or later but overcast outside. In that state of semi-awakeness, I want a full set of signals, not a cutesy-poo geometric to figure out. Give me all the data, and my state of mind will rise to the occasion. I don't like bars or a blank watch face in place of numbers, thanks.

newfie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2015
Shearstown, NL
My favourite:
pZALEPEPL1-11701020t400.jpg

The real question is - Why do all watch advertisements show the time as 10:10?
I heard this many many years ago on a Timex ad on TV. Because it frames the name and because there's no doubt the watch has 2 hands. Imagine if the time was 1:05 or 6:33 when the pic was taken.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
. Bought this 30 yrs ago, had Silver Hands and white face, couldn't see the time. Had jewler change the face to black after much he hawing on his part, I prevailed.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Always photograph a watch at 10 after 10 because it is smiling, and better than just a random placement of the hands.
Both watch hands above the horizon shows strength. hands drooping below the horizon looks weak.
We photographers obsess over the little things, and want total control.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
To me, a watch with just a few bars, or a single dot to let you know the top from the bottom, is just jewelry.
A watch with numbers, and tic marks between, is an instrument; a timepiece.
I love my analog watches for the fine instruments they are. But for practicality, and day-to-day use, I prefer a quality digital.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Personally, I never cared for the fad of wearing a watch on the inside of the wrist.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I always position my wristwatch on my nightstand so that I can see it in the middle of the night. I like numbers on my dial, which does seem unnecessary!

randelli

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 21, 2015
I used to wear my watch inside my wrist when I played guitar, on stage, to keep track of the time without being too obvious. That was the only time though.
I like watches with numbers, especially chrono style watches with all the little dials and numbers I can't read ;)

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
History is repeating itself. We're reverting back to pocket watches, people are using their phones more for the time and pockets are where we keep them.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
I recently bought a watch for work. Good old fashion pull and turn to set time. No winding or self winding as I found those problematic with the jarring work. And let me "see" numbers please. My brain is slowed with nicotine, LOL.
PS: is had buttons like the :laughat: "high end cheapos"

but the buttons are fake.
smiley-laughing014.gif

Er uh is it 10:10 now? Time to fire up the bowl?

Mar 1, 2014
If your watch doesn't have 24 numbers then it's wrong 50% of the time.
I would rather have no numbers at all than limit myself to only being able to tell time before noon.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I use a pocket watch and very simple yet effective test. If the hands are pointing at 12 and it is dark outside then its evening whilst if it is light it must be daytime! Works overtime for me!

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I know several people under 30 who can't tell time on an analog watch. They are used to digital numbers because all the clocks at the school they go to are digital. :crazy:

Status
Not open for further replies.