Why No Cigar Review Sites Like Tobaccoreviews.com?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find that the cigar world, which actually drop ten-fold more money into the market than pipes, is devoid of really good reliable reviews. I can find sites that have a few reviews, which suck, but nothing even close to what we have with tobaccoreviews.com
As much as guys will moan and groan about reviewers on that site, we seem to take for granted the whole concept. In the cigar world we find a dry socket when it comes to tasting and reviews, unless they are trying to sell us the sticks, then we have to rely on marketing tainted reviews.
That all said, has anyone had experience with Drew Estates Natural Dirt line of cigars?

jfox520

Part of the Furniture Now
May 24, 2013
I have smoked both the Big Jucy and the Dirt. I found them to be too sweet for me, but good cigars.

orobusto

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2015
New York
There were one or two decent sites about 10 or so years ago, but they don't seem to be around anymore. A lot of cigar guys look at anything flavored or using pipe tobacco as not being a premium cigar, so you may not find too many reviews on those types.

As far as the DE Dirt goes, my faulty long term memory (it's been years since I tried them) seems to remember them as having sweetened tips, which I personally don't care for because it detracts from the flavor of the cigar for me.

I suggest you look into Drew Estates Kentucky Fire Cured or Sam Leccia Black (I really like these). There is another I've been wanting to try called 1881 Perique.

May 31, 2012
There used to be a snuff reviews website just like TR,

it was essential for a noob like me,

now it's gone and anytime I might wanna try something I have to sift through various reports.
It's amazing how small little reports, from various reviewers, can all add up to form an opinion, if I wanna spend money on something or whatever y'know I can't go around trying everything under the sun so I try to see if something is gonna sound like it'd fit my general profile,

even little stuff like:
I have got Samuel Gawith - Elmo's Reserve today. Its a sweetish, pretty strong - very dark

and fluffy tobacco with a very nice aroma. A very interesting new creation, I would rate

it 5/5.. Definitive my favourite SG snuff now.
...is of useful value.

orobusto

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2015
New York
Thanks, that is good to know. I'll have to pick up some of the 1881 Periques and give 'em a try.

You would think that with the prices of cigars and risk from blindly buying stick to stick, that there would be a huge demand for a cigar review website. There are ten to twenty times as many cigar guys as pipe smokers.
BTW, if you can find them, the boutique sticks, GTO makes a cigar called Painkiller, and if you like madura, it will blow your mind, going from a robust start to smooth as your progress. I have found myself folding the thing in my fingers like a roach by the end, not even realizing that I have smoked the entire thing. It ranks in my top ten favorites.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
There is one, I'll find it for you when I get home, I don't know how active it is. There's a few reviewer's blogs I trust that haven't let me down yet in blind purchases of boxes based on their review. Personally I'd love to see this become pipes and cigars magazine, we really need to stick together imo.

jasongvl

Lurker
Feb 11, 2016
Kent, England
Well, I use an app for cigars on my andriod phone which is a good database of most cigars, flavour profiles etc and also gives you an opportunity to rate and review yourself. It is free but a small charge to expand more detail.
It's called "Aficionado"

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I went through a decade long cigar phase and found my favorites. I haven't smoked an unfamiliar cigar in over 9 years. I'm becoming the same way with pipe tobacco. Find what I like and what satisfies me and end it there. Why experiment when you're happy with what you have? I'm unlikely to find anything better than an OpusX, a Padron, a Bolivar Belicoso, a Monticristo #2, etc.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Bryan Glynn does a ton of reviews and, for the most part, I believe does a fair job of it:
http://cigarobsession.com/cigar-reviews/

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
While a tobaccoreviews equivilant is lacking, there seems an excessive number of YouTube video cigar reviews. That kinda goes along with my theory that there are more ego driven cigar smokers.

Status
Not open for further replies.