PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
I am curious as to why the combination exists. I think I understand why briar is the wood of choice, and thought I knew why meerschaum is used. But the combination seems to be odd.
Enlighten me please. I know I want a bowl or two lined with meerschaum, but I am not sure why.
:D

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I do not own any meer lined pipes. I did at one time though. So, I'll offer an opinion from limited experience. A meer lined brier should offer two pluses, the cool smoke of the meer and, the toughness and feel of the briar.
Best I can come up with. I think there is some merit to that as I did experience a somewhat cooler smoke, I think. Could have been all in my mind as, that was what I'd been told to expect.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yeah, the best of both worlds concept. The look and durability of briar, the cool smoke and no-cake advantage of briar. Like so many other features on pipes, I'd guess this was part of the effort to offer distinguishing features when pipe sales were extremely competitive. I think that gave rise to systems pipes, a vast array of stingers, carburetor pipes, and many other gimmicks to capture the vast pipe market. Now most of these just look quaint, but back then it was big business.

drydock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2016
I've inherited a meer lined Kaywoodie (45C)-- lovely pipe, filthy. There's a lot of work ahead in terms of clean-up. But it'll be my first meer-lined pipe.I'm excited about it.
Meer lined briar? With a meer pipe, half--all?--of the attraction is to smoke the hell out of it and watch the meer color. And some ppl are very careful about not touching the bowl so as to avoid finger oils, etc, altering how the pipe naturally wants to color. I think that process can indeed be fun.
But with a meer-lined pipe, the above isn't a goal because there's no external color to evolve--simply enjoying the attributes of the way a meer smokes is the goal. Color-aging, sometimes ornate carved designs be damned. The external briar is also more forgiving of hard knocks.
And in the case of my particular Kaywoodie--and I suspect many other meer-lined pipes--a really nice piece of briar to boot! :)

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I have one meer lined pipe, it just says Tinder Box Meerschaum lined. No mention of country of origin, or imported briar. It's a nice little poker shape, and I got it just to see what it would be like to smoke a meer lined pipe. It smokes just fine, and personally, I don't see any difference between it and any other pipe that has the same shaped inner bowl.
I have noticed that for years, Brebbia still makes a very nice meer lined briar pipe.

002-009-3198.jpg

Reactions: yanoJL

akfilm

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2016
no cake, and cool smoke but with toughness. I actually only own one in my collection, meerschaum lined briar wood, but the wood was then covered in black leather. When I do smoke it, it's a fun smoke.

tozert

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2017
Cornwall
If a flaw shows up in the chamber during drilling, some manufacturers will widen the chamber to fit a meerschaum lining and change the airway drilling slightly to accommodate. How do I know this? A fellow pipe maker gave me a couple really nice grained pipes that were opened up to fit a meerschaum lining. Inside each chamber is a flaw...not a big one but would certainly yield an otherwise unsaleable pipe. I'm not sure if it is the practice of all factories, but it was in this one. I'll take some pictures asap.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
From a functional standpoint, the briar is irrelevant, as far as I can tell. But a meer liner has its advantages, and because briar is the wood smokers expect to be used in a pipe, I suppose that's why briar was used. Just about other wood could have been used, I suppose.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
I thought russ oulette said or maybe it was just in a P&C catalog the benefit would be when smoked outside. No burnout risk as there is with smoking briar outside inside a strong breeze.

loneredtree

Part of the Furniture Now
May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
Back before my memory takes me, I had a leather covered mer lined brier. It smoked too humid. It may have been and probably was manufactured mer. I did not like it and tossed it. Ah the days of youth and cheap pipes

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
If a flaw shows up in the chamber during drilling, some manufacturers will widen the chamber to fit a meerschaum lining and change the airway drilling slightly to accommodate. How do I know this? A fellow pipe maker gave me a couple really nice grained pipes that were opened up to fit a meerschaum lining. Inside each chamber is a flaw...not a big one but would certainly yield an otherwise unsaleable pipe. I'm not sure if it is the practice of all factories, but it was in this one.
Mostly this. Pressed meer cups are less expensive than blocks of briar. The end. :lol:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
A meer is "cooler smoking" only to the hand. The ember and interior chamber walls have the same temperature as a briar, other things being equal. It is cooler in the hand as meerschaum doesn't conduct heat as much as briar.
I had a meer lined leather covered briar, but I lost it in my youth. It was quite small.

May 4, 2015
I have one estate Meer-lined pipe. Seems like more of a novelty than anything else. I can't wrap my head around a practical purpose for it, other than cost savings, as indicated above.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
My personal take on meer lined bowls is that they are a gimmick and nothing else. For those who claim they smoke cooler I have my serious doubts.
I reckon in a blind smoke no one would be able to tell the difference.
John, I have about four or five meer lined leather clad (another gimmick used to hide flaws) pipes, bulldogs and princes and all of them have meer bowls that are made up from rings of (presumably reconstituted) meerschaum, not a single one piece affair which suggests they are low end pipes.
Regards,
Jay.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yes, you could take a pitted bit of briar, cover it with leather, insert meerschaum lining, and voila, a salable and smokeable item where there was just ugliness before.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Why meerschaum lined briar? Simple. Because there's a market for it.
Nothing new about this. Meerschaum lined briars have been around for over a century. Some people like what they perceive as the smoking qualities of meerschaum, coolness, no need to season, neutrality in taste, no need to rest, etc, with the added benefit of no need to use a chamois or cloth when smoking to avoid possibly blemishing the coloring of the meer, or worries about dropping the pipe can shattering it. It's a form of win-win to smokers.
Page on meerschaum line pipes from the circa 1914 Barling Catalog:
3GlhTgl.jpg

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Nice ad Jesse. Funny how then just as now, everyone claimed their pipes to smoke "cool and sweet". You would have thought folks might have twigged by now that it's all a load of old cobblers though I suspect some folks still fall for the old sales patter.
Regards,
Jay.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I believe a post above explains why folks say— often just repeating what they've seen elsewhere— it smokes "cooler". It just feels cooler as the meer is cooler to the touch.
A meer is "cooler smoking" only to the hand. The ember and interior chamber walls have the same temperature as a briar, other things being equal. It is cooler in the hand as meerschaum doesn't conduct heat as much as briar.

Status
Not open for further replies.