PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
The title tells the story, which is a question for you to weigh in on.
Pipe smoking was popular and considered normal in the 1950s; why has it faded, while cigarette smoking is (apparently, because the things are available at every convenience store) still popular?
Habits do not just die. Something causes the death. It does not take a genius to figure out that swirling smoke around in your mouth is less risky than coating your lungs with it.
Was it economics? The goody two-shoes regulatory patrol? Climate change? Rise in Mexican food causing the air in enclosed spaces to become inflammable?

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Pipe smoking was not considered 'cool man' and very 'old man' back in the late 1960s and if you smoked a pipe in the early 1980s you had to be prepared to take some stick from people so the herd mentality of lighting up a Malboro Light or whatever won out.

lohengrin

Lifer
Jun 16, 2015
Deathmetal,

maybe you already answered the question by yourself in the post about garage door openers:

"In a dying society, everyone wants constant distraction from reality".

When smoking pipe we think about lots of things concerning reality.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
My guess is it was a combination of cigarettes being more convenient and more places banning smoking.
If my office would allow me I'd do all my engineering work while puffing on my pipe. Probably would get through my pound of 1Q a lot quicker lol.
I guess you could also factor in the next generation saw it as an old man thing since their dads did it and not pipe smoking was just one more way to rebel against the previous generation. With a lot of 18-35yr olds getting into the hobby today it seems to me the millenial generation is rebelling against the baby boomers/GenXers by taking up the pipe.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Depending on your definition of "popular", perhaps, but cigarettes are no where near so today than in the 60's. And though a much smaller sample, I don't see pipe smoking as any less popular than in the 60's. YMMV.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
You can't smoke anywhere therefor it's not seen and not on people's minds. Thank the anti smoking lobby. Also, I'd bet there are more smokers than stats say as many won't admit to smoking for stigma and insurance reasons.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I blame it on the pace of pipe smoking as compared to cigarettes and cigars. With nails and stogies, you light it, it burns, you smoke it, it's gone. Pipe smoking is more of a ritual. You pack, you char, you light, you puff, you talk, you re-light, you put down the pipe and put out the cat, you re-light, you ponder, you tamp, you relight; then you knock it, scoop it, run a pipe cleaner through it, buff it off, and pick another pipe off the rack and start looking over your open blends. This is not what your go-go hot shot guy wants to do. He feels like a "losa." You have to be willing to be alone with your thoughts, which is terrifying to many.

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
Too many accessories to carry around if you want to do it properly. Much easier just to whip out a pack of cigarettes or even a cigar if you're feeling fancy. I agree with lordofthepiperings on smoking in the office. If I could use my pipe on the job I'd smoke a lot more

ltstone

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
Different lifestyle today, Before everyone had pools, satellite, internet and more jobs were daytime labor I'm sure after a hard days work there was less distractions and it was just nice to relax, sit outside, visit with friends and family, read and .... smoke a pipe.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
Also, smoking a pipe is a skill that takes a bit to master. Between the filling and learning to puff slower than is instinctive.
It's not plug and play like a cigar.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Jpmcw : Pipe sales figures, the disappearance of pipe shops & closure/merger of companies making pipes/pipe tobaccos tell the story. We are not popping down to the local to get some more Balkan Sobranie & check out the new Sasieni-made Sasienis that just came in.
Quick, effortless gratification is an easy sell. Don't disagree with any of that. I would posit that pipe and pipe tobacco sales are down less than cigaret sales comparing the 60's to today. I am too lazy to try to look up figures.

mmopipe

Lurker
Mar 10, 2016
I think that this thread has already covered the reasons why. One: Convenience. It's just so easy to light up a cigarette. Two: Social stigma. The "old man" factor doesn't bode well with today's younger people. Three: The anti-tobacco industry. The hate against tobacco along with the heavier taxation is putting a serious hurt on all smoking of tobacco.
I wish it would make a comeback, but it's all but a dying hobby now... Smoke on brothers of the pipe. Smoke on.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
One: Convenience. It's just so easy to light up a cigarette. Two: Social stigma. The "old man" factor doesn't bode well with today's younger people. Three: The anti-tobacco industry. The hate against tobacco along with the heavier taxation is putting a serious hurt on all smoking of tobacco.
I am less convinced by Two, and would add Four: with no smoking in public places, including offices, people are driven to 15-minute "smoke breaks" instead of being able to puff serenely throughout the day.
The anti-tobacco laws have driven people from safer methods, like pipes and cigars, to more dangerous ones like wolfing down light cigarettes in exhaust-ridden parking lots.
http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancercauses/othercarcinogens/pollution/diesel-exhaust-and-cancer

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Dying hobby? We're undeniably under siege. Still, at the moment, this is the golden age of pipe tobacco blending, and the pipe industry, sometimes a home industry, is certainly thriving, if only here and there. The independent and sometimes contrarian nature of the pipe smoking community may preserve the tobacco pipe in some form or another, although life may be harder for people who smoke many bowls a day, in terms of sustaining supply. For the one-or-two bowls a day folks who are already overstocked (by their lights) the tobacco pipe may be around for the duration.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Pipe smoking was popular and considered normal in the 1950s
There were also many more cigar and cigarette smokers then than there are now, so I wonder if the ratio of pipe smokers to the others was really significantly different then?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
jp : you don't need to. Barling, Charatan, Comoy, Hardcastle, Loewe, Parker & Sasieni died 30+ years ago, "surviving" only as trade names stamped on contract work from anywhere and everywhere. Add Stanwell more recently.
Same with pipe tobaccos.
At the same time, Camel, Marlboro, Newport &c. &c. &c. are still made by their original concerns -- alive and flourishing.
qed.
I don't know what you think you've proven with the above statements. Manufacturing name plates have disappeared or morphed over time in many industries. Remember Hudson? Studebaker? Deusenberg? Duryea? Yale? Zent? The list is long; many hundreds!
I've stated that I believe cigarette smoking has taken a larger hit in pounds sold in 2016 vs. the 60's than has pipe tobacco. That's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.