PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
I recently got my free sample of Captain Black in the mail. Along with the pouch of tobacco was two coupons for $3.00 off of a pouch of any Captain Black. Since I really enjoyed the sample I decided to add Captain Black to my rotation. I headed with the wife to the local B&M to buy some; however, when I noticed the price I had to pass. The places that sell Captain Black wanted between $9.00 and $12.50 for a pouch. Even with my coupon it was more than I was willing to pay. Why is it so expensive?
By the way, Dunhill EMP and Nightcap were only $14 (did not by any from the B&M because of the number of real looking fake pipes that are clearly only for smoking pot, they had like twenty of these and only 10 or so real pipes and this is not something that I wish to support with my local dollars)

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
I live in Oregon. I do not think that it is all taxes because half and half is $6.00, Prince Albert is $4.75 and SWR $5.50. Could it be popular enough locally that the shop owners can charge that much more for it?

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
California captain black sells for around $9 a pouch and $50+ for the tin. I can get 1Q in bulk for a lot less at the local B&M and I like it better.

Wellington

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 31, 2012
$15 is bad for the U.S I think. For a 50g pouch of Captain Black up here is $25 - $30 depending on which shop you go to, but thats more expected in Canada. I would just buy online man, if your B&M is marking up that much they aren't going to be attracting too many buyers.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
I assumed, of course taking the associated and natural risk inherent in assuming, that Oregon charged a state tax based on the weight of the the pipe tobacco and not the retail value of it. That would explain the differences in prices of the tobacco.

auspipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2012
Australia
$40-$45 a pouch in Australia, not sure it is even available anymore since plain packaging came in.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
After reading what others in different parts of the world have to pay I do not believe I will feel sorry for myself with prices of tobacco here in Oregon. On the other hand, I will not stop complaining.

ciderguy

Can't Leave
May 30, 2013
I'm also in OR and I was thinking of trying it, until I realized how expensive it was. At over $9 for 1.50oz pouch it is around the same price of quality tinned tobacco. I have a hard time believing it is that good.

soggycitybob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2013
Portland, OR
I buy the Captain Black pouches here in Oregon. I noticed at Rich's, the local downtown B&M, they charge about 30% more than smoke shops or drug stores. I can usually find CB for about $6-8 at smoke shops or Walgreens.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I received a free sample of Five Brothers and a coupon for Captain Black, for $3 I believe,

and that brought the price to about $4, so it sells for about $7 in N.C., or did two months

ago. A lot of drug stores and groceries don't sell pipe tobacco. Cigarette smoke shops sell

generic and maybe one or two OTC brands. My independent pipe shop sells Granger as its

only OTC, by the ounce if you want it, or by the can. The best deal is J&R outlet on I-95 for

both OTC in pouches and cans, and Dunhill and other higher level blends in tins, with a

fairly good assortment at a competitive price. In Canada, I guess I'd smoke a weekly pipe;

wow, those are some prices. Most of it tax, I presume.

Status
Not open for further replies.