PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

buck67

Can't Leave
Aug 4, 2010
Little Rock
I've noticed that when some people smoke a pipe, they inhale. Now I'm a newbie and have been told many times "Never Inhale Pipe Smoke"!! I know the dangers and never intend to inhale. Does the tobacco taste better if inhaled?? Am I a whimp if I don't inhale?? Will I always be a "beginner" pipe smoker if I don't fill my lungs with pipe smoke?? Would like some feedback please.....

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Hi Roger, let me extend a friendly welcome to the forums!
I inhale a bit of pipe smoke now and then for the nicotine buzz, which is probably augmented by incidental oxygen deprivation. It's my understanding that nicotine is also adsorbed by the soft tissues of the mouth, palate and sinuses, and eventually finds its way to the CNS by that route. However, when I do inhale, I don't get the full flavor of the tobacco blend -- which is the very best part of pipe smoking.
We need some "compare and contrast" type input from pipesters with cigarette and RYO experience to fully answer your question.

My guess would be that pipe tobacco blends are far too heady or harsh to inhale like a cigarette. The same probably goes for cigars.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Cortezattic Said: My guess would be that pipe tobacco blends are far too heady or harsh to inhale like a cigarette. The same probably goes for cigars.

IMO, You are pretty much spot on Cortez. I smoke MYO/RYO, pipes, and cigars. I do not inhale my pipes and cigars, but every once and again it happens accidentally. It tears me up when it does. To me, they are not smooth like cigarettes are. Like you, I also lose that full flavor of the pipe or cigar smoke when I inhale it. It tastes, to me, much better when I don't.
There are people who inhale pipe and cigar smoke. If they are enjoying it, then that is all that matters. They are adults and can do whatever they want.
Just do what is right for you. If you don't want to inhale, don't. If you do, then do it. Don't worry about what others are doing or think of you.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Here's my 2 cents worth.

This is an excellent inquiry Roger and something about smoking that should be understood by any "newbie". I do not recommend that anyone inhale any tobacco smoke.
However; as a reformed "coughin' nail" addict I can say that I do inhale..., but I have made a conscious effort to refrain from the practice and absolutely no more than once a bowl.
When I inhale, I inhale from the true light only.

I have noticed that the flavor is much more discernible and intense when I do not inhale.
The first reason I inhale is to dismiss any craving for Vitamin N at the outset and enjoy the tobacco, and I do this only after a conscious decision to do so.
The second, results from a combination of inattention and kinesthetic memory ingrained from years of nicotine delivery system usage, and not because I enjoy it. This will only occur when I am engrossed in some activity e.g. reading.
One side effect from my decision to inhale only when I decide to is:

I no longer have smoker's hack that I had developed from years of cigarettes smoking.

My Doctor has inquired about my cough going away and confirms that my lungs are clear.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
As has already been posted, it's really a matter of personal

preference. In the real world, most don't intentionally inhale

Pipe smoke, but it would be difficult to avoid inhaling some of

the ambient smoke that a Pipe produces. Some blends advertise that

they can be smoked in a Pipe or rolled up into a cigarette and enjoyed.

For the most part, inhaling Pipe smoke is not for me...

buck67

Can't Leave
Aug 4, 2010
Little Rock
Thanks for all the replies and advice. Until about a month ago, I have never smoked any form of tobacco, including cigarettes. Now, I look forward to loading, lighting and puffing my pipe. I'm longing for cooler weather so I can enjoy my pipe more on the deck without mixing tobacco and sweat.:)

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I always inhale. The buzz is an integral part of smoking a pipe. But, I inhale differently when smoking a pipe, tasting the tobacco before actually inhaling as opposed to when smoking cigarettes.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Greg has a great article on Breath Smoking. It really does enhance

the smoking experience, without inhaling...

http://www.glpease.com/Articles/BreathSmoking.html

briarbrian

Lurker
Mar 26, 2010
Fort Gratiot MI
nope dont think your a wimp, dont inhale if you dont want to. It is bad for your health as to not inhaling is actually good for your health.
Its pipe smoking and my self perclaimed motto is in pipe smoking, "it is the hobby where noone is wrong." So do what feels good for you, not try to impress someone else.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Buck: If you haven't gone to the American Lung Association site or walked through one of their mobile demo units that have actual lungs to look at, do so. After you see what just tar alone does to your lungs, you likely won't ever inhale smoke again. As 70% of the tar gets deposited on the wall linings, gradually building up enough that the small hair like follicles stop moving and finally have no ability to do their miraculous filtering ability.
I could go on and on, pages and pages worth of information and really piss off alot of cigarette smokers on here, but I won't. Just due a moderate amount of searching on Google and all the different chemicals involved in the tobacco business and you should be able to make a proper decision on wether or not you really want to inhale or not.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Hobie, good point about the "hairs".

When those are gone or unable to function due to other factors, the way my Dr. explained it to me, was you develop a cough followed by a clearing of the throat.

He recommended that I stop inhaling "so often" and it will go away.

It did, and in relatively short order.

Reactions: magnumsmoker

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I don't inhale. It's all about relaxing and enjoying the flavor for me. I enjoy exhaling through my nose as it enhances the flavor for some blends ... and others will burn your nose a little.
Yes, you definitely still absorb some of the smoke, as I get a pretty good buzz for Peterson Irish Flake, but for me it's about enjoying the smoking experience without inhaling down to my lungs.

porshcigar

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Naperville
This year I will be celebrating 40 years of smoking pipes (since 1970) and cigars. I don't inhale; sometimes I do so by accident and I don't enjoy the accident.

klaus

Lurker
Sep 2, 2010
As regular cigarette smoker, I need to inhale the delicious pipe smoke, partially. Otherwise, I would get cravings. Unfortunately, one cannot replace the cigs by pipe smoking, because pipe tobacco does not contain enough nicotine.

mrbrandybuck

Might Stick Around
Aug 17, 2010
Massachusetts
I don't inhale and I have never had a problem getting a nicotine buzz. However my tolerance for nicotine is fairly low because I try to moderate how much I smoke limiting myself to 1-2 bowls a day. As you get more used to nicotine you may need to inhale to get the buzz because of extra tolerance, but if you do inhale do it infrequently cause it is far more harmful than just tasting tobacco.

collindow

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 15, 2010
Portland, OR
I try to never, ever inhale. Unfortunately, I fail from time to time, and it always sucks.

I'm six, damn, more like eight months, into smoking, and I've yet to experience a craving to smoke. Maybe at some point I shall begin getting these cravings, but I'm quite happy that I only smoke on my own terms.

At present I'm smoking 1-3 bowls a day.

Cheers!

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
I never inhale either collindow but I still get the urge to smoke. I wonder if it is simply for the fact that I enjoy smoking my pipe and it relaxes the hell out of me, or because I actually have the craving.... It is nothing like the cravings I used to get when smoking cigarettes.

Status
Not open for further replies.