PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sailortodd

Might Stick Around
Nov 2, 2011
Greetings,
As you can see, I am brand new to the site. Wanted to introduce myself thoroughly. As the name might entail, I am a sailor, an officer in the Navy, currently in Bahrain (a little island in the Persian Gulf). I'm also fairly new to pipe smoking. Last year I visited my favorite tobacconist in Old Town San Diego and after admiring a few of their pipes, wondered about transitioning from cigars to pipes. The gentleman behind the counter set me up with a starter pipe (a nice subdued, simple straight pipe with what you might consider a standard bowl, and a flat rather than polished finish) and a delicious smelling blend they called Dr Charlie's. That was just before last deployment out here, and I had the opportunity to smoke it a few times, and made it through an entire two ounce bag before going back to the States and pretty much forgetting about my pipe for a good while. Preparing to come out here again a month-and-change ago something compelled me to bring along my pipe. Boy am I glad I did.
My pipe has been my source of sanity in a crazy deployment. It has become a near daily routine, when I get an hour, to head back to the smoke pit with a bowl full and think about anything but work for a while. I found a cigar shop here that had a pipe that caught my fancy, and was inexpensive enough I wouldn't be heart broken if I lost it or broke it, a Dr Plumb. It's smoked great so far, with a bent stem so I can look down at my tobacco as I light it, draws smooth, and I've been able to smoke the bowl to the bottom, something that was a little more difficult with my other pipe. Most recently I've become fond of Dunhill's "Royal Yacht" mixture, with a subdued sweetness from the blend of virginia tobaccos.
I'm very happy I discovered pipe smoking, as it has filled a void left when I came on deployment. My true passion is beer brewing, and I can do none of that here. Now I can focus on improving my pipe smoking technique, finding the right blend and contemplate the purchase of my first heirloom-worthy pipe where I once was focused on formulating the recipe for my next batch, contemplating the hop combinations, the style of beer that I could brew next and improving my brewing technique. It's a great thing.
-Todd

nathaniel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 4, 2011
Welcome aboard, Todd! Happy you've found the pipe and leaf, as it is truly a thing not to be missed in life by anyone seeking the irony of serenity AND adventure... especially a sailor! :puffy:

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
Howdy Todd.

Regardless the circumstance of an individuals crazy day, be it the unemployment line, a sales office or the Persian Gulf, a bowl of 'baccy makes it all seem tolerable.
Welcome to the forum, and for sure, thanks to you and all who serve!

pipeinhand

Lifer
Sep 23, 2011
Virginia
Welcome Todd, nothing calms like a good pipe. Maybe start a Persian pipe club. :P Just kidding, When I was in Kuwait in '91 we all just sort of found each other. It was nice to trade baccy and just sit with a comrade.
Thank you for serving my friend.

dylan793

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2011
Buchanan, GA
It would be interesting to hear what type of tobacconist services are available in Bahrain. Anything unique or interesting unavailable in the states or elsewhere. Also, thank you for your service sir. Stay safe.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Good morning Todd,

Let me start by thanking you for your service to our country, my family, and me.

Even though I'm a Marine, and may occasionally tease a Sailor (because I'm supposed to :D ) I sincerely appreciate your Branch of Service.
I'm in total agreement with the:

mellowed out, and understand the enjoyment of smoking a pipe and being tranquil, if just for a half hour or so.

Again: Thank you for your service.

Welcome aboard!

Like our much admired Mason PipeTrucker I hope you will post some glimpses into your daily life aboard ship.
If you follow the link above you can scroll down and find links to some of his most recent posts. (If you want to see what I mean.)
We all look forward to your posts.

jimbo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2010
Welcome to the coterie, Todd.
As for WHY I smoke a pipe, I must confess a lot of it is about vanity and hero worship.
I have admired many men of the past who were pipe smokers. Besides my own father, there were those with names like Twain, MacArthur, Cronkite, Mancini, Crosby, and many others whom I choose to emmulate, at least in this very small and humble way. It keeps their memories alive and I enjoy sharing this same experience with them.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
Thanks, Todd, and welcome.
After I began smoking pipes I began to understand why some referred to their pipes as friends. I hope you will find the same experience, especially as you do a difficult job in an unfriendly place.
Please keep us posted and build friendships with us here, too.

sailortodd

Might Stick Around
Nov 2, 2011
Thank you all for the warm welcome, and thank you most of all for the support. We couldn't do what we do without all of the support.
Dylan, I haven't found any unique tobacconist here that does much in terms of pipe tobacco. Most deal almost exclusively in Cuban cigars, and have an odd, small assortment of pipe tobaccos. I've seen almost exclusively Borkum Riff and Dunhill. If I get an opportunity I'll get out and check more out. There are of course shisha shops around as well.
Coalsmoke, that's a great liberty story. It has calmed down here quite a bit since then. That is, it's calmed down on base, it's as volatile as ever for the locals out in town.
And as far as Bahrain is, it is a beautiful country, but right now it is hot and dusty, and there's a lot of tension between locals right now that makes it uncomfortable to do much out in town.

drsam

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2011
Welcome Todd.

I too am a sailor..OLD sailor that is. I spent a lot of time up and down the Persian Gulf both while in the Navy as well as an employee of a major oil company way back in the 60's and 70's.

The pipe will help to keep you sane when all else fails.

Fair weather and smooth seas.
Dr. Sam

Status
Not open for further replies.