Why do Most of Us Want New Pipes/Tobacco at the WORST Possible Time?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

punkrockarmy

Might Stick Around
Jan 13, 2013
The title says it all. See, I am currently on a budget but I really, REALLY want a new better quality pipe and a bunch of new tobaccos to try but I'm trying to figure out why most pipe smokers (new and experienced) want new pipes and tobacco at the worst possible time due to financial reasons. Does anyone have this somewhat annoying problem?

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
+1 on stress. Whenever I get stressed I tend to bury myself in hobbies, and end up spending dough whether I should or not.

jerry

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 2, 2009
Western Massachusetts
Sometimes a small pleasure can bring a lot of joy, and a lot of joy is often worth it when times are tough. So, go with some tobacco, wait on the pipe.

Jul 12, 2011
+1 / Stress...always seem To go on mad TAD/PAD Attacks and increase

bowls smoked when life overloads me

rev413

Might Stick Around
Jan 10, 2013
+1 Stress, I spend the unnecessary cash not only on PAD(so far) but my other hobbies as well. And when ever I do, I always get an earful.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
It’s something that relaxes me and removes the stresses in my life. I live with constant pain that only gets worse as the years go by. I was crushed in a car in 1979, with a broken back, pelvis and 20 other major fractures; the arthritis is catching up with me. Pain medication only goes so far and smoking some wonderful tobacco takes the pain and my thoughts away.
To me they’re two separate things, and I limit myself on what I’ll spend per month. Right now my concern is availability and price of tobacco in the future. Five and ten years down the line things will be very different; we are just seeing the beginning. I’m working on building an ageing cellar to assure that I have the best quality tobacco purchased at a good price. This will only get better with age, but guarantees I’m covered no matter how crazy the market becomes. I truly believe that state and federal taxes will become extreme and a 300% increase in cost increase could be realistic, and the loss of many brands inevitable. In the next few years they’ll be cracking down on internet sales. So I guess it’s both insurance and small investment at this time.
Pipes for the time being are taking a back seat for me. I have enough lower end briars to enjoy smoking. Pipe collecting is not always about smoking, for many it’s having unique and one of a kind collectable pieces that brings them joy, like collectables items of any kind. When I feel comfortable with my cellar that’s when I’ll move into the higher end, and one of a kind items. With my own skills in woodworking I feel confident that I’ll be able to create my own unique pieces of art. If you look at many of the pipes being created today, they are becoming much more than a pipe, but a functional piece of art. Many artisans are creating pieces on commission, for people with extreme ideals. With some prices in the thousands, and designs that are incredible
http://www.smpipes.com/#!gallery
Then click the left arrow and see the inlays, just one example of a single direction.
Craig

yadan

Can't Leave
Dec 23, 2012
Central Galilee, Israel
Personally, I don't care for most of the pipes in that gallery, but the point is well taken: pipes are more than just a smoking hobby.

Concerning the thread subject, PAD is always untimely for anyone who isn't classified as rich. There is, however, a possible solution:
"I work saturdays at a cigar shop, so thats where I get my spending money. I don't use the "house budget"."
Either that, or setting aside a fixed amount each month for PAD. This entails, of course, quite a bit of patience and self control, and for those who acquire their pipes from Ebay or other auctions, it also means passing up on biddings for pipes we would love to have. But as the saying goes, "Se la vie." :puffy:

cedeks

Might Stick Around
Nov 16, 2012
For me buying tobacco or pipes is inversely proportional with the amount of work i do. The more I work the less time I have to buy tobacco or even smoke it. Hence the more money I make the less I buy...

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I think it's largely an issue of perception - kinda like how your nose itches when your hands are full. When your hands aren't full, you just scratch your nose without thinking about it, but when you're unable to scratch, you notice the itch more. Likewise, when you've got the available scratch (heh) to buy a new tin or a new pipe, you can just do it without having to think about the budget. I'm currently on a pretty strict budget - but I'd ordered an H&H sampler and a bag of cobs just before the budget restrictions kicked in, so I've got a while to play before PAD/TAD really kick in and run up against my current lack of funding...

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Gettin ready to do some serious stocking up on tobacco.It will not be the price of briar that shoots thru the roof,but what ya put in it! :wink:

Jul 12, 2011
The image of devil on one shoulder and angel on the other...haha
I have PAD devil on one side and TAD devil on the other.... You need

more pipe...no-no you need more bacci....buy both ;-)

yadan

Can't Leave
Dec 23, 2012
Central Galilee, Israel
"setting aside a fixed amount each month

Hamburger Helper at home versus McDonald's for the family. Combine trips, gas is $4 a gallon. Yadda yadda ... wow, lookie, an extra $100 a month, damn I'm good

I'm sure lots of folks are "managing" the PAD/TAD similarly."
I do it by bastardizing the gardening budget and convincing my wife that her homecooked food easily beats out restaurant excursions (which is usually true).
Of course, I also conjure up sly tricks and excuses when I'm really desperate! :wink:

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
I think the main reason is that we keep seeing incredible briar creations by the makers out there. Awesome labors of love that we wish we could afford.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
You can always sell your blood for extra cash. Better yet, sell your wife's blood. You'd be surprised how much you can get out of them while they're sleeping.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
I do it by bastardizing the gardening budget and convincing my wife that her homecooked food easily beats out restaurant excursions (which is usually true).
Yeah I use that as a defense all the time. She will want a take-out order that will be $30-$40 bucks, I jump right in and cook and then tell her I just added half of that to my monthly order. Pissed but gives me ammo.

chakaraka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 28, 2012
Vernon, BC, Canada
I think sometimes this is just when these great finds surface. Like my recent version of this. I have a side-job I do and that is where any fun money comes from. For whatever reason I have not received my weekly cheque for about 2 weeks. Today I discover that the local auction house has 2 unsmoked meers coming up for auction tomorrow night. I have no PAD funds until those cheques come in. Ahhh! :evil:

Status
Not open for further replies.