PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
i started because i was in a smoke shop and saw this pipe and i thought "i want that." now, it was more then just a materialistic want, my dad smoked a pipe for awhile and i remember he smoked captain black and it smelled wonderful. i was already a cigar fan and smoked cigarettes, so i figured id give pipes a shot, and now im glad i did. i smoke less cigarettes and still enjoy a cigar when i can, but the pipe is my smoking preference now. so what got you started?

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
The example of older relatives and LOTR! I think i must be a very tall hobbit of a no talent wizard!LOL!

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I have a buddy who smokes a pipe. I had actually bought one many years ago but never smoked it, so I broke it out and started smoking as a social thing. Now I not only enjoy smoking a pipe, but am starting to restore old pipes and learning how to carve my own. Pipes are so interesting to me, especially seeing the creativity involved in what people are creating. Take Uncle Arthur for example, you can see his passion and pride come out in each piece and the guys on here really respond to that. And there are many others. I can't wait to start creating, and not to compete, but just for the pleasure of making something that someone would enjoy and treasure just as I enjoy and treasure each of my pipes.

sherlock

Can't Leave
Aug 21, 2011
There are two reasons I started to smoke. First, my grandpa smoke all his life and I always wanted to be like him and enjoyed the smell of his pipe. Second, I wanted to be (am, kind of) a writer and it seems as though a lot of writers smoked. It was more of a rhetorical choice, a choice to be seen in a certain way, that became a passion. It is funny to think about the reason I started because clearly smoking a pipe didn't change me into the person I wanted to be, but smoking a pipe has made me the person I am.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Yeah Tolkien is a big influence for my writing too, and they are either smokng, eating or drinking in every other moment.

driftstage5

Might Stick Around
Aug 13, 2011
Well, I smoked cigarettes, cigars and cigarillos and one day thought "what the heck" and tried a pipe...fell in love with the hobby ever since. I was always fascinated with all things tobacco.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
My start was sparked as well by LOTR. Loved watching Gandlaf puff away on his churchwarden. So after Return of the King came out, I stopped in a local B&M and got myself a cheap churchwarden and some cherry tobacco. I also loved watching Sherlock Holmes movies where he'd be puffing on a three pipe problem. My stepdad used to ocassionally puff on a pipe from time to time, but never very regularly. Might try and convert him to a regular some day.
As far as smoking writers goes, have you two checked out the Peterson's Writers Collection? It's a great pipe collection with pipes honoring the greats like Yeats, Joyce, Wilde, and Shaw. I definitely plan on getting that collection myself some day. Not too huge into those writers yet (really big on S.E. Hinton and Steinbeck), but I absolutely love the shapes.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I always wanted a Meerschaum because my dad had one. He wouldn't let me anywhere near it (smart move on his part). I always thought meers were cool and pipe tobacco smelled good. Once I started shopping I bought my first briar, that's when the PAD kicked in. I bought some CBW because that just seemed like what I should be smoking and it's what the small tobacco store near me had (they cater mostly to cig smokers). Then I learned about all the different types of tobacco and started worrying that I was missing something. Welcome to TAD. Now I am guaranteed to be broke but I never feel poor with a bowl full of my favorite baccy.

sherlock

Can't Leave
Aug 21, 2011
I have seen the Peterson writers collection, not in my budget at the moment. :crying: I think you'll have to find an American pipe maker for those authors. Now who to ask? :puffpipe:

seanz

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2011
Southland NZ
I started cos i couldnt shred my homegrown enough to roll a cigg and the rest is how they say... history.

spending more money than i did on ciggs drooling over pipes and new baccy toatally fixated on growing it. am i sad hell no!

Am i going to stop Hell no!

misterrogers

Can't Leave
May 16, 2011
Ohio
My friend's father smokes a pipe. He has dozens of them, and I always admired them. I loved how the grain went perfectly with stem, only to change right at the bowl. I loved the soft curves and the sharp contrast. But most of all, I loved the smell of the blends. Even early on, I liked the smell of a good English blend.
So as a graduation gift, I was given a pipe, a lighter, and 1.5oz bag of baccy. The rest is history.

A roommate in university smoked a pipe and it always smelled awesome. After borrowing a spare of his a few times I made the plunge and bought a basket pipe and a pouch of the most goopy cherry aromatic I could find. Things have improved since then.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
During my last year of high (boarding) school, a friend and I would frequently walk to town and pick up a cigar. After a couple of months of looking at the pipes in the shop, and the relatively inexpensive cost of the tobacco, I picked a Savinelli second out the basket on the counter and a couple ounces of a nice house blend.

That was 1986. The store, With Pipe and Book, is sadly no more, but my love of pipes and tobacco has been been going strong since.

riptide

Jul 27, 2010
Colorado
I thought It was cool when ever i would see some one smoke a pipe. So when some buddy's where smoking pipes outside at a party i ran home and grabbed the one i got from a ex years before and the rest is history.

spyder71

Jul 14, 2011
Mostly out of curiosity. My wife remembered that "one day" I wanted to try a pipe so while at the B&M she picked me up this awesome looking but impossibly hot smoking 25.00 special along with an aro baccy. If I wouldn't have gotten a few great tasting draws I would have quit after the first bowl! I knew that Gramps and all the other pipe smokers wouldn't keep doing do it if it was supposed to feel like licking a screaming tea pot so I jumped on line and found out I was doing it all wrong...

Thanks in huge part to this site and in small part to my perseverance I am a very happy and cig free pipe smoker.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I smoked cigs 20 years ago, switched to cigars for a while before giving up on it all. Cigars always seemed to much for me. I would be done by half way, seemed wasteful. But I had a craving for the tobacco taste recently and found myself in a tobacco shop. The clerk was on the phone and I just looked around and this briar caught my eye. I thought I could load as much tobacco as I want and there for would not be wasteful like I was with cigars. I knew of another shop in town( Smokers Paradise) went in there a few days later and was blown away at the different tobacco. Big jars, tins, pipes of all shapes and sizes! Short story long, I found a new obsession. :D

mlaug

May 23, 2010
Iowa
My hobby used to be hitting juozapas with a 2x4. :rofl:
Since he won't let me do that anymore, I took up pipe smoking.
It gives me a certain air of intellectualism.

Status
Not open for further replies.