Why Buy a New Pipe After Smoking Used Estate Pipes?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I hate breaking in a new pipe. It takes so many smokes to get the sweet flavorful experience of a fully broken in pipe. After getting a fair number of estate pipes restored under my belt, and smoking them, I know now that it will be extremely unlikely that I will ever buy an unsmoked pipe ever again. Anyone else have this experience, or think that way?

alexnorth

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2015
I have to confess I like the feel of getting something completely new just for myself. But I do see your point!

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I absolutely know what you mean about estate pipes. After 60 or 70 years those briars afford an unparalleled smoking experiance, and for only a fraction of the cost of a new pipe. Still, somebody has to be the first owner, right? And I do enjoy occasionally breaking in a new pipe. Both my sons are pipe smokers, so I know all of pipes will be enjoyed for sometime into the future.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Hmmm ... come to think of it, yes I do enjoy restored estates more than new pipes. It's not only the smoking experience, but also the experience of the restoration itself, and the story. The problem with estates is that you don't always find what you like best, as in brand or shape. So every so often I will get the craving for a new pipe. I particularly love bulldogs, which is a rather rare shape where I live. So if I happen to be somewhere and see a brand new bulldog, for example, within budget I don't mind buying new. Also church wardens are rare shapes as well, thus I had to purchase one brand new.

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
$$$$ :mrgreen: Let some body else have the pleasure of paying the big bucks for new an I'll smoke it the rest of my time.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Why buy new? Because the probability of it having been accidentally dropped into a disgusting toilet bowl is very low. Another reason is that there are no ghosts to exorcise.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I don't think I have purchased a 'new' pipe since the mid 1980s. I have purchased plenty of old pipes since then but I just cannot be arsed to break in a new pipe. We bother when someone else did it for you 100+ years ago.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
It's been awhile since I bought an estate pipe, as the prices have gotten way out of line. The pleasure of cleaning up a nice old estate was the closest I could get to making a pipe myself, and that was the thing I liked most about doing it. Depending on who you buy from, new pipes are not that much of problem to break in, at least not for me.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
We get into these discussions every year, though it is usually begun by someone who is utterly horrified at the idea of putting his mouth where someone else has been. This in turn leads to the inevitable question about whether the poster only screws virgins, or something along that line. It doesn't end well.
Since my favorite maker shuffled off the field almost 60 years ago, it's unlikely that I'll find a brand new unsmoked pipe at a price that I would be willing to pay. Whilst I am beyond the desire to clean up overused, beaten to death, lumps of charcoal, I do find the task of cleaning up an otherwise decently used pipe very enjoyable. I always liked my girls experienced, just not in the condition of having serviced the entire Russian army in one fell swoop.
I also like the proportions the older shapes a lot. A well and carefully smoked briar is a good smoking implement and often a good value. You do have to be careful about really old briars approaching the 100 year old mark, as they can be deceptively fragile if fired up. That's where a chamber pre-coat is a smart move. Significantly reduces the chance of cracking the bowl or damaging the chamber.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
That's by far the kindest accusation ever leveled at me by the estate pipe lobby, so I'll go with that. Yes, virgins only for me!

bigbehr

Lurker
Apr 10, 2012
I almost always buy estates. I am somewhat picky, but none the less they are estates. That is except for my cobs, I buy those new...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Estate pipes are often (not always) a good deal, and most of them smoke well right off the bat, unless of course they happen to be unsmoked. New pipes offer a degree of certainty about what you are getting. I think for newbies, who haven't smoked pipes, it's better not to get into the extra variables of an estate pipe, inheriting other peoples' bad habits, various pipe repairs, etc., that only confuse getting started. Also, in my case, I am a non-cake-builder. I just like that way of going and feel it is better for the pipes. So new pipes, for me, are a way of making them entirely my own, like bringing up a kid right. My first estate pipe was a wonderful artisan pipe given me by a Forums member, and I have since been given another estate pipe as a gift, and these have been perfect, so I am now something of an estate convert, at least open to their wonderful possibilities. But I think it is fair to follow your instincts. Estates certainly have a universe of benefits, beginning with price, and new pipes certainly have points to recommend them. For a newbie, I'd still start with a new briar in a good brand, just to make it simple, and to have the education of breaking in a new pipe.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
bigbehr good point, I think I have never bought a used cob either. Funny ... there is a local auction site similar to e-bay, and some geneius vendors are selling estate cobs, i.e. mm cobs, at a higher price than brand new from the pipe store. That always cracks me up.
Going back to what sablebrush52, I know that virgins may be a headache but on the plus side it is less likely to contract STDs. By analogy, has anybody heard of any health issues, I don't know ... virus or bacteria or something that once could get from a badly stored estate? I always clean mine thoroughly using medicinal alcohol, and never had an issue, but I cannot help wondering...

May 4, 2015
By analogy, has anybody heard of any health issues, I don't know ... virus or bacteria or something that once could get from a badly stored estate?
No, nor restaurant silverware which has been in hundreds of mouths. Clean things before you use them. Pretty simple!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Back to the virgins. I've always felt that after performing the right suicidal deed that 80 virgins waiting for me (whatever the number) would not be what I want. Sure, there's the thrill of it being the first time for her, but after a half dozen de-flowerings, wouldn't you want a woman who knew what to do and how to do it? Who'd share a smoke with you after, and be able to carry on an adult conversation? Idle minds want to know what you think!

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I have it on good authority that all estate Castello's are disease ridden and anyone who dared smoke one would surely contract gungyfiditis. Avoid all estate Castello's, it's simply not worth the risk!

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Philo, do you know of any proper authority to whom these foul Castellos can be sent for safe disposal? :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.