PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

cavendish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2013
Why is FM blends so damn hard to keep lit?! I have tried packing loosly, tight, in between and I still find I have to constantly puff to keep it going. I end up getting a little burn from it sometimes and I don't like it. I really like these blends but find they are a PITA and require alot of attention to keep going if one wants a nice puff once in a while.
Any suggestions or tips cause I'm at a loss here.
Thanks guys,

Nick

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I've only had the cellar so far, but I've not had any issues with the first half of the bowl. Once I'm halfway done I empty the ash, stir and re-light. I find the 2nd half harder to keep going however and often leave about a third of the bowl when I'm done.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
cavendish, thanks for the heads up. Forums members love FM so much, I'm glad to know this

detail so my expectations don't diminish the experience when I get to it.

latbomber

May 10, 2013
Not sure if you've tried these yet but maybe: Letting it dry more before smoking (some blends still taste good when quite dry)Smoking it in a smaller chambered pipe, Using a few pokes from the pointy end of a czech tool while smoking, making sure you get a good slow charring light and an even main light. I find that some tobaccos require a slightly different amount of tamping and cadence for optimal burn. Just stick with it and youll figure it out.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Dry dry dry it out.
Try it in a different pipe if you can.
My FMOTT usually comes not as dry as I'd like it to be so it does require some time to itself in the open air.

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
I will try drying it some more. It is pretty dry already, I don't want to smoke dust lol. Thanks for the tips guys, I'm frustrated as all hell about it cause I love these blends so much but can't enjoy smoking them. I mixed a little OGS with it once and that helped but I didnt like flavor it gave.
I'll update tomorrow night. I'm smoking some Solani X Sweet Mystery tonight :puffy:

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Instead of
Why is FM blends so damn hard to keep lit?!
maybe your post ought to read
Why do I find FM blends so damn hard to keep lit?!
One in three bowls that I smoke is FM, usually FMOTT. Precisely zero problem keeping it lit in any of the many pipes where I smoke it. Charring light, gentle tamp, true light and off we go. MAYBE one re-light mid-bowl if I forget to a light tamp to the keep the ember in contact with the un-burned tobacco.
I'm not saying you don't have the trouble you describe. I am saying that your anecdotal experience -- like mine -- does not equal data.

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
I dried it more and it helped quite a bit. It seemed very dry when held in my fingers and it sure didn't clump together at all. Thanks for the tips on drying guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.