Who's the best person to re-stem a 1970s meerschaum?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
I have a 1979s Usmet Bekler abstract meerschaum, which came to me without a stem. The shank is threaded to accept a push-pull tenon on the stem, but lacks that part.
I was recommended to Norwood already, and they get great reviews. However, Norwood has no photos of their stem colors, and says they don't do photos since colors vary-- which I understand, but nonetheless, I want photos! I really need some idea of what I might get. I sent them a photo of one of Bekler's 90s CAOs (which used a transparent golden yellow lucite with big amber-like 'spangles' in it) and asked if they might have anything similar, but also asked about the opaque bright yellow common on 70s meers; they told me they "usually use an amber color," and when I asked for photos or details, was just told that that's what they use. Sorry, but that's a bit vague for me.
At the same time, I see most stems being made now coming in those various colors that have a marble-like effect with a metallic sheen at the right angle (like a cat's-eye agate) and, though CAO used those in the 80s, they're not right - to my eye - for a Bekler circa 1973.
I also want to be certain that the stem will be the same diameter as the shank where they meet, and not only am I not sure if any are made at that exact diameter, I'm also not sure, if they're not, who can make them to that diameter. Also needs to bent to the right angle for the slope of the shank.
What I need most is DETAILS. A detailed discussion, with photos, of my options-- not just-- "We use an amber color. Send it in." Even though they have a great reputation at Norwood, I really need more than that.
Advice? Suggestions?
Edit: Here is the color of lucite used on some very late CAO Bekler meers. I really, really love it, and though it isn't 'right' for a Bekler circa '73, I'd love to have a stem in this style. It looks to me like someone was kinda-sorta trying to imitate amber's spangles or inflections and, though I think it looks nothing like real amber, I think it's extremely pretty in its own right. I've never seen it anywhere else. The common 'tortoiseshell' amber-gold lucite with smooth dark-brown swirls isn't the same at all.

4RN4vNZ.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Forum member condorlover just had great results from this repairman, Ric @ Briarville in TN:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/briarville-your-one-stop-shop-for-meerschaum-repairs-with-pictures

mranglophile

Can't Leave
May 11, 2015
United States
http://www.precisionpiperepair.com
George's specialty is making replica stems...he would be my pick. If you look on the forum he has shown some of his magic.

jonasclark

Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
Why not Norwood's, aside from my issues with them is there a problem? I HAVE seen nice photos of their work, I'm just iffy regarding specific colors.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
With pipe repair---except for when high-carat gold, real amber, precious stones, or similar are involved---labor outweighs materials many times over. For all practical purposes, labor (time) is the ONLY cost.
So, when it comes to stems, consider the following:
-- Most pipe makers say that the stem takes as much time to fabricate---sometimes more---than the stummel.
-- The SECOND time around---after the stummel is complete and can't be further shaped---requires a stem to be made "in a vacuum" to fit a stummel exactly. That is more labor intensive still. A LOT more.
--- Then, continue to add to the labor/time requirement by wanting the replacement to match the original. (The original maker didn't have to follow any pattern... whatever resulted is what was sold.)
This makes interesting background reading when shopping for a craftsman to do a job for you, pipes or otherwise:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diminishing_returns

jonasclark

Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
The nice thing about this case is that as long as the stem diameter matches the shank diameter and the bend is approximately right, it's good. It doesn't have to be an exact color match (I just want to be able to see an example-- in this case, I've asked Briarville about a white pearl stem), it doesn't have to have a logo or dot inserted, and it doesn't have to fit precisely into a pipe case.
But yes, I'll almost certainly be going with Briarville. Their prices are barely more than Norwood for what I want.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Briarville and Tim Turner at JH Lowe are my two preferred pipe guys and I also view them as friends who I have entrusted with some of the most delicate projects. Remember all my pipes are 100+ years old and meerschaum and I have posted extensively about these gentlemen and they are both in a league of their own. If you ask Rick at Briarville to show you some of the work he has done for me (Simon) he will send you pictures that will blow your socks off my friend and ditto for some of the work that Tim at JH Lowe has also done for me.

bwithers55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 17, 2012
Mike Myers (Walker Pipe Repair) referred me to Floyd and Ken Norwood about 6 months ago. The Norwood's do fast work w/ satisfactory results.
Most of the antique meerschaum pipe repairs I have sent them are pipes with no stem; so the fix is pretty simple, a screw tenon and a lucite bit in an appropriate color.
They are also willing to innovate, if you have the inclination. I have this very tiny sailor who was missing the stem and a tiny pipe in his mouth. The Norwoods not only made the stem replacement, but they also created a tiny pipe of matching lucite! It's great!
Best Wishes,

Bill Withers

Status
Not open for further replies.