PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
I just received my copy of 'Smoke Rings and Roundelays'. It is in nice condition for a 1924 printed book. I want to keep it that way and was looking for a way to wrap it and protect it while it is riding in my satchel. I considered options and came up with a piece of chamois. I ordered some from ebay and intend to pick up another piece this week from Walmart or the auto parts store.

That idea triggered another... making bags for my pipes from chamois. It is easy to work and just feels nice. It should protect the pipes nicely.

I will post pics of the results when I get the chamois.
Anyone else use this leather?
Oh, the satchel. I bought a horse hide leather satchel/brief case years ago while working in Colombia. It is a great bag. I just uncovered it in storage while packing stuff for our house move. It will become my new 'man purse' to carry all the 'possibles' with me.
Pics later this week I hope.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've used a chamois for buffing when making pipes, but most of the leather in my pipe collection is suede and Italian leather pipes socks, and a sheep skin tobacco pouch.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
A chamois cloth, used to dry cars might not be very durable for sewing? (great for drying my cars).

Deerskin is probably a better alternative?

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Nevada, do you intend to reback the book in chamois? If so I would strongly suggest looking elsewhere for a backing medium, chamois would not work at all.
Regards,
Jay.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Jay, no, i am just using it as a wrapper to protect the book while it is riding in a pocket in my briefcase. The book is rather fragile, being a lot older than i.
Al, real chamois is a goat/small deer, but I suspect the stuff being sold is usually sheep. All are very similar when prepared as a 'chamois'. They are tumbled until soft and pliable. I am still waiting for the Chinese ones to arrive. The little skin I got from Walmart is fine, but the others should be large enough to make something out of.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
At one time I sewed pipe gloves (covers) for my meerschaums using chamois from the auto parts store and 50lb. weight cotton fishing line (needed a BIG needle!) The chamois was prone to tearing, but with careful stitching I made it work. BTW, I've abandoned the practice of covering my meers.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"The book is rather fragile, being a lot older than i."
Nevada, I have books that were bound in the 1600's and if on the rare occasion they are taken out of the home a good quality (and correct size) library box is used.
That said, if you wish to use chamois leather then simply sewing two large pieces together to form an envelope should suffice.
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.