PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
There's plenty of us here. We're the odd, possibly-off-their-rocker smokers who like that polarizing or downright offensive tobacco that "no one" would smoke if they had a half decent set of taste buds or a functioning nose. You know, the one with a completely disproportionate dose of condiment, be it perique, latakia, lakelands, or the ungodly Vitamin N content. What's worse, we have the audacity to defend our heretical mixture of choice and even recommend it to the unsuspecting victim. So, would the lunatics identify themselves and the culprit blend?

As for me, I love Star of the East Flake and all of its lat-bomb glory, and can't resist ordering those two onces of Billy Budd every second TAD or so. I also can't wait to try Pirate Kake, if it's ever in stock when I order.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I've actually enjoyed the sample pouch of Paladin Black Cherry that I got as a freebie, despite being warned that I'd better like cough syrup if I was going to actually smoke it, and it may wind up in my Aromatic rotation along with 1Q and Vermont Meat Candy... 8O

robusthermit

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 9, 2012
I lean toward strong blends in the evening. I have a bowl or two of G.H. & Co. Brown Irish X, S.G. 1792 or Ten Russians after dinner. I am also a fan of Billy Budd, Nightcap, Triple Play and Old Joe Krantz. I smoke burley blends early in the day and after lunch but once I am home with a full belly I need alot of flavor or Vitamin N.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think fixing Borkum Riff up with a few less doctored tobaccos is fairly crazy. It's alive!!!!

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I just got done smoking pure Turkish tobacco from Peter Stokkebye and decided it could use a little latakia (I'm not an English smoker). So I sprinkled a little touch of it and it really makes it come alive.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Guilty aa charged. That's about all I smoke. Lat heavy blends like Star of the East, Pirate Kake, Red Odessa, Engine 99, Campfire, Westminster and Abingdon. The worse the room note, the better they smoke IMHO.

eazye77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2012
You are going to love Pirate Kake! I got a sample of it months ago from P&C and I couldn't stop smoking it! Love that smooth lat taste it has. I'm just a sucker for anything that reminds me of the outdoors and PK has a nice rich smokey taste like a camp fire.
Would love to hear to hear your opinion on it Erich! :P

heffeweisse

Might Stick Around
Sep 9, 2013
Never knew that "crazy" blends existed. However, if the taste relates to a "strong" blend. I really enjoy the Balkan Sasiani :puffy:

latbomber

May 10, 2013
I didnt know billy budd was "crazy" haha, thats basically all I smoke! I think something like black xx rope is on the crazy side.

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
I like John Patton's Cool Hand Fluke. 40% Perique. I'm working up to Aleister Crowley's 100% Perique soaked in rum....

lincolnsbark

Apr 11, 2013
I really enjoy C&Ds Cross-eyed Cricket but I imagine the strength of the added "rum punch" to a lat blend turns many people off.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Yeah Cool hand fluke is pretty strong stuff, unless you like very earthy non sweet virginia's, almost on a bitter/sour flavour, it's not for you. I had a sample of it and ultimately decided it wasn't for me. It's definitely a perique bomb, flag to lawrence.

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
I think Lawrence's Grousemoor counts as a "Lakeland Bomb" but I have some Condor queued up to challenge it for the title.

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
To my taste, Grousemoore is NOT a Lakeland bomb. It has none of the flavor of a typical Lakeland essence infused blend, nor the base tobacco's or cut. In fact, there's nothing Lakeland about it, other than being made by SG.
If you want Lakeland....look in my cellar. Here's what I have, and ALL are true lakelands.
Condor (The best! Very strong, very floral, but in the most manly way possible. Violet comes to mind.)

Ennerdale Flake (Most "floral". Has been often compared to smoking Granny's underpants. Yum. Very tasty!)

Kendal Flake (Very floral, but the flower is a Rose. I love it.)

Bracken Flake (Floral and sweet, but in the background. You still taste the tobacco and VERY STRONG. If you like 1792...you will LOVE Bracken Flake)

Dark Flake Scented (VERY STRONG. Floral, but also leathery)

Kendal Cream Flake (Floral, but least so. Burley is easy to detect. Yes, it's creamy.)
I pretty much ONLY smoke lakelands. My pipes are so heavily ghosted, that even when I smoke Carter Hall, it still tastes like a Lakeland! (which I like very much!)
For me a typical Lakeland must be either a flake or a ready rubbed flake. It must be mainly comprised of dark fired leaf. Virginia's and Kentucky Burley. And- it must be ultra-strong in nicotine! It must have that sweet floral taste- whether in the forefront, or in the background.
You definitely must try Condor. It is without a doubt to me, God's gift to pipe smokers.
I'm thinking to many, these blends are "Crazy!". I love them and can't get enough!

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I pretty much ONLY smoke lakelands.

I smoke my fair share. My favorite lakeland is probably Gawith and Hoggarth Rum Flake. The interplay between the sweet floral and the strong tobacco underneath is very well done. It has a good strength as well, a fine tobacco.
I also enjoy both Kendal and Kendal Cream Flake. Glengarry Flake is very nice. Ennerdale is a bit much for me in the pipe. I had one tin come with the seal broken (dry as a bone) so I crushed it for snuff, which worked well. I am stateside so have not tried Condor or any of the other English favorites.
I also enjoy both the SG and GH Chocolate flakes occasionally.

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
I'll have to give those a try, Sallow. Thanks for mentioning. I'm surprised you like Kendal Flake, but find Ennerdale too much. I find the flavoring to be equally strong, but Ennerdale being more of a purple fancy soap scent, and Kendal more of a pink. I like them both, but prefer Ennerdale as I have to be in the mood for the rose in Kendal. You can get Condor online from e-tobaccos. You actually end up paying the same price you'd pay in the UK when you include shipping. It's around $10 for 50 grams, but you have to order 5 packs minimum. A little risky if you're not sure you'll like it, but if you like lakelands, I can't see you not loving it. If you buy and don't like, I'd be more than happy to buy the rest from you. Can't get enough.

bigdude007

Might Stick Around
Jan 27, 2011
I've only just recently tried Condor and considering it's available at most petrol stations and newsagents you would have thought it would have been the first I tried. The Lakeland isn't as full in your face as say coniston cut plug.

Also I've found a larger bowl of it suits me best.

If you are able than you should get some.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
You can get Condor online

I might do this in a few months, it has to get in line behind some others I've been meaning to cellar. I also saw the St. Bruno, is that worth a try also?
It looked to me like they had Erinmore in the old rectangular (not the square) tin. Do you know if that is the case?

Status
Not open for further replies.