PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My Dunhill authority on Forums is foggymountain who sold Dunhills (and Kaywoodies, etc.) at a pipe shop in Manhattan when he was a teenager in the fifties, and when I think Kaywoodies cost more than Dunhills, or soon after that point in history. I think he still has about one hundred, but he doesn't smoke much or at all because of health considerations. He only visits Forums now and then now.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
pappymac do you think that it might be a shape 41 (tapered billiard)? I notice the 5 is a different print than the 4 and the 1. Not sure what the five would be however :?

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
On the other hand... if they were transitioning to the new 4 digits (which, I think was a year later). It could mean 4 (group size), 1 (bit- tapered), 5 (general pipe shape - Dublin). It does resemble a Dublin a bit more than a traditional billiard, not quite as canted as many Dunhill Dublins.
BTW, I am, obviously, no expert.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
On the other hand... if they were transitioning to the new 4 digits (which, I think was a year later). It could mean 4 (group size), 1 (bit- tapered), 5 (general pipe shape - Dublin). It does resemble a Dublin a bit more than a traditional billiard, not quite as canted as many Dunhill Dublins.
@dcon - That is pretty much what I've come up with so far. It definitely looks like a Dublin.
What is really throwing me is that the stamping I've seen example of for a Red Bark is different in that this one isn't stamped ODA for example.

wBuuWaL.jpg

QJ7GtlT.jpg

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I emailed The White Spot and received a reply about the shape. It is a Group 4, tapered stem Dublin.
No information on why it had no other markings or stamps.

Status
Not open for further replies.