PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I'm looking to buy a HD projector for gaming and movie watching. Anyone have one? What do you have? Reviews? I've been reading all of the specs on all of the projectors but it is very taxing to wade through the info. Any input would be helpful.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
What's your budget? How big is the surface you want use as a screen? Are there any windows in that room; or will you utilize shutters to block out light? I can better help you with that info...

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I was looking at this one Optoma GT760 720p 3400 Lumen Full 3D DLP Gaming Projector with HDMI ready for PS4 and Xbox One

by Optoma

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
That's tough... No windows helps, but having a surface that big means you'll need 2500+ Lumen lamp anyway. With the high contrast ratio you'll need, you may need to look for something manufacturer refurbished with warranty just in case. $600 is a bit tight, but this is the best you can do for about $50 more.
http://www.projectorpeople.com/Optoma-GT760/Projector/28837
It has the bare minimum contrast ratio, lumens and refresh rate that I'd recommend. On the plus side it's 3D compatible for a good price, and it's DLP. But most people that utilize projectors for gaming with computer generated images and all the fast moving stuff are looking for 240hz at 40K:1. Those will double or triple your budget unless you look for refurbished. Good luck and if your considering other options; I recommend Optoma and Epson and maybe Acer they have some nice stuff out now, but shy away from Viewsonic.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
You should look at BENQ as for a screen sand a section of the wall and paint it flat white . here is a link http://www.beachcamera.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=BENQMX503&ref=bizrate&omid=105&CAWELAID=230006090000003901

houndstooth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2013
I've got two 16mm projectors (one xenon, and one regular tungsten). Also have about a dozen 16mm feature films in my collection. Most are film Noir &/or B&W, but I do have a few color films too.
No digital projectors.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Houndstooth, you the man!
I had a wonderful 16mm projector on loan to me whle I was in film school. It would shut down immediately if there was a break, and never, ever melted film. But it went back to it's owner, my High School TV teacher, a few years ago. I suspect that it's sitting in his basement. He's a pipe smoker, BTW, and often imbibed during the school day...a rich Latakia mixture, if I remember correctly.
I still have a Moviola bench in the basement, with sound heads and everything...it's kind of romantic, but editing video on the desktop is SO much better.
Same with shooting film. I haven't loaded a roll of film into a camera since 2003, and I'm tickled pink about that.

houndstooth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2013
Very cool, woodsroad! I used to have to thread up a Moviola upright to screen dailies for my first boss many years ago. I still shoot 35mm still when I am shooting for myself. As a cinematographer by profession, the days of 35mm origination are pretty much certainly behind me now. For the last many years I have been shooting digital formats, but for my own stills, I still prefer to shoot film. Sorry for the thread hijack...
Back to the regularly scheduled posting!

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
The title got me excited at first, I too still thread up the film projectors. AND still have new prints made on a regular basis.
I am curious how the Optoma works for you if you get it. It looks like replacement bulb costs have come down a lot since digital projectors first became big. I could use a new one too. Mine is pretty old...let's say it was up there when 800 lumens was thought to be GOOD. :rofl:

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Houndstooth, congratulations on your success. My first love was cinematography. I settled for photojournalism.

Back on topic:
I have an Epson VS400, now discontinued and replaced by the slightly better VS410. I bought it for doing presentations because at 4k lumens and a minimum focusing distance of 30", I can throw a big, bright image in a small room. I would not hesitate to buy this projector used on eBay. The VS410, new, is $900 shipped.

Status
Not open for further replies.