Who Be Ye Smokers? (Pipes, Sanity, and Moby Dick)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bowhatchie

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 27, 2010
Wow... having read Moby Dick several times... I still had not realized all the references to the hobby we all love so much!
Great read!

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Oddly enough I'd just packed my Chacom with some of Jack Sterling's Boston Whaler Crown & Anchor, then checked my email to see your update to the articles and headed over there to read it--a most serendipitous combination! Great article, and it's making me want to reread that old tome.

yoru

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2011
This new look on the great whale of a sleeping pill makes me give it some respect, though moreso in the writer of the essay for pointing it out and elucidating it to a more imperative and deliberate allegory than it may have been (it is undeniable many an allegory was only noted after publication of a work, and never by the author, though that may not be the case here).
Very enjoyable read.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Having been forced to read Moby Dick in HS and having hated it then I grabbed a copy a few years back and read it again. Dang how did it get so much better in only fifty years? I would love to see more connections to pipes in literature.

buck67

Can't Leave
Aug 4, 2010
Little Rock
"Sunken ship commanded by real-life ‘Moby-Dick’ captain discovered"
I found this article on Yahoo this morning. It appears the boat was located somewhere off the coast of Hawaii.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Visited a whaling museum on Long Island earlier this summer, and one of the exhibits was a typical whaling

crew sea chest, and sure enough, right there on the top of the sparse items each man was allowed in limited

space was a tobacco pipe and cloth bag of tobacco.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
I often think how bad he had it smoking his pipe without the benefit of us telling him how to do it, but never posted it because it because somebody wouldn't take it as intended, as a joke. Good read & movie.

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
Last part of the movie MOBY DICK
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryIK9TLAoAs&feature=share&list=TLWpCG_dz19Ns

Aug 14, 2012
Moby Dick is the Great American Novel. The only book to challenge it for that distinction is the novel Melville wrote after it, called Pierre, or The Ambiguities. Melville was considered insane after writing Pierre, and his career was over. It was really a 20th century novel from the 19th century. I have read Moby Dick several times. This is a good article.

Status
Not open for further replies.