Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

daxp

Lurker
Jul 23, 2013
I got some 4th Generation 1897 last Thursday, and put it in a jar when I got home (mostly so that it would fit better with the rest of my little collection). I grabbed the jar and opened it up and noticed a small patch of white stuff near the bottom of the jar. After some googling and inspecting, I think it's bloom. It's sandy/powdery, doesn't stink, is easy to rub off, and doesn't discolor the tobacco. Most of the tobacco mold I saw was yellow/green or even blue/red, too.
Anyway, does this sound safe to smoke? And if it is bloom would it be better to let it age for a while to form more bloom or just go ahead and smoke it whenever? I haven't noticed anything on my other jarred tobaccos.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
I say smoke it. If it were me, I'd just smoke the parts that don't have any of the white stuff. I don't know a whole lot about plume, but I'm sure one of the other members here can help you out.

captainbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 5, 2010
It is impossible for me to be absolutely certain. However, I think you may have a mold problem from tobacco that was tinned too wet! If it were me, I would return it and ask for a replacement. I have known this to happen with tobacco that is aged too moist. However, it is a rare thing. I do not recommend that you smoke it based on your description. It could possibly make you sick. Once that tobacco molds, it is history in my book!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Too fast for plume, but if it wasn't there when you cracked the tin it's more on you for not drying it before jarring it. I can't see them replacing it if it wasn't there to begin with. All my McClelled's tins are always wet and need a ton of drying time, but the only time I've found small bits of plume was on a 4 year old container I got. I'd chalk it up to a learning exerience. But if it doesn't smell bad, it probably isn't mold as mold stinks horribly. It's too soon for plume to happen though.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
There is a big difference between plume, bloom, sugar crystals (what ever term you prefer) and mold. Mold will be furry and you will not be able to wipe it off. If it appears to be "crystallized" and can be wiped clean, chances are it is not mold. I have a lot of tobacco which had crystals on it from the tin right after purchase. Just because the tin is new to you, it may have sat on the suppliers shelf. Or, maybe the blender is using very old leaf in the blend.
Look up moldy tobacco on Google Image, and compare it to what's on your tobacco.

captainbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 5, 2010
Please, believe me when I say that I do not want to make any enemies on this Forum. But, I disagree. Being a Blender for 43 years and having the benefit of working with Craig Tarler of C&D for many years to develop my blends, I can only tell you that "if the tobacco is not ready to smoke out-of-the-tin, there is a problem". Those are Craig Tarler's own words to me (a direct quote). That is not to say that "Aging" might not enhance tobacco according to your personal desires. Aging is a separate topic. But, according to Craig Tarler, any blend that leaves their factory is ready to smoke. There was an instance where a non-aromatic blend did leave the factory and mold was reported. Craig told me that the entire batch was destroyed and re-blended. Anyone that complained received a replacement. Personally, my opinion is, when you pay good money for tobacco, you should expect a satisfactory smoke when you open the tin. If not, there is something wrong and it is not the intention of the "Maker".

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

daxp

Lurker
Jul 23, 2013
The tobacco didn't seem very wet. It was moist, but I'd rate it about the midrange from the tobaccos I've had, not too moist and not too dry. I don't think I could return it either, I don't have the receipt or the tin it came in so I'd just be bringing in a jar of tobacco. Sure, it'd smell the same, but how can they be sure I'm honest?
Whatever it is it's definitely not fuzzy, and it comes off very easily. I ended up removing most of what I could see when I was just picking around and inspecting it! I think what I'm going to do is just let it sit for now. If it's bloom it won't hurt it any, and if it's mold it should be pretty apparent after some time, right? I'll just keep it well away from any other tobacco to be safe.
And I'm going to admit, I don't know a whole lot about aging tobacco. I jar mine just so that it'll last longer and so I can buy more at once to keep a nice little collection on hand. I'm still pretty new to the world of pipes, there's so much to learn! I had never heard of bloom/plume before I got this tin and googled around.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
+1 Captainbob, I have often said the same for cigars. If I'm paying 10-12 bucks a stick they better already be pretty much prime. Like daxp, I only jar my tobacco for better storage rather than aging. If, in this process, some tobaccos are enhanced then so much the better! Also, great to have someone with your blending experience on hand!

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Recently tinned tobacco can indeed have bloom, plume, or whatever. I opened a tin of Jacknife Plug that had plume on the bright middle section and I recently opened a tin of St. James Flake that had plume on it within a day or two (don't remember if it was there on opening). Penzance will produce plume very young, too.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Yeah excellent post Captain Bob, I don't understand people who talk about how they have to let a tin age for a few years before trying it. If you don't like it off the hop, you probably aren't going to love it anytime. With the exception of Va's though, Va's definitely get better with time, but if you don't like it to begin with, you probably aren't going to love it no matter how long it ages. I think this is the same with pretty much all tobacco blends.

Status
Not open for further replies.