PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

uncleblackie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2014
Different cuts of tobacco/different blenders, but I taste a similar slightly sweet aromatic flavor in the two blends.
Has anyone had the same experience and do you have any insight into what this might be?
On a side note, I have only purchased one tin of White Knight and it is the only Hearth and Home tin I have ever purchased. The tobacco is great, but about half the tin was shake/powder and I was really disappointed with the presentation. With all the rave reviews, I am willing to believe it was a fluke.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Not only was my tin of WhiteKnight over dry, but also the tin of BlackHouse I bought at the same time. I wasn't awe struck by either of them so I mixed them together, added a handful of latakia and spritzed the mix well with distilled water. The mix gets a good shake every day, and will be ready to test soon. 8)

nurseman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 8, 2014
I get the same flavor from the new Balkin Sobraine - if fact add some mixing lat to And So to Bed and they are very similar .

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
On the subject of dryness, I can't comment on WhiteKnight since I've yet to try a tin of it, but I have a pound or so of BlackHouse in the cellar and agree that it is on the dry side. However, according to Russ that is by design and was done intentionally. On the positive side of things you get more actual tobacco in a tin with it dry than you would with it moist and if it is too dry for your likings you can at least rehydrate it to a level more suitable to your tastes. Personally, I don't mind the dryness, despite my initial concerns, and I actually enjoyed a bowl of BlackHouse last week that was excellent -- as usual.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I'm sure we're tasting the Oriental varietals in addition to some fine Va and maybe a couple kinds of Lat?

I think this stuff is dreamy. Tasty. Delicious. Right there with Nightcap and Sasieni, which are also not too darned bad. I haven't had a problem with breakdown of the ribbon cuts, but it is packed very tightly and it is sort of dry, not that that is a bad thing, so that when you try to get some out, you can crush what's below?

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
I love White Knight and I taste nothing of an aromatic. The orientals, and probably the particular lat do make it have a more of a citrusy flavor, balancing some of the smokiness of the lat. I haven't had the same experience with the shake, but I haven't bought any in months because I love it so much I stocked up well when it was new. So maybe they're having some issues now.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
I have 1 tin of White Knight. The moisture content is 19%. That is not dry by any means. Quality control may be an issue though. Some may be dry, while others may be "just right".

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Along with those two blends and Balkan Sobranie, I get the same sweetness from Mac Baren's HH Latakia Flake and C&D's Pasha's Dream.

uncleblackie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2014
To be clear, I was not commenting on the moisture level of White Knight. The moisture was just fine. I was only saying that my tin contained way more shake and powder than I would expect. I mostly buy G.L. Pease, Esoterica, and Samuel Gawith and I have never had the same experience with these brands.
I still plan to try Black House at some point but will not likely buy White Knight again. I liked the flavor but it's just a little light for my current tastes.

Status
Not open for further replies.