PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

hooboy

Starting to Get Obsessed
I have a kaywoodie that is what they call a "white Briar" in billiard shape . My question is " Is there such a thing as WHITE briar color or is it a process to give this color to natural briar'?

I have to believe it is a process to color briar and If so why not Green briar, Yellow, purple, pink, etc, etc.

Does anyone have a clear understanding of this??

Inquiring minds or, a Mind is a terrible thing..... to waste.

hoo

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I have a dream that perhaps one day, we shall judge briar, not by the color of the wood, but by the content of its character :)

calabashed

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2015
Those are finished in some kind of white paint or lacquer, not sure exactly what they use.
@Nate :clap: :rofl:

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
I've heard milk paint was used to get white. There are a few carvers currently using a bleaching process to get really light wood blasts, but it isn't exactly snow white.
I'm guessing for the old white kaywoodies you could get the white off and you'd find normal colored briar underneath. Not that I'd want to do that.

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
It's most certainly white paint. Other companies, during this time period, made painted pipes in many different colors. For example the Dr Grabow Color Viscount, and Color Duke line.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
It's paint. A quite tough and heat resistant paint. KW,Medico,Grabow and others made painted pipes.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
+1 ejames, I cleaned off the white paint on a nasty looking White Coral Kaywoodie, and it was a bear! (I should have chosen a smooth finish) That paint, whatever it is, is pretty tough. My problem with the white painted pipes is, that if not in really nice condition, they look like a dirty toilet bowl to me. Apologies to all white paint pipe fans... :roll:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I recall a pipe shop that featured a sign warning, "Don't smoke paint!" close to their unfinished basket pipes. I thought it was Wilke in NYC, but Carol did not recall same.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Nate, your a gas man :rofl:
Just the kind of material you want to set on fire and put in your mouth :mrgreen:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
White briar aside, briar does seem to come in a range of hues, if you look at an array of unfinished pipes, all the way from very light briar that looks almost like raw pine to some deeper shades that are more brown or reddish in hue. I'm sure the pros who buy briar by the lot can identify these with specific locales and maybe even altitudes. These guys are the briar shaman and don't often share information, I'd guess.

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
Yes, the "white briar" was just painted. I love the garish 70s colored pipes, including the "the Pipe" pyrolytic graphite ones. When I started collecting pipes as a kid, I bought from a drugstore a Dr. Grabow which I wish I still had: it was marked "squat bulldog," was basically a straight, diamond shank rhodesian/bulldog shape with a saddle bit, and was painted an ugly color somewhere between olive and forest green. I'd hazard a guess that the "White Briar" was attempting to visually imitate, cheaply, a meerschaum.

Status
Not open for further replies.