Which Tobaccos Smoke a Magically Long Time?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
So in my experience most tobaccos I've tried burn for roughly the same amount of time. What I mean is, for any given pipe, I can generally predict how long my smoke will last. That is, until I ran into McClelland's Christmas Cheer 2015. This stuff seems to last at least 50% longer than any other tobacco I've got. A 75 minute smoke with anything else lasts 120 minutees with Christmas Cheer 2015.
So what's my question? What other tobaccos seem to be very slow burning yet provide a rich smoking experience?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Many flakes and plugs, Old Dark Fired for example. You can get a long smoke from a small pipe with flakes and plugs.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Star of the East seems to smolder for days, but then again, I usually smoke it in a squatty bulldog with a pretty large chamber.
The two Va flakes I smoke the most, OGS and LBF, both burn long for me. Even when rubbed out thoroughly, they give me a lot of mileage. I smoke them in smallish billiards to maintain more of a "normal" smoking duration.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
All of the following blends smoke nice and slow for me if you either fold and stuff or cube cut them.

Virginia Flakes:

Fribourg&Treyer Cut Virginia Plug TR

Fribourg and Treyer VintageTR

Fribourg & Treyer Special Brown FlakeTR

Wessex Campaign Brigade Dark FlakeTR

Wessex Brown Virginia Flake TR

Wessex Gold Virginia Flake TR

Wessex Gold Brick TR

Samuel Gawith Best Brown Flake

Samuel Gawith full Virginia Flake

Hamborger VeermasterTR

Dunhill Flake TR

Astley’s no. 44 Dark Flake TR

Astleys 109TR

John Aylesbury  Luxury Flake TR

Rotary Navy CutTR

Capstan Blue FlakeTR

Brigham Klondike Gold TR

Virginia/Perique Flakes

EscudoTR

Solani 633 TR

Samuel Gawith St James Flake

Dunhill Deluxe Navy RollsTR
Virginia/Burley/Kentucky Flakes

Solani Silver Flake TR

Peterson Perfect Plug

GL Pease NavigatorTR

Petersons Irish Flake

Peterson University Flake

Esoterica  Stonehaven

Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired

Wallace Flake TR

Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky TR
Aromatic flakes.
Mac Baren Modern Virginia Flake TR

Mac Baren Vanilla Creme Flake TR
TR means tin ready, smoking with no drying time.

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
I don't know if it's unusual but I don't know that I've ever had a blend that didn't smoke well. That being said I don't typically smoke aromatic blends, and like a lot of flakes.

May 31, 2012
The technique presented here would be an extremely long 'n slow smoke;

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/smoking-plug-straight#post-909094

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Although I mostly smoke flakes, which generally have a longer duration, the longest smoke I have experienced was actually a ready rubbed. Gallahers rich dark honeydew, which was an added bonus as its my all time favourite. If you look at the old tins (see MLC's splendid historical account on gallahers) they actually boldly claim/guarantee that it lasts longer than any other available brand! No mean feat when you consider the opposition of the time, plugs twists etc. dark Birdseye & the current (but totally different) honeydew by gawith hoggarth also last an exquisitely long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.