PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 15, 2011
I'm thinking my next pipe buy is going to be a Peterson because I don't currently own one. Had one when I first started smoking a pipe but hated both the P-lip and the shape of the pipe so I traded it off. I'm looking for something like a straight billiard, but with all the different lines of pipes that Peterson makes, which one should I go for that is best value for money? I realize there are Petersons that can be had for around 50-60 bucks, but I don't want to get one if they are junk. I'm looking to stay right around the $100 area. Which value line of Petersons do you guys like best? Or would I be better off going with an estate? And if I do get an estate, which estates do you guys like the best?

batdemon

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 20, 2011
I've had good luck with the Donegal line. They won't cost you an arm and a leg and the ones I have are all well constructed.

Aug 1, 2012
Do you want a bigger pipe or a smaller one? That'll help narrow down your options. And yes, I would go estate because of the length of the break-in.

Jul 15, 2011
Do you want a bigger pipe or a smaller one? That'll help narrow down your options. And yes, I would go estate because of the length of the break-in.
I was thinking of smaller to mid sized bowl. I was looking at some other Pete estates on Briar Blues that look pretty nice. I suppose I could check the bay as well.
EDIT: Oooooooooooooohh, just eyed a 2013 St Patricks Day pipe for a great price. *does the happy dance*

Aug 1, 2012
I'd go with one of the 2 DeLuxe Biliards at Marty Pulvers, the Pre-republic at James Island Piper for a bit over your price range or eBay does have some great deals on them. I'd personally stick to the higher grades, like the deluxe or Rosslare (pipedia is a great resource for pete grades). They can be had in estate for ≈$100 with a little hunting. Alternately, you could buy my pete 608 pot (joking).

barleynbaccy

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
The 2013 SPD line does have a good looking stain on it. Maybe one day I'll get one before they are gone. I like the Aran line but thats just me. You can get them in either stem type.

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
Considering that most of the value lines are the same shapes, the variation is mostly stain color and nickel bands or not (not silver on the value stuff anymore). Fishtails are pretty common in the value lines too. The system pipes are pretty distinctly "Peterson" and there is a straight billiard in the line. The shape 31 is right about $100 too. Personally, I've all been partial to the Irish Made Army line. The Draculas are new but pretty popular if you like the look of them. The 107 shape should be under $100.
The only thing I would probably avoid is the heavily lacquered style like the Killarney. Alot of people love them but I have heard about the stain blistering if smoked too hot and I'd rather avoid the issue.
Obviously, estates will give you more bang for the buck and old pre-republic billiards aren't hard to find.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
IMHO, if you like smooth finishes I would go with the Aran line. If you like sandblasts, I would go with the Wicklow line from SP.com. If you like rusticated pipes, I would go with the Donegal line. If you like military style stems, I would go with the Irish Made Army line. The choices are endless when it comes to Petersons! The St. Pats are very nice looking pipes as well, I've always wanted one of those myself. If you get one let us know how she smokes! Good luck!

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
My Aran Canadian fits all of your points. It's a medium sized bowl, has beautiful grain and was actually under $100. My notes on this pipe are: Bought from pipesandcigars.com for $87.99

Straight tapered canadian with a silver band

6" long

1-3/4" tall bowl

1-1/2" inner bowl depth

3/4" inner bowl diameter

Vulcanite Mouthpiece
Break-in was a b*tch due to stain in the stem. But now it's an excellent smoker.
peterson_aran_canadian-600x382.jpg

For a bit more money (reg $200, but I picked it up for $163), this is my favorite, a Peterson Rosslare Spigot 107 Fishtail:
pete-ross-spigot.jpg

And zero break-in issues.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
I'd recommend you try a Peterson Kildare. A new Pete line developed by Sykes Wilford and only available at smokingpipes (no affiliation). They're army mounts, with nickel shank butts. Personally I like the 999 shape.
IMAG1475-1.jpg

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I love my Kildare 999 - it's not a straight stem, but it fits the hand beautifully and has been a great smoker. It comes in the fishtail and p-lip (which I really like).
My friend liked mine so well he bought a Shannon 999 fishtail (couldn't find a Kildare) - the finish on the briar isn't as warm.

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
In the price range you're looking at, you can't go wrong with either an Aran or a Donegal Rocky - I know I'm very happy with mine.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Pipe Novelist, I am a big fan of the Peterson's I happened to have bought. They've all been successful. It's not in the

shape you are favoring, but while you are shopping, or perhaps for the future, take a look at the B11 shape, which is

a bent brandy (some have called it a volcano). It's not a heart-throb pipe. It's a low-key take on a classic shape, though

with a distinct Peterson look. Its bowl is commodious but not extra large, a roomy Group 4, I'd say. But it is a pipe that

you will pick up instinctively for a good smoke, and that will get even better over time. I have a Killarney ebony with

silver colored bands, and a Shannon, both in B11 shapes. Fishtail, of course. These are mostly in the $100 range,

maybe a little less for the Shannon.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Almost forgot - I hope it's okay to recommend these folks: http://www.jamesfox.ie/ . I bought my Peterson Rosslare Royal 106 from them for a fraction of the price I would have paid in the U.S. Mine's a Dublin, but here's a fine billiard for $110.00 EU (around $144 US).
peterson_rosslare_royal_irish_6.jpg

http://www.jamesfox.ie/rosslare
The Rosslare Royal line is considered one of their high end lines (better briar, etc than a reg Rosslare). The reg. "classic" Rosslare's usually cost more here in the U.S. than J. Fox sells the "Royal" for. Here's the manager of James Fox on how to pack a pipe (a popular video):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XHYPso7TXs

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
After doing my semi-weekly "just looking" on that famous auction website, it might be a good idea to go there and look at the new -vs- estate. There is an estate Harp Billiard w/Cumberland stem for $85 w/free s/h. There were several estates that looked interesting.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Six:

Since my allowance for the next few months went to a truck repair, I didn't do more than look at the picture and general description so I didn't catch that the stem wasn't genuine. I know that if you send your pipe to Petersons, they'll do a stem replacement for around $40.00
I was looking for a ladies pipe for my wife, even though I doubt that she would ever smoke it (severe asthma) There were several 1950's German Ladies pipes listed.

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
I hear the small Peterson's, the Tankard and Belgique, are often regarded as "ladies" pipes.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
I love & own Petes. But.. I like a larger pipe and bought some online I turned around & sold right away because they were too small. Next Pete I buy will be from our local B&M. Just me! Gotta feel it.

Status
Not open for further replies.