PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I am pretty sure it has to be Billiard. I cannot imagine that there were any Billiard pipes before English spelling was standardized.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Billiard. I've often wondered how it was named. Perhaps the association is with the roundness of the bottom of the bowl, like a billiard ball.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
I think the only time I've seen that straight pipe referred to as a billard was in a shape chart insert from a catalogue of a certain site sponsor.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I've always gone with billiard but now I'm going with bigpond's pronunciation. Pipe smoking really brings out the posh in me. :D

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
If the "i" is pronounced like "y" as in "yerd", you're good to go!
Billard is a proper name, at least in France, but doesn't mean the same as a billiards table, ball or cue.

Mar 1, 2014
Mmm, nope. The first half of the word sounds exactly the same as the name "Billy."
Take "Billy Ardvark" and cut the "vark" off (same as Bigpond).

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
So, where did the name "Billiard" come from? I haven't been able to find a definitive answer. The best explanation I have heard so far was that at the time the shape was named, the game was very popular, so whoever came up with the name for the pipe shape named it after the popular game of the day. Maybe. Good thing the popular game wasn't craps.

billiard pipes

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Mmm, nope. The first half of the word sounds exactly the same as the name "Billy."
Take "Billy Ardvark" and cut the "vark" off (same as Bigpond).
OK, regional differences. Where do you live?
In NYC, a club I belonged to had a "billiards room"- pool, snooker and billiards. It was pronounced "bill-yerds". The "i" was mostly swallowed. YMMV.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Spelling and pronunciation are different.
The pipe shape is spelled: Billiard, there are no alternative spellings.
On a pipe forum no one cares how you pronounce it, unless you post a video.
Regional pronunciation is different. If you don't pronounce words like the locals, they know you are not one. For example, if I was in Mexico or France asking for lunch, they would know right away I was not a local person.

Status
Not open for further replies.