Which Is Better Choice - Thick Walls or Thin?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I'm looking at two almost identical Stanwell pots. The primary difference is one has .3" in thicker walls and is .5 oz heavier. In theory, the thicker walled pipe should burn cooler. The lighter one should clench better.
Opinions?
Pipe Length:

5.6"
Bowl Inner Dia.:

0.7"
Bowl Outer Dia.:

1.9"
Bowl Height:

1.7"
Bowl Depth:

1.3"
Artisan:

No
Pipe Weight:

2.1 oz

Item #: PM-PSWBHK-11-R

Brand: Stanwell

5.6"
Bowl Inner Dia.:

0.7"
Bowl Outer Dia.:

1.6"
Bowl Height:

1.6"
Bowl Depth:

1.1"
Artisan:

No
Pipe Weight:

1.6 oz

Item #: PM-PSWBHK-118-R

Brand: Stanwell

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
I would go with the pipe with thicker was because you said it should burn cooler. I don't know about burning cool but it should definitely burn cooler than a thin walled pipe of the same brand.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have a weakness for thick walled pipes, or at least thick enough so I can wrap my hand around the bowl (in deep thought no doubt) without feeling much heat. I have a few thin walled pipes that I enjoy, holding them by shank if they run a bit hot, but that extra insulation is pleasing and gives a nice feel of heft, though some thick-walled pipes are nice and light weight.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Well, even the thick walled Stanley is just 2.1 oz. I'm a clencher, so weight is important. Just wasn't sure if the lighter one might be subject to burnout. A guy in the industry told me it is the quality of the briar that determines how cool a pipe burns, not the thickness. But here I would assume it is the same quality briar, so the thicker one should burn cooler.

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
A thin wall pipe will not necessarily smoke hot but the bowl will usually be hotter and harder to hold in your hand.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Good point, Darwin. Thanks. Are you going to be smoking Fire Storm with us this Friday in the tobacco crawl?
And following up, would you consider 2.1 oz still in the clencher class?

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
I like both, but I use thicker wall for a hotter burning tobacco, and thin wall for a cooler long smoke, like Gaslight. Not because they smoke better, but I think thin walled pipes are easier to hold if it's not too hot, and slow burner is my m.o. but I like the looks of some thin walled pipes, the thickness goes with the design imo, so when I want to smoke out of a thin walled I go for a cool long smoke, when I want to smoke something that tends to burn hotter and shorter I smoke a thicker walled... generally speaking :lol:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I would go for the thicker walled pipe. I had a Rad Davis Belge that had very thin walls. It was a fine smoker and it burned fine, but I found I had to alter my smoking style to keep the pipe smoking cool. I got rid of it because I don't like having to change my style because of the pipe. When I buy a pipe I now make sure the walls are going to be thick enough so I don't have to alter my style. 2.1 ounces is right at my top end for weight on a pipe as I am also a clencher, it should be fine as long as the button on the pipe is done right.

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
Are you sure those measurements are right?

Judging from the picture on the website, it's hard to believe that with a bowl of .70" inside diameter that the outside diameter is 1.9". That would be more than half an inch of wall all around.
Edit: never mind. I guess the billiard depicted is just an example, and the pipe in question is a pot.

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
"Good point, Darwin. Thanks. Are you going to be smoking Fire Storm with us this Friday in the tobacco crawl?

And following up, would you consider 2.1 oz still in the clencher class? "
Nah I'm coming too late to the party for the crawl.
I think 2.1 ounces is the far limit of acceptability for a clencher unless the pipe is at least a half bent. I have a Sav Trevi 3/4 bent that clenches just fine at a touch over three ounces but my 6.5" Chacom canadian at less than half that weight is only clenchable for a few minutes, for me at least.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Darwin, you're always welcome guest at the crawl even if you are only smoking one of the selected blends.
Thanks for the info. You're right, shape needs to be considered as well as weight to determine clencher. I had an om-paul that was heave but we just fine as a clencher. Got a lot of smoke in my eyes when doing any closeup work or reading that required me bow my head even slightly. But it was one of my go-to pipe for years.

graydawn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2014
In my experience thicker walls generally produce a cooler bowl but as I prefer pipes under 30 grams that is hard to find. Usually older English makes with Algerian briar fit the bill.

beastkhk

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2015
I feel like it is being touched on with others replies, but to call it out directly: the tobacco should burn close to the same temperature in both; thicker is just going to take longer for the heat to transfer to the outside of the bowl where you can feel it with your fingers.(and in some instances dissipates enough that can't really feel it at all)
Door swings both ways on that, usually considered a good thing as is more comfortable that way, but one could in theory be utterly blast furnacing the inside of their chamber and not realize it right away due to the delay of the heat transferring. Not likely going to be a problem for experienced smokers, but there might be some lurkers reading through that are new to the hobby and I wouldn't want them thinking a thick bowl is automatically a cool smoke.
If anything it might be better to learn on a thin walled pipe with the mentality of when it gets hot I need to stop and put it down for a second, or concentrate on draw and cadence so it doesn't get hot in the first place.(I acknowledge that there are pipes that just like to burn hot regardless of how disciplined the smoker is with form)
Given a choice I would still lean towards the thicker walls, not because of the comfort of the outside not feeling as hot, but more because I feel a lot of issues with fissures and cracking are going to be due to the material not heating or cooling evenly or too fast/rapidly. A thick walled pipe should be better suited to handle both of those conditions. :) I think of them as the cast iron of smoking.

moriarty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2012
I completely agree with Beastkhk. Also, is there really a risk of burnout on a thin-walled pipe? In practice there ought to be less risk because you would notice the pipe getting very hot and you would put it down to cool. And a thin wall should dissipate heat more effectively because wood is such a poor conductor of heat.
I'm not sure there is really much risk of burnout anyway - briar is incredibly resilient. I assume burnouts are more likely due to a large, hidden fissure in the briar than due to smoking too hot. I think you'd have to really abuse a pipe to an extreme degree to burn a hole in it. What would it really take to cause a piece of briar to catch fire? I suspect burnouts are so rare they are much closer to myth than reality. It can happen but how many of us have actually experienced it first-hand?
Anyway, I have pipes with thick walls and thin walls. My first consideration is whether I like the shape. But I do like the hand-feel of a thicker bowl - it doesn't get as hot and it fits into my hand in a more satisfying way, to me.

menuhin

Oct 21, 2014
It just a matter of taste and preference, I like my pipes to be lighter weight.
As of heating I think like beastkhk - thick wall pipes are like cast iron cookware (less sensitive and store more heat) and thin wall pipes are like the copper cookware (more sensitive to temperature change of burning tobacco inside but store less heat).

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I think conventional wisdom is thick walled pipes are better (clenching aside) as there is more briar to insulate your burning ember- reduced chance of burnout, damaged bowls, smoking too hot, etc.
Now, you have to weight that against youe clenching to see what needs outweigh what. I believe Brian Lavine, from the pipesmagazine radio show, says he always wants 1/4 inch around the bowl minimum.

Status
Not open for further replies.