PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtgallet

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2013
I keep hearing about "Frog Morton". I am new to pipes, but not new to smoking and I HATE Dunhill Nightcap. Which Frog Morton blend would be best for me?

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
Disclaimer: I have not tried any of these tobaccos. The following opinions are based on my findings from people who have (on the forums).
Dunhill Nightcap is heavy in Latakia, all of the Frog Morton's are a bit on the light Lat side. Most forum members seem to prefer Frog Morton's Cellar and Frog Morton on the Town. However those that do like Frog Morton on the Bayou and the original Frog Morton seem to swear by it. The Froggies are a good blend to see if you like Latakia with as they aren't too strong in it. It's almost like a gateway blend. I would recommend you try FMC (Frog Morton's Cellar) or FMOTT (Frog Morton on the Town) as they have been the highest recommended and best reviewed. I do think that FMOTT has a bit of Perique in it (I may be wrong, but I don't think I am). So if you do not like Perique maybe be expecting it when you o to smoke FMOTT. As far as the other Frog's I don't know which have Perique and which do not, or even if they all do. The Froggies do seem to be very well loved around here however so I expect that you'll like them, just know that they have Latakia in them, which Dunhill's Nightcap also has.
Hopefully this helps,
Shayde

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
And since you are new to pipes, might I recommend the Aromatic from Sutliff Privat Stock: Molto Dolce. It's my favorite tobacco so far that I've found on my journey. The tin note is delicious and carries over fantastically into the smoke. It tastes just like it smells and is sure to warrant compliments from any and all nearby (family members, love interests, and friends alike). Good luck in the journey of pipedom I hope that you find a blend you like :)
Also another thing that might help, the seasoned pipe smokers on the site best find a Froggy for you, would be to tell what blends you've tried so far and like.

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
Don't smoke the wood block/barrel stave in the tin though.
I always wondered if anyone has ever thought that, but Cellar is definitely good, I would also make sure to try Bayou since it will give you an intro to Perique tobacco. Good Luck.

~Ron

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
You know, I only smoked a bowl of the Bayou, but I have to say its my least favorite.
That's how it was for me so I let it sit in a jar for a while and it turned out much better.

~Ron

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Now here's a thought, Nightcap has a sprinkle of Perique in it, noticeable enough for me to hate it.... So do FMOTB and Peterson's Balkan Delight ( which was a big disappointment to me ). Perhaps the OP should clarify what he didn't like about Nightcap.

If the OP liked the Latakia, then FMOTT and definitely FMATP are the ticket. I find the original sort of blahhh another light English. Haven't smoked the Cellar yet, thanks for the tip on NOT smoking the little sticks 8O

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
I've got FMC and FMOTT on my next Tad order that I'm paying for this Friday if you smoke either of them, let us know what you think!

howulikeit

Lurker
Nov 3, 2013
You can't go wrong with any of them in my experience. On the Town was my first Froggie and has a special place in my heart but Cellar is very popular in the community and up there with On the Town on my favorites list. Just don't overthink it too much, they're all pretty similar :)

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I'd say try the Cellar first, then Across The Pond and On The Town, then the Original. All of them are very good IMO. As far as On The Bayou goes, I'm not a big fan of Perique, but I do like OTB fairly well.

mtgallet

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2013
I don't know what I dislike about the nightcap. I cant say because I can't quite put my finger on it. I don't like this very distinct flavor reminiscent of hickory or something meaty and sweet. I for some reason think on the town sounds like something I would like but i may be wrong.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
That hickory smoked meat flavor you are tasting is the Latakia. All of the Frog Morton's have it, but to a much lesser degree than Nightcap, and it's presented in a much different way.

tamer291

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2013
I would start off with the Frog Morton original. Keeping in mind that you will still taste the latakia but it wont be as prominent. This is what Im doing. Im starting to enjoy it and hope to get a tin of FM Cellar soon.

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
A few months ago a friend coming back from the States obliged me by picking up a few tins of tobacco and a few cobs. While I could have completely destroyed his weight allowance with what I wanted, I decided only on two tins one of which was C&D's Autumn Evening but I was torn between FM Cellar and Presbyterian Mixture.
I went with Presbyterian Mixture because this stuff was made prior to WWI and because I'm a history guy and I like shit like that. I have yet to pop the tin, but when I do I hope to experience a little bit of what those guys in the trenches might have been smoking while waiting for Fritz to attack.
However, FM Cellar is getting such good reviews that I hope I don't have buyers remorse.....
Go get you some Cellar!

james80

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 16, 2012
I got sent FMOTT recently. I enjoy it, much sweeter than any Lat blend I smoked before. So I have ordered some Bayou from 4noggins.
I enjoy Nightcap, but not Presbyterian Mixture. Thats not say you wont enjoy it Pipefish, but it just tasted to me like sour fruit.

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
I enjoy Nightcap, but not Presbyterian Mixture. Thats not say you wont enjoy it Pipefish, but it just tasted to me like sour fruit.
Sour fruit, eh? Oh oh.... :crying:
And I coulda had da cella!! Well, tastes are all different so I'm hoping sour fruit suits my palette!

james80

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 16, 2012
All tastes can be different, I expected much from PM probably too much. But please let me know how you get on with it. My own tin has been jarred and I will return to it at a later point.

Status
Not open for further replies.