Which Do You Prefer? Salt Or Cotton Balls For Bowl Cleaning?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I've been using salt with alcohol to clean estate pipe bowls and shanks for some time. But I've noticed that some of you use cotton balls instead of salt. I can see how the cotton balls would be less messy and make it easier than having to try to get all the salt grains out. But can it be said with any real certainty that one is better than the other for cleaning out pipe bowls?

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I use cotton balls or paper towel and alcohol rather than salt. There's some risk of dissolved salt working itself into the wood and then crystalizing, potentially damaging the briar. That takes a long time, though.
Rather than a retort, I use the faucet and a brush. Plain water, even hot water, won't do any damage because briar doesn't really absorb much of the water anyway.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
When I've needed to I've used the salt and Everclear method. Never had a problem with it as the salt came right back out. Thankfully most estates I've boughten have been cleaned or were not in need of a salt and alcohol treatment.

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
You do miss out on the extra sterilization properties when not using salt as it is a natural antibacterial agent. Not sure that's particularly relevant with all the alcohol that is used in the process though and cleanup is so much easier with cotton. Just pluck the cotton balls out of the bowl with a pair of tweezers and your ready for the next round or move on to the next cleaning step as the case may be. I've only used cotton balls on the few that I have done so take my advice with, well, a grain of salt. :D

Jul 15, 2011
I've tried cotton balls in the past and find that, in my experience anyway, they don't do NEARLY as good a job at sucking out all the gunk as salt does. Granted, it's been a little while since I've had to do this to a pipe, but my vote goes for salt.

stosho

Might Stick Around
Aug 10, 2013
I've been using the salt with Everclear and having success. I have not tried the cotton balls but it seems like the salt may work deeper into the shank.

tobyducote

Lifer
Jun 10, 2012
New Orleans
I've used both...for regular cleaning, I use cotton balls...but for really ghosted estate pioes I start with salt and end with cotton balls

antbauers

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Cotton balls over salt because it's less messy. Salt has given me the same results so why not go with something cheaper and less messy. Not sure if scientifically one is better than the other. Maybe the cotton balls work better to absorb gunk but the properties of salt (or the combination of salt/alchohol) yield better cleansing? Not sure, but I haven't noticed advantages over one another.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Ok, thanks for the feedback, but I guess I'll just have to buy some cotton balls and test the difference for myself. I think on some pipes, like Peterson's system pipes, the salt would work better, as it could be used to fill the shank with the reservoir and bowl better. I read the blog by G. L. Pease, about using activated charcoal in the bowl, and even though it looks like it would work the best, there seems to be some risk involved, not to mention some careful monitoring. Guess I'll stop over thinking it and just proceed as planned with the salt and cotton balls, and see what happens.
Love them old pipes though... :D

mrdottle

Lurker
Jan 13, 2014
Kosher salt (larger crystals easier to remove) and Everclear. I have never tried cotton balls, i.e., you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
I've tried using cottom balls as well as salt. If the pipe chamber is not as bad I'll use cotton balls but if is going to require a tougher treatment I'll always go with the traditional salt and alcohol.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I've only had to do the salt routine one time, with a pot shaped estate pipe that was ghosted with...pot! I used Brandy (hey, it was what I had on hand), let it go for 36 hours, with Brandy added from time to time. It worked a miracle! Cannabis, and its oils, needed the full Monty. Broke the pipe in with stern English blends, which I think also helped. I typically ream and sand back, which alone, has been very sucessful. Experiment, and go with what works for you.
Dave

bwithers55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 17, 2012
I've cleaned hundreds of estates and never had to use the salt and alcohol treatment. I've concluded that my palate tolerates what many consider unpalatable.
I recently sold an estate that the buyer told me tasted funky. I was pretty shocked, offered to take the pipe back and moved on. He wondered if I used actual soap to clean my pipes. Nope. Just everclear soaked pipe cleaners.
I wonder of he tasted the ghost of my Gawith Hogarth (Lakeland) blends.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I used salt for a long time before I tried cotton balls.

The cotton seemed to work just as well, and it's a lot less messy. So for me, it's cotton balls all the way!

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
I've traditionally used cotton balls but have recently experimented with salt on two estates I've been working on. While I think the cotton balls overall have better "wick" properties than salt, the salt appears to do a better job due to it's ability to hold the alcohol. I'm finding that, due to the crust that develops on the top, the alcohol doesn't "flash off" as quickly giving it a longer exposure time to the walls of the chamber and the appearance of pulling more gunk out of the pipe.
On the next estate I do, I'm thinking of experimenting with a hybrid method. I'll fill the chamber with cotton balls and saturate with alcohol as usual but will put a thin layer of salt at the very top. The layer of salt should draw enough alcohol from the cotton to form the crust and hopefully an evaporation barrier. This should give the cotton the same "dwell time" you would get with salt before the alcohol completely flashes off and hopefully provide a better cleaning from a single round while still maintaining the convenience of the balls.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
pitchfork, I have seen some restorers specifically note that they avoid getting water in the bowl or shank. What is the supposed risk in allowing water into the interior portions of the pipe?

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
buroak,
I have no idea what the "risks" would be. There's a persistent myth that briar is highly porous and absorbs moisture. :nana: It does, I suppose, but very very slowly. I've seen pipes cut in half and the tars of well-smoked pipes barely got more than half a millimeter into the wood. I've done the same with an old pipe of mine and the briar inside was clean as a whistle. Anyhow, I guess if there were lots of tars or cake in either the bowl or the shank, the water could cause those to expand in a bad way. And yet, the cake and shank are going to get wet anytime you actually smoke the pipe. I would say the real "risk" is that you'd have wet cake in the bowl and damp tars in the shank.
When I clean an estate, unless it's really old and potentially fragile, I pretty much go down to the bare wood, so I don't see any risk there.
In any case, I've literally washed estate bowls in the faucet with warm water and a toothbrush (for the chamber) and you would never guess which pipes I had done that to.
Final thoughts, if the stem is already removed, a really wet shank will expand enough that the stem won't go back in properly without risking breakage. You'll have to let it dry. Otherwise, I've found plain water to be plenty safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.