Which blends have a potential to turn "cigarettey" or "cigarish"?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I have read many reviews where some complain that the given blend tastes like cheap cigarettes if the cadence is wrong, if the tobacco is too wet, etc. Is this dependent on a given blender? Leaf- burley vs Virginia? Mixture? What?

downinit

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 18, 2016
I believe this can happen to just about any blend if you smoke it too hot, that's why it's important to dry out tobacco and slow down.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
To me, Va's and VaPer's can get more cigarettey while Burley blends can get more cigarish.
However, as already pointed out, it's all about keeping a relaxed pace.
Easier said than done ... I burned through 3 bowls of GLP Triple Play while unloading a trailer today. :puffy:

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Quality tobacco contains a huge number of volatile compounds. Heavy puffing stokes the heat up so high that it more than releases them into the smoke but pretty much burns away those flavor agents right in the bowl leaving few left for the smoker to enjoy! So I guess what you are left with is that cheap cigarette taste.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Never smoked nails, or not after a few sampling sessions, first as a six-year-old, and later high school age with a cousin. Enjoyed cigars for years although never daily, or even weekly. However, some bagged "pipe" tobacco is RYO cigarette tobacco packaged for a tax break. At least the room note is a bit ciggy, though if you smoke it slow in a pipe, it can be okay Virginia (mostly I think), depending on brand, or just blah. I just don't get cigar flavor from a pipe, even when I enjoy cigar leaf by itself. Cigars are engineered to give a certain experience, and it isn't like a pipe to me. My favorite cigars are Dominicans, which I like better, in general, than the Cubans I've sampled.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Referring to Toobfreak and Alecaker,as a former (and somewhat present)cigarette /Ryo smoker I can confirm Virginia/Kentucky and some Vapers can easily turn cigarettishly harsh if smoked in a hurry with wrong cadence, not pleasant experience,though I'm used to this.With Burley I havent had this to occure in the same degree than with some virginas(for instance,Rattrays Old Gowrie and OGS).

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Actually, Doc, there are a lot of RYO tobaccos deliberately mislabeled as "Pipe Tobacco" to evade the higher tax class of cigarette tobacco.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Well I am not close to being an expert (not even in the same ball park as most rank amateurs) hence the stupid and probably inane questions on my part. But, come on, surely no one puts cigarette tobacco in their pipe? I guess I stand corrected.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I guess the obvious question has to be, is it good cigarette tobacco? I do not remember hand rollers using anything that came in such large packages. No thanks. Apologies Didimauw for the doubt. Even I am not that much of a sucker as to think that would be good smoke in a pipe.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
My first time was a Chinese corn cob and a bag of "pipe tobacco" that I found our was actual cigarette tobacco. So sucker am I...

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
OK, how did you end up with cigarette tobacco in your pipe? I suppose I could have if I had not had my grandfather to watch smoking PA and other codger blends. I knew enough a long time ago to start with those.

Status
Not open for further replies.