PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Tried to grab a box recently and noticed all the usual vendors are out of stock. I called SPC to ask when they expected resupply and learned they've been backorders since September. I haven't seen FVF oos everywhere for a couple of years. Anyone have any insight?
In the meantime I'm looking at dark flakes in a similar vein. Have heard a lot of folks mention Blackwoods Flake alongside FVF. Think I'll give it a go. Do you have a FVF stand in?

jaydublin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 11, 2015
A huge change of pace, but if you haven't tried Irish Flake yet and you like it strong and dark - it will definitely hold your interest while you wait. If it didn't knock me out, IF would be my numero uno.

Does it have to come in bulk? And, by "dark flake" do you mean a stoved bright Virginia, as in the Blackwoods or are you interested in a darker Virginia that is cured to a darker color, as in SG Best Brown or Astley's 44, which are two favorites of mine. Blackwoods is really good, McC's Red and Black is an excellent mix of stoved and red flakes. McC's Matured Virginias are all great, IMO.

Favorite alternatives to FVF for me are Klondike Gold, Capstan, F&T Vintage Flake.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I remember about three years ago it was almost as elusive to find in stock as the Esoterica blends. The boom hit and people latched on big time to FVF. Sam Gawith couldn't match the supply for the demand. It seems the tins are in stock on a more regular basis now. SmokingPipes has the tins available at around $9 a tin.
For another nice straight VA I'd suggest Newminster's No. 400 Superior Navy Flake. Great Va and it's in bulk at SmokingPipes for $35/lb.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
I recall SammyG had retirements and workforce issues, as well as a flood. Those would have caused a temporary supply problem. On the demand side, the hoarders seem to have moved on to other fare.
hp

les

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I wonder if the lack of SG products available online has anything to do with the relocation of manufacturing back under the Gawith Hoggarth roof? It was a couple of months ago that they announced the merger of the two companies manufacturing locations, so that makes sense to me.

Mar 1, 2014
In the radio show Bob from Samuel Gawith said that the move to the Gawith Hoggarth factory was supposed to increase supply greatly.
In the meantime they seem to still have St. James Flake, if you don't mind a bit of Perique in your Va then it's virtually the same thing.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
The shortage a few years ago was caused by a flood that ruined the tobaccos they had on hand. When people saw it was taking a while to resupply, the sight of empty shelves caused panic and frothing at the mouth consumerism took over. I've noticed that the boxes are out of stock more often than the tins, I wouldn't worry.
As for substitutes, as Frozen suggested, St James is great and very similar. Of course the other dark Virginias ,sans perique, that live in the same realm as FVF for me are Astley No. 44, Capstan Blue, Wessex BCDF, or FVF's little brother BBF.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
P&C has a sale on the tins, $8.49. They are back ordered, but they'll fill your order when they restock.
If you don't want to wait, try Wessex Bridgade Campaign Dark Flake. It's sweeter, but very good, and much cheaper than Capstan Blue.

elbert

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 10, 2015
Some of it just went into my pipe. Not sure where the rest is... :wink:

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
I wonder if the lack of SG products available online has anything to do with the relocation of manufacturing back under the Gawith Hoggarth roof? It was a couple of months ago that they announced the merger of the two companies manufacturing locations, so that makes sense to me.
If you are seeing a dip in supply this is a good bet as to why. Fortunately I have a decent stock so I don't really watch it. I'm glad I do too as I'm worried the change in facilities will change the blend. Probably just paranoia but will be interesting to see once the merged facility stock gets into circulation. G&H has a bit of a reputation for letting the lakeland essence sneak into even their unscented blends. If this happened to the SG blends it would be a tragedy for me. A few of SG's non-lakeland blends are some of my top favorites, I'm not looking forward to any kind of alteration in their flavor profile. Again, probably just paranoia on my part. :)

gecko13

Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
In place of FVF, I'd recommend Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. Bright CR Flake. The lakeland topping is very faint and burns off quick. Is a good VA flake and it ages very well.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
In place of FVF, I'd recommend Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. Bright CR Flake.

Never had fvf, I have 10 tins of it aging, it's just one of those blends I know I'm going to love, but Bright CR flake is one of my favorites. There is no lakeland topping on it, it may have a bit of cross over scent, but it's not intentional. Even then I find it more of a nutty almond flavor than anything floral or perfume like.

oldreddog

Sep 4, 2014
I understand that FVF also forms part of other Gwaith tobaccos, so I suppose it's in other tins.

Status
Not open for further replies.