PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonahtke

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2012
Seeing as I am prepairing to be a first time pipe smoker (and don't have a local shop that carries pipe tobacco). I was hoping for direction as to what I should try first. I don't want my first smoke to be aan unpleasant experience. I am also interested in finding an online vendor that offers "variety packs" that would allow me to try small amounts of various "makes and models" of tobacco.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I'd throw in a 8oz. of Lane 1Q as well.

Good stuff all around.

Its room note evokes nostalgic memories in those around you when you smoke it.

Lightly sweet, touch of honey, mild, and tasty.

It makes a great "go to" smoke...

Lane 1Q is a great starter... and keeper.

It was my first bowl of pipe tobacco more than 35 years ago, and still a much beloved staple.

:puffy:

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
If you want an easy smoking tobacco that smells nice and can be bought in any corner store I suggest Captain Black in the white pouch. Also until you know if pipe smoking is right for you or not I suggest you buy a corn cob pipe to start out with as they are cheap as dirt....good luck

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Lawrence and Barkar +1
Starting out with 1-Q or CBW will optimize your chances for success.

So many beginners have their enthusiasm quenched by blends that would challenge a veteran smoker.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
Hello, jonahtke.
Welcome to the forum.
All the suggestions here are good, but honestly there's no way for us to know what kind of tobacco you will like, hence the suggestions to try a mild blend. Many of us started with 1Q.
If you can get a sampler package, see if you can try samples of:

1. an aromatic (1Q is good)

2. an English blend (I like Seattle Pipe Club's Seattle Evening)

3. a Virginia or Virginia/perique blend (maybe Villiger 1888 After Dinner)

4. and a Burley blend (I'll let others suggest).
Most any blends will do. But even more important than the blend you start with is the technique you start with. Any tobacco can be ruined by poor smoking technique. Please start by reading this: Pipe Smoking Tips.
And let us know how you do. For many of us our first smoke was far from our best. As you learn what tobaccos you like and how to smoke them properly, your enjoyment will only increase.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
Sage advice here in this thread.
Starting with aromatics is a good plan because their flavor tends to be milder. Pipesandcigars.com has such a great selection of pipes and tobacco. Start with briar!

wnghanglow

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2012
Like everyone else says, pipesandcigars is a great online shop, I would start with some aromatics, for me I can't get enough captain black, people say q1 is an upgraded version but I like the captain more. Also pipesandcigars will sell you a cheap bair for under 30 if you want to go cheap, and if you buy 100 from them it's free shipping, depending on how much you want to spend. Also pipesandcigars has starter packs. That one with pipe baccy cleaner and tampers, I havnt checked te price so idk if that is a good deal or not. Welcome to the club! Smoke long and prosper :)

jonahtke

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2012
Turns out that Walmart carries captain black. Double the price of pipesandcigars. But good to know its there in a pinch.

Status
Not open for further replies.