PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stranger

Might Stick Around
Apr 27, 2016
Trying to breath some life into an old estate pipe, but I haven't seen one like this before.I am hoping this is a dumb question but what happened here? Where the wood seems to be missing appears symmetrical. Help a newbie out here! (hopefully the pictures turn out)

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
Agree. Looks like the meerschaum lining lost its bottom in what appears to be overly vigorous reaming, & asymmetrically on the walls of the bowl as well.

I'd remove the remaining meerschaum, back to bare wood, & see if it is salvageable.

jeepnewbie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
I agree with the Meer lining, I have a Phoenix coronation like that. I think some were designed like that as the bottom looks even around the base. Unless you are smoking to the very bottom I'd leave it, I'd leave it no matter what. If you do want the bottom even with the lining use a bit of pipe mud to even it out. That way you can keep the coolness to the touch when smoking.

stranger

Might Stick Around
Apr 27, 2016
I had never heard of a meer lining before! The pipe is leather wrapped with no visible brand or markings on it. After googling meer lining, it seems like this has been an issue for a few people in the past, and with the shape that I got this one in, I am now not surprised that there are chunks missing. I'll keep working on it and I'll see what I'm able to do with it.

Thank you for the replies!

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I have some Kiko meer lined pipes (also clad in leather) and they are built up from the bottom with two or three meer rings, no solid one piece of shaped meer.
This is what I reckon you have. If I am right then it never had a meer bottom.
Regards,
Jay.

stranger

Might Stick Around
Apr 27, 2016
Jay, would there be any benefit to having some of the bowl lined and some not?

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I cannot be certain but my guess would be to keep costs down. Far easier to make a load of rings than to make entire bowls.
The fact that the bottom of the bowl is not lined would be a direct consequence of this. I shall have to dig mine out and check but I am pretty sure (but not 100% certain) the bowl bottoms are bare briar.
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.