PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

barepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2017
I have a trip to New York City coming up in January. I will be in Lower Manhattan for a couple of days, but with limited free time.
If you had to go to one pipe friendly tobacco store in New York, which one would you pick?

Jun 25, 2017
Nat Sherman is the best in terms of atmosphere and browsing. It's stepping back in time. The other options (Barclay and Davidoff) are more of a luxury accessories shop now with tobacco. But Nat Sherman is proper tobacconist and has the best selection of bulk blends. You'll be a fan of #536 if you like Balkans. The seating isn't necessarily a lounge though. It's a few chairs in the middle of the store. There's also a proper smoking lounge/bar in the basement but it's not always available to use. If you have questions about anything, ask for Michael Herklots. He's sort of a big deal in tobacco retail now and has a HUGE knowledge of tobacco.
Davidoff on 6th Ave has a nice seating area and a small but solid tinned tobacco selection. It's pricey, but they had some Christmas Cheer and other limited tins. Ask for Kevin if you have questions about pipe tobacco there.
Davidoff at the WTC is pretty much a bust unless you're in the WTC area. Limited tobacco selection (maybe 4 tins total on display?) The lounge is pretty nice though. And there's lots of food options around. Le District, in the same mall, has lots of craft beers and food. But again, only go there if you're looking to buy a majorly overpriced pipe or one of four tins of tobacco.
Barclay Rex in Financial District (their only location now) is a great option. They have a strong tin selection and several house blends. You can find most of their blends on tobaccoreviews.com. I'm a fan of Maiden Lane. It's a Frog Morton type smoke. There's also a lounge in the basement.
My two cents:
If you're looking for an old fashioned tobacconist atmosphere with a good selection for browsing, Nat Sherman.

If you're looking for a solid choice of tinned tobacco and an "ok" place to smoke downtown, Barclay Rex.
My personal suggestion would be to purchase some tobacco at the Nat Sherman townhouse and then walk up to the Carnegie Club. It's a huge, 1920's looking cigar lounge. They have killer cocktails, a satisfying food menu, and plenty of comfortable seats. If you're there on the weekend they also have live jazz and/or Sinatra tribute shows.
And just so you know, all of this will be pricey.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I really liked Nat Sherman, 12 East 42nd St, with the huge clock over the door. If it's not super busy, you might ask for Cliff Gold, lead sales associate. If I recall, he said he commutes over from Jersey. He put me onto Nat Sherman 536 in bulk, an elegant English, which I enjoyed in a rocker near the humidor, in my Jerry Perry bent billiard orange stain pipe. Plenty of elbow room, but still a comfortable relaxed atmosphere, elegant and cosmopolitan.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Downtown: Barclay Rex for sure.
Midtown: in addition to Nat Sherman, I recommend Davidoff. Fine lounge, great staff, limited choices.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
+1 on the three mentioned above. I find myself at Nat Sherman more than the others since I work in midtown Manhattan. Barclay Rex seems to be closer to where you will be and, IMO, has a bigger lounge area than Nat or Davidoff.

skaukatt

Can't Leave
It's all been said here already but I'd add that for a comfortable place to eat, drink and smoke, after you visited those spots, you should visit Soho Cigar Bar at 32 Watts Street off 6th Ave for a nightcap. Pipe friendly, great people and great atmosphere.
It's right near the Holland Tunnel.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/SoHo+Cigar+Bar/@40.7236469,-74.0043524,15z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x684942c754f2f!8m2!3d40.7236469!4d-74.0043524

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you can get around a little, a great place to eat but not smoke is Katz's Deli, famous for generations.

skaukatt

Can't Leave
Another historic stop over if you have time, is an eatery that is steeped with pipe lore, although you have not been able to smoke there for years - but can still purchase a clay pipe, is Keen's Chop House, literally hundreds of clay pipes are stored in the ceiling. The food is incredible and they are known for their mutton chop. The NY Pipe Club's inaugural meeting was at Keen's and it was also our last at Keen's but that's a story for another time and over a nice bowl of tobacco!
http://www.keens.com/

barepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2017
Ok now I am excited. At least three spots to chooose from and of course now you guys have gone and opened up pandora’s box by mentioning food! Now there is a tough one to decide on.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
NYC is an endless adventure. Don't try to do it all. Pick a few choice tidbits to enjoy, then plan to get back from time to time if you can. Something that is always pleasing, as a repeat or for first-timers, is the Circle Tour boat ride around Manhattan. It sounds a little humdrum, but you see great swaths of the city on both shores that you might never see another way. This may not be the best season, but if you had a mild day with some sunshine, it could be good.

skaukatt

Can't Leave
...and BTW, if fate finds you in my fair city and you are free (you should try to get free!) on Tuesday, January 9th, why not come down and join the NY Pipe Club for our first monthly meeting of 2018! Our meetings are on the second Tues. of each month so that puts the 9th in the cross-hairs if fate finds you here! You will have a great time, I guarantee it!
See www.newyorkpipeclub.com for more details...

barepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2017
Skaukatt, thank you! Sadly, I land on the 10th, bummer. Maybe if Condorlover is in town as well,we can always do a late night nightcap at Soho Cigar

Status
Not open for further replies.