PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stefank

Lurker
Jul 28, 2014
Hello! I've always wondered for the best way to keep your pipe tobacco. I have already stored a few blends I got in glass jars and left it there for some months (half and Half and Lane RHQ-3, improved flavor). But the real quetionsis, do you keep your tobacco tins and pouches together? Do you keep them in boxes or cabinets? I have noticed that pouched tobacco is a no-no to keep with other pouched tobaccos, smells and tastes tend to mix.
Any advices is fully welcome!

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
My daily rotation blends are kept in apothecary glass jars on a bookshelf along with my pipe accessories in my den. My sealed mason jars are kept in a cabinet away from light and heat. That cabinet is also kept in my den.

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
I keep all of my pipe tobacco, sealed tins and jarred up bulk, in the basement. I purchased air and watertight containers (20 gallon) from The Container Store and keep everything stored neatly in those. For blends that I am storing long term I went overkill and even placed the sealed tins within mylar bags and ironed them shut. I have the potential to move around a lot for work and wanted to store my long term stuff in something safe and sound that I didn't need to worry about or check up on.
For the tobacco that is currently in my rotation to be smoked I keep them in jars within a cabinet in the mudroom of my basement. The summers where I live can get quite humid, so I keep a dehumidifier running in the basement all the time. I suppose as an added bonus this will reduce the risk of having the lids on my mason jars rust up. Not too worried about it.

stickframer

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2015
My open tins & jars are kept in a drawer in my bedroom. For long term I currently put sealed tins in a couple of shoe boxes. They are downstairs where the temp is cool and consistent. Square tins go in one of those rectangular Rubbermaid type plastic containers also, well, because I heard that's what peck and Harris do.
All my different tins get stored together in the boxes. You could always put pouch tobacco in a mason jar to keep the flavors from mingling.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Tins, pouches (not segregated), and a couple of jars. They are kept in pockets, the truck, the car, camera bags and on a shelf. Oh, and sometimes a tin or a pouch will find its way to the tractor or shed. I keep tobacco close to the places where I use it.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
All of my unopened tins are kept in a cabinet in my office/workroom. The Mason jarred tobaccos (opened tins) are kept in a very large container in my basement which keeps them out of the light and cool during the summer. Nothing fancy, but it works for me.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
"Where do you keep your tobacco?"
Behind this door...
th

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
My daily smoking blends are in the top (only) drawer of my pipe cabinet. My cellared jars and tins are in the bottom cupboard section of my pipe cabinet and in another cabinet beside my pipe cabinet. Both are in the living room where I usually sit to relax, smoke and watch tv or listen to music. Both are dark and in a climate controlled environment.
One of my winter projects is to build a nice medium sized cabinet that will allow me to keep all my cellared tobacco in the same cabinet. :puffy:
Very nice hunter...you need to show peck that, his storage area is getting a little crowded!! :)

I have been keeping mine in a wall cabinet that I picked up at Home Depot in my bedroom. But, as I am rebuilding the family farm, and will have an extra room for myself in there, I am building a study with a built in wall of cabinets for my pipes, vinyl, and my tobaccos, complete with a huge house wide vent system to draw the smoke out. I consulted with a local cigar shop that is in a mall, where you cannot smell the smoke when there are 20+ men in there smoking. But, as for tobacco storage, I prefer to keep them room temperature 68-72F, behind cabinet doors, and I have even contemplated building cedar doors for the cabinet to add to the aromas of the room. Also, I never buy pouches, so my guess would be to put them in jars.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I am proud master of two drawers and one whole cabinet in the kitchen, so everything is stored there. Dark and not too extreme in temps. Mason jars for everything except what I am currently smoking. Then double thick walled plastic bags, before it ends up in a leather pouch for a few days.

stefank

Lurker
Jul 28, 2014
Great guys! So I wasn't very lost at all. I had a pouched Latakia that smelled so much! Everything went into labeled mason jars already. Im thinking right know thanks to your input to build myself a small tobacco cabinet. I will surely put some pictures!

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
How bad is heat on sealed Mason jars of tobacco? My flats of 8 oz. jars live in my shed/workshop, and it can get pretty hot in there. Anyone have tobacco go "bad" from heat?

gambit88

Can't Leave
Jan 25, 2015
I have an antique china cabnet in my basement and all my pipe stuff took it over. I keep all my jars stacked nicely next to my pipe stands.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
How bad is heat on sealed Mason jars of tobacco? My flats of 8 oz. jars live in my shed/workshop, and it can get pretty hot in there. Anyone have tobacco go "bad" from heat?
I don't think the tobacco will go bad, but I have read where warmer temperatures accelerate the aging process. I've even heard of people "aging" (cooking?) tins in a hot car with the windows up in the summer...........some swear by it.....

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I now have a cabinet that I keep my pipes and tobacco in - glass enclosure, glass shelves. Pipes up top, rotation jars on the middle shelves, and closed tins on the bottom (will be moving the mason jars off the bookshelf shortly). At some point, I'd like to put the long-term storage items in designated coolers in a garage or shed (insulated), but that will have to wait until the next move...

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Huntertrw,you will not want to get your fingers caught :)in that thing closing it in the dark.
My tobacco is in mylar bag/pouches in 6 large stacked tubs from Wall Mart and kept at room temperature. Light is not an issue due to the foiled mylar. Opened tins or pouches are kept in various containers depending on how far from home I will be traveling. I use the round plastic containers ( introduced by Blueeyedogre) for my hip pocket, roll up pouches for a weeks travel, sealed antique jars (e-bay) for a larger amount that will be being dipped into periodically. These jars made of ceramic have a rubber seal with a brass spinner that holds down the lid when not in use. They work very well and are works of art.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
Mason jars and more mason jars... all kept in a cabinet away from light and heat.

I usually keep a jar of Nightcap, Shortcut to mushrooms and whatever else I decide to open for my daily smokes. so usually I have 3-4 jars of tobacco that remain out throughout the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.