PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
I have a Zippo lighter that I inherited. It's nothing special, but has some sentimental value. I would like to get a pipe inset for it, but not the butane one.
I contacted Zippo Canada and was informed that they do not sell just the insert and suggested I buy a new pipe lighter. Zippo USA will not deal with me and keep sending me back to their Canadian offices.
Does anyone know where I might be able to find an original Zippo pipe insert? Might anyone have one for sale?

cabinfever

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2016
Here's one at Amazon, but it costs as much as a new lighter.
https://www.amazon.com/Zippo-Inside-Silver-Chrome-Outside/dp/B009CYU25S

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
Send it back to Zippo. They will replace your existing insert with a pipe insert for free. You pay the shipping to them (about $5.00).
Edit: Never mind.. just saw "Canada" in your post. On the other hand, Canada Zippo should have the same deal as US Zippo where they replace the insert for free.

cabinfever

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2016
Here's a cheaper one on Ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-ZIPPO-INSERT-MADE-IN-USA-NEW-110207-/252785497461

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
He's looking for a pipe insert. I'm in U.S., and I've sent mine in to zippo to repair a loose hinge, and replace the insert with a pipe insert. It took only a few weeks and shipping on my behalf.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
This was mine with the bad hinge.
20170118_152353.jpg

And this was after

20170206_185226.jpg

And the insert, brand new.
20170206_185311.jpg

Ahhh...I love this thing
20170118_152439.jpg

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Unfortunately, Zippo Canada is not nearly as helpful as their US counterpart. I contacted them and asked to BUY a pipe insert. They blew me off.
Both the e bay and Amazon listings are for a standard insert, not a pipe insert. Looks like I'm going to have to buy a Zippo pipe lighter and take the insert out of it...what a waste.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I just use the regular Zippo inserts with the wick slightly pulled above the windproof chimney. Perfect for lighting a pipe.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Maybe it's because you asked to BUY one. Because they don't SELL them. You have to fill out the warranty form, and write in the comments, that you would like a new pipe insert. And it's free.
Maybe Canada doesn't do that, but it's worth a try?
But then again, it's always nice to have a back up...

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
A few years back my son gave me a zippo with a regular insert for Christmas. I contacted Zippo U.S. and asked where I could purchase a pipe insert, they couldn't recommend anyone so they sent me a brand new pipe insert free of charge. Please cool customer service. :puffy:

thomasw

Dec 5, 2016
I live in Canada, and Zippo Canada replaced a regular insert for a pipe insert when I sent it to them in 2015. I'd just send it. But, as others have said, it is a good idea to have a back-up lighter, and an extra Zippo with a pipe insert doesn't hit the wallet too harshly.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
UPDATE
I sent a second e mail to Zippo Canada and this time got the attention of a different person. I again offered to buy a pipe insert and they replied that an insert will be sent to me at no charge.
Zippo now has a lifelong customer :)

Reactions: wyfbane

curl

Apr 29, 2014
Zippo lighters are fairly inexpensive.

My grandson gave me one with a Jack Daniels logo stamped into it; I bought another Zippo, a pipe lighter, and swapped out the innards of the two lighters. Now I have a Jack Daniels pipe lighter and another backup lighter.
BTW, grandson now knows that the hole in the felt is where you keep the lighter's next flint.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Zippo lighters are fairly inexpensive
All things considered, Zippos offer great value, but unfortunately between currency exchange and taxes a new Zippo up here in Toronto goes for about $50.
grandson now knows that the hole in the felt is where you keep the lighter's next flint
What a brilliant idea!!! I never thought of that.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Yes I will always be a zippo customer. I just bought one for my wife for her birthday. I have my main pipe one, a back up pipe one, and 2 with regular inserts. So I don't feel bad when I need to send one in for warranty repair.

Status
Not open for further replies.