Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
I just realized, after reading another thread, that I have never smoked a pipe just for the sake of smoking a pipe.
Au contraire mon ami, I am always doing "something else" simultaneously!
Me, I read forums, Kindle books, watch TV (very rarely), and sometimes work with a hobby; but never, oh never, have I smoked a pipe just for the sake of smoking a pipe.
Note: I always smoke my pipe inside my own home.
How about you?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I generally smoke to complement a good beverage (tea, spirits), or while reading a book on my Lazyboy.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
I love doing nothing else while I smoke. I will watch a movie, read a book or publication but it's nice to just meditate on the smoking itself.

Reactions: SaxonX

freakiefrog

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
I find that there are times I like just sit out on the front porch swing in the spring, listen to the breeze, watch the fire flies dance and enjoy. But most of the times I'm reading a book or whittling on something.

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
When I smoke outside on my front porch, I often do nothing other than watch the world go by.

When I smoke indoors, instead of staring at a wall, I almost always read a book.

skagit

Lurker
Jan 27, 2015
I smoke for the relaxation, so I force myself not to do anything else that would really distract me. I'll read or chat with someone, or take a walk, but never anything that really diverts my attention. Relaxation and meditation is the sole purpose of the pipe for me, and I hate to fritter it away being busy.
To me it would be such a waste to get to the bottom of a bowl and wonder where it went because I was distracted.
--Skagit 8)

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I most often read while smoking my pipe, but I find that fairly regularly, I'll put the book aside and just sit and smoke. If I'm trying a new blend, or if I'm trying to learn something specific about a more familiar blend, I'll definitely just pay attention to the smoke.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Normally the only time I smoke just to smoke is when I'm sitting in the woods by a fire. I could watch a fire for hours.

mephistopheles

Oct 14, 2014
I go outside in negative degree weather to smoke a pipe for the sake of smoking a pipe. Only a hand full of times have I actually done something while smoking (working on my car, yard work, chopping wood, shoveling snow, checking the mailbox). I usually just watch the world do its thing and take note. This summer I'll probably incorporate a few good books and more music into my routine.

jmmize

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2014
Smoke just for the quiet time and thoughts that emerge or not emerge! Just like Brier Rabbit!

indianafrank

Oct 15, 2014
When I'm contemplating, I'm smoking my pipe. Other activities just get in the way of smoking.

pipebaum81

Nov 23, 2014
Most of the time I am smoking and just allowing my mind to wonder. If I am busied by something it would be a book or discussion with smoking company. I go back and forth on whether smoking and doing something else is better than smoking alone. Anything that distracts from the focus on smoking detracts but in turn it provides alternative benefits. I think I enjoy most when I follow my mood.
j/B

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
About 80% of the time! I sit on my deck, close my eyes and totally relax with my pipe. I live in the country, so the birds and rain or sunshine are great companions. The rest of the time I listen to an audio book, or talk with my wife.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I do a bit of both.

Sometimes the tv or stereo is on and sometimes I'm online surfing the web or hanging out on one of my forums.

Other times I will set the music on low and just puff away quietly and just enjoy a nice slow, quiet smoke.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
The majority of my smokes are purely to enjoy smoking my pipe. I sit outside at work a few times a day and just smoke. I don't have anything else going on other than my pipe. While at home I am usually smoking and working around the house or sitting on this frickin website!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm typically reading, listening to music, or at times, both. Occasionally I'll just smoke the pipe and stare at my bushes and watch the birds and butterflies play, that is a good place to be! When summer hits and my buttefly bushes and bee balms are in full bloom, I can sit and watch the hummingbirds fight for an hour. Soon I hope....

thehappypiper

Can't Leave
Feb 27, 2014
I have tried to read while piping, but never got the balance correct and always end up failing in one the activities. I love lighting a bowl and sitting down to a good documentary. Of course the finest way to enjoy a pipe is with another pipe-smoking friend and a good bottle, preferably with pleasant scenery to look at. I do not clench or take my pipe out walking or anything, but a smoke next to a campfire after a good dinner, with a glass of port is a certain recipe for contentment. That is one thing I do sorely miss about living in China

Status
Not open for further replies.